Permission for Sunday 15 september dig

Please post all topics here related to the research and gaining finding permission to metal detect.
paint

Permission for Sunday 15 september dig

Post by paint » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:53 am

i have a small permission of a few acres in Purton in Gloucestershire. Trying to raise some money for the village and have been allowed to invite some guests and fellow detectorist at the cost of £10 each for the day .... there is 3 acres of flat ground and 7 acres of bean stubble. numbers limited to 10 on a first come first served basis.. please pm me if interested for further info

cheers paint

sweepstick47

Re: Permission for Sunday 15 september dig

Post by sweepstick47 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:07 am

Good Luck Ian, Hope it goes well ::g
A disservice is no service at all.

Blackadder43
Admin

Post by Blackadder43 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:05 pm

Arrggg
Would love to come to this one Ian, but i have something pre planned for the morning...
What a shame :(

Folks if you are looking for somewhere to dig on Sunday, then Ian is your man
You cant miss him as he will have colourful braces on

Good luck fella, hope the finds show up too ::g
When you are right no one remembers; when you are wrong no one forgets

Stillburning

Post by Stillburning » Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:55 pm

This deserves to be on the first page again ::g

I'm sorry that due to personal circumstances I have not managed to attend any of your digs despite being so close, hope this is a success, a great way for forum members to get to a small informal dig and to raise some money for charity ::g
I'm still burning you'll never put the spark out in my soul

Saffron

Post by Saffron » Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:57 pm

Yes please Ian

Blackadder43
Admin

Post by Blackadder43 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:03 pm

Bump guys and gals
Anyone at a loss on sunday then for a tenner maybe this solves it....just off the M5 too...
When you are right no one remembers; when you are wrong no one forgets

Saffron

Post by Saffron » Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:22 pm

Cheers Ian for arranging this.

Well that was different !.

A fairly short session metal detecting then a much longer time watching the soapbox racing down the hill (road had been closed to traffic!), chicanes, jumps and even a water obstacle. A lot of work had been put by everybody to make it a fun day, so well done to all involved.

Even our very own paint / Ian took part, and completed the course - well done.

Could have found more if I had detected for longer but had a rather unusual find. A coin about the size of £1 coin, but with a portrait of a man wearing glasses and asian text !.

Took a guess at Indian and Gandhi ..... but was wrong ;;z

A quick bit of research when I got home identified it as a Thai 5 Baht Coin.
The man was King Bhumibol Adulyadej, who ruled Thailand 1946 - 2016 (he was the longest-reigning monarch in the world at the time).
One website said "He was actually quite a bit older than this portrait indicates" and that was certainly true.
The reverse was a Bangkok-based temple.
The Royal Thai Mint started issuing these 5 Thai Baht coins in 1988

Actually once cleaned it will be a rather nice coin and certainly different to your normal find in a Gloucestershire field.

But bewarned folks, somebody (and I will not name names ... but think Dulux sheepdog :)) ) was talking about the MDF putting a team in the soapbox race next year x; x;

Evan

paint

Post by paint » Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:04 pm

Thanks for your report on today that coin was more interesting than first thought sorry i could no spend more time detecting with you Evan today but as was doing the soap box race for charity so next year looking to do a forum team and make a weekend of it detecting saturday and soapbox racing sunday it is organised by a farmer friend who has a fair bit of land so watch out for this next year
cheers paint

stevechelt

Post by stevechelt » Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:44 pm

My belated thanks to Ian for arranging this! I didn't get around to watching the soapbox racing, but now wish I had even if just to see Ian charging down the chicaned course, which I'd gingerly driven up through early. Maybe there are some Youtube clips available, I must check later.

I did spend several happy hours detecting, trying out the smaller CC coil on my Rutus. There were quite a few targets to dig and the machine worked very well. My most prolific finds were silver foil blobs, but amongst them I dug four coins - an 1863 1/2d, a 5p, 2p and 1p! Also a few other bits, two of which I may post in the id section as I've no idea what they are. I'm sure they aren't particularly old or interesting, but they are a little curious.

Evan's Thai coin did look older than it actually is, must have been in someone's pocket after a holiday I guess.

An MDF soapbox team would be interesting, but would the driver keep stopping to detect promising looking grass verges? Maybe we could gain some sponsorship from one of the detector companies, in return for their name emblazoned on the side of our cart!
Tesoro Silver & Royal Sabres (about 30 years old)
Rutus Alter 71

Return to “Permissions Forum”