“Where there’s muck there’s brass” (or in this case, silver)… and I descend into the abyss…

Please post any finds here that you wish help with identification.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT Before Creating an ID Request, Please Follow the H.A.M.M.Y Code Below....

H - Have at least two good sized clear photos, this is Mandatory
A - About your detecting day, type of land, depth found.
M - Measure items by doing the pics next to a scale or ruler. this is Mandatory
M - Machine used? settings? interesting to other users.
Y - You will always get a better ID if you supply more information.

*PLEASE NOTE: Use of a modern coin or written dimensions no longer qualify as a "scale". We need a properly-defined measure - metric or good old-fashioned inches will do.
Roughwood

“Where there’s muck there’s brass” (or in this case, silver)… and I descend into the abyss…

Post by Roughwood » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:16 pm

Hello All.

I’ve been fortunate to recently acquire a new permission – although at the moment (due to crops) I can only go on one field. The field in question has a small pig unit on it, but the farmer and the pig man (very nice guys and very interested in what might be found there) have allowed me to detect on the parts of the field not occupied by the porkers. It’s a bit of a mixed bag - some of it having been previously worked, and some bits left to grow wild. However there's plenty to have a go at, if rather overgrown, so no complaints from me…

In addition, on one corner, next to the road, is a pit, surrounded by mature trees.
The farmer didn’t know much about it, even though his family have been there for generations. I did a bit of research, and interestingly, on an 1883 OS map, it is indicated as a saw pit. I also found a reference to it elsewhere which said it was post-medieval, but not a protected monument. The farmer said I could poke around in it if I wanted, and was interested to know of its origin.

Anyway, I went over there on Sunday and first I decided to have a look at an area near the pigs where they spread the muck when cleaning out the pens. It was very recently cleared, and it has left a very flat, weed free area – perfect for me.
I used the Racer 2 in deep mode, default settings.

Despite the pong (hot day) and the rather sticky surface, and digging plenty of the usual scrap and rubbish, I had some luck and found these three coins.
RIF_0742.JPG
RIF_0740.JPG
Over the moon! Not sure about the hammereds (rather clipped), but I think the other one (based on another I found recently on my other permission) is a William II something. Not much to go on I know… However, I’d be very grateful for any thoughts/ID on these.

I spent a lot of time poking around here and there – and chatting to the pig man who turned up for a while. Eventually I decided to take a look at the pit.

What remains of it is, I guess, about 25 feet by 20 feet and about 12 feet deep in the middle. Sadly, it appears to be used as a rubbish dump (although not as bad as I feared) with the usual detritus – rubble, various metal bits, tyres, wood, paint tins, grass cuttings from a nearby house (why do people do this?) and so on. Also very overgrown at the bottom with brambles, ivy and stinging nettles. I imagine that it was a very different shape when in use – now it is an oval.
Anyway, I didn’t have too much time, so decided to investigate an area beneath the roots of an oak tree. I cleared away some of the rubbish and more in hope than expectation, wafted the detector around. Bingo! A decent signal… had a bit of a rummage with my pinpointer and found this fob seal (minus the matrix bit sadly) which I think is Georgian, under about 6 inches of leaf mold. Very encouraging!

It was now time to leave, but I shall return as soon as I can and try to clear the bottom (although after all this rain, it'll probably be very soggy,) and have a serious go at it. It’s a win win really – might find something really good, and I get to take home some really nice compost!
I’d welcome any advice from anyone who has experience in bottle digging and/or other pit based excavations regards the best way to investigate such sites.

Sorry the photos are a bit dark - many thanks for looking, and sorry for running on…
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Makro Racer 2
Tesoro Silver Sabre Plus
Nokta Pinpointer

Easylife

Re: “Where there’s muck there’s brass” (or in this case, silver)… and I descend into the abyss…

Post by Easylife » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:36 pm

No doubt the first of many good finds for you. Likely a William III sixpence and the hammereds are very encouraging. ::g
Nox 800, 15" coil & Garrett carrot.
White's TDI SL

Buriedbytime&dust

Re: “Where there’s muck there’s brass” (or in this case, silver)… and I descend into the abyss…

Post by Buriedbytime&dust » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:46 pm

That's a cheery looking portrait on the middle coin. Edward IV perhaps?

Edward II London penny for the other one? EDWAR and bifoliate crown lead me to think it might be, but I have been known to be wrong on the subject of Eddie pennies...

Roughwood

Post by Roughwood » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:12 pm

Thanks for the comments chaps. Yes, I think the portrait in the middle makes him look as though he's feeling quite chuffed about something.

::g
Makro Racer 2
Tesoro Silver Sabre Plus
Nokta Pinpointer

Me and my boy

Post by Me and my boy » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:14 pm

Nice hammereds. I bet there will be more there somewhere 🤞
2019 hammies. = 115 (including quarters, halves and broken)
Saxon = 1( broken sceatta)
Celtic. = 1
Silver denarius = 4
Gold Roman = 0
Gold ring. = 0
Gold hammered .= 1😀

Roughwood

Post by Roughwood » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:17 pm

Hope so! Lookingt forward to another delve in the pit...
Makro Racer 2
Tesoro Silver Sabre Plus
Nokta Pinpointer

Bors

Post by Bors » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:34 pm

Roughwood wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:17 pm
Hope so! Lookingt forward to another delve in the pit...
What out for the "pendulum" :D

Lowland

Post by Lowland » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:39 pm

Looking good for future forays ::g
Some lovely silver.
This link bout bottle hunting might have something of use to you ::g
viewtopic.php?f=126&t=103564
Shiny equinox600- taped up spade-dodgy elbow
.....................deeper bliss......................

Roughwood

Post by Roughwood » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:41 pm

Thanks Bors. It'll be interesting to see what lies beneath all that leaf mold etc...

I kept thinking about the film "The Descent"! ::g
Makro Racer 2
Tesoro Silver Sabre Plus
Nokta Pinpointer

Roughwood

Post by Roughwood » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:41 pm

Thanks Rory ::g
Makro Racer 2
Tesoro Silver Sabre Plus
Nokta Pinpointer

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:45 pm

If you're 'up for a challenge' and there's the remotest chance of returning to the find spot, you might like to keep in mind there's half a chance of making an 'eyes only' find of the missing stone/crystal matrix. Conversely, you could take the other route, get to work with kneeling pads, small trowel and a fine meshed sieve.......yeah right :D

Good luck with your future deliberations on this 'permission' ::g All the best - Regards ss47
A disservice is no service at all.

thefiggis

Post by thefiggis » Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:24 pm

In the absence of the master, I'll embarrass myself with having a punt on the right-hand coin being an Edward I London penny 10cf2.

Blowed if I know anything about the central one other than its being York mint.
Essential equipment:
Some sort of electrical gubbins(I'm told it's a Deus). In various colours
Jenkins
Gin.

Spearhead

Post by Spearhead » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:35 pm

I guess the middle could be Irish? I always automatically go for York on these so it will be interesting what Allectus says.
Last edited by Spearhead on Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bors

Post by Bors » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:55 pm

Roughwood wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:41 pm
Thanks Bors. It'll be interesting to see what lies beneath all that leaf mold etc...

I kept thinking about the film "The Descent"! ::g
Or The Evil Dead ! :D Keep an eye on the roots.

Roughwood

Post by Roughwood » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:43 pm

Thanks everyone!

I did wonder if the middle one might be a bit different, due to the cross design. We shall see...

As for the matrix - well I know exactly where I found it, so shall be having a good look!

It's a bit of a gloomy place, due to the trees etc. but hopefully no zombies :(
Makro Racer 2
Tesoro Silver Sabre Plus
Nokta Pinpointer

Allectus

Post by Allectus » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:55 pm

Edward IV Irish penny & an Edward I 10cf1 London penny. ::g

A ;)
British by Birth - English by the Grace Of God.

Roughwood

Post by Roughwood » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:02 pm

Thank you Allectus! The Irish penny is a first for me. ::g
Makro Racer 2
Tesoro Silver Sabre Plus
Nokta Pinpointer

Lowland

Post by Lowland » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:32 pm

Roughwood wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:43 pm
Thanks everyone!

I did wonder if the middle one might be a bit different, due to the cross design. We shall see...

As for the matrix - well I know exactly where I found it, so shall be having a good look!

It's a bit of a gloomy place, due to the trees etc. but hopefully no zombies :(
Hi again roughwood,
Never mind the zombies-it’s the rusty stuff to watch out for,
Also the long forgotten chemical tins.
Farm tips can be lethal-but full of some blinding stuff
We dug one in an old quarry that had house cleared stuff from Edwardian times.
One old money tin had 2 Gold nib Parker pens and onionskin marbles in.
Other stuff that’s good is Vintage machinery parts and badges some early tins are mental money -the list goes on
So go for it but be safe ::g
If you’re really getting in amongst it bolt cutters
and a big hacksaw come in handy.
Last edited by Lowland on Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shiny equinox600- taped up spade-dodgy elbow
.....................deeper bliss......................

Spearhead

Post by Spearhead » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:11 pm

Spearhead wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:35 pm
I guess the middle is be could be Irish? I always automatically go for York on these so it will be interesting what Allectus says.
I'm learning!! ::g

Roughwood

Post by Roughwood » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:51 pm

I shall be cautious... can't wait to get back there! With luck that might be Saturday. ::g

Edit: Spearhead - you've got a lot better idea than I did!
Makro Racer 2
Tesoro Silver Sabre Plus
Nokta Pinpointer

thefiggis

Post by thefiggis » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:00 pm

Allectus wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:55 pm
Edward IV Irish penny & an Edward I 10cf1 London penny. ::g

A ;)
You what? That's a 10cf2 all day long, sunshine, I mean, look at the...er... wossnames on his bonce an that. You know, them ... flowery things... and the not best pleased expression on his fizz...

Shall I shut up, d'you think?
Essential equipment:
Some sort of electrical gubbins(I'm told it's a Deus). In various colours
Jenkins
Gin.

Roughwood

Post by Roughwood » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:56 am

I've just read through the guide that Oxgirl assembled from Lowland and Kenleyboy's combined posts regarding digging in pits... Sobering stuff! Great tips there and I'm very grateful.
::g
Makro Racer 2
Tesoro Silver Sabre Plus
Nokta Pinpointer

Return to “Identification of Finds Forum”