The Mysterious Signal (Part 1 and Part 2)

Please tell us a little about your finds and if possible add a few pictures.
Incognito

The Mysterious Signal (Part 1 and Part 2)

Post by Incognito » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:01 pm

The Mysterious Signal (Part 1)

The tired afternoon had bustled into a welcoming evening and the fields across the way were giving a friendly call, so with my detector over my shoulder I set off to find out why.

Dust paths, streams, hedges and stone walls along the way, a few larks and swallows in the air, it would have been easy to forget that there was any other reason for the walk. Maybe I did forget, but somehow ended up in the field all the same, as second nature as returning home. This day though I had an unexpected visitor, one of the local strays, a peculiar creature that seemed to want company but that was too afraid or independent to approach. It watched me from a short distance, examining anywhere I had dug , and eventually trotted around the field in a haphazard way. I chose to ignore it and concentrate on my own pursuit, but after a few minutes was distracted by a commotion it was making in one corner of the field. Silly creature, looks like it's found an old rabbit hole I think to myself, will be all day trying to dig through this soil.

Well after an hour or so and absolutely nothing to show for it, I work my way over to the corner of commotion, and he's still there turning in circles like a wind vane and scratching to get down, except there is no rabbit hole or anything else there at all, just a shallow scraped out hollow. What else to do but sweep the detector over it. A beautiful solid high tone rings back.

As I pull out the trowel my companion shies back and leaves me to work, then starts to join in the digging (chiselling really, so hard was the ground). Well this goes on for a good quarter of an hour, and we were ten inches down, surely it was no deeper, yet it never gave a stronger closer signal than the first. Sweeping the coil over our excavation again , nothing! Lowering the end of the coil in, nothing! Sweeping over the pile of dug soil, nothing! No signal anywhere by any means. My companion seemed to have sensed the mood had changed, and with one quick look back trotted away leaving me to refill the hole on my own.

Tbc....
Last edited by Incognito on Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fred

Re: The Mysterious Signal (Part 1)

Post by fred » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:26 pm

Ah well, you probably needed the exercise! :D
Equinox 800 x2

thefiggis

Post by thefiggis » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:34 pm

The creature could be a doggie but sounds awfully like Er Indoors.
Essential equipment:
Some sort of electrical gubbins(I'm told it's a Deus). In various colours
Jenkins
Gin.

Ladybird66

Post by Ladybird66 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:52 pm

The secret’s in the wording ‘trotted’ got to be equine. :D

Can’t wait to read ep.2.

thefiggis

Post by thefiggis » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:57 pm

Ladybird66 wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:52 pm
The secret’s in the wording ‘trotted’ got to be equine. :D
Yep. 'Er Indoors to a tee
Essential equipment:
Some sort of electrical gubbins(I'm told it's a Deus). In various colours
Jenkins
Gin.

Easylife

Post by Easylife » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:19 pm

A phantom horse-shoe. :))
Nox 800, 15" coil & Garrett carrot.
White's TDI SL

Roughwood

Post by Roughwood » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:23 am

I hope you've gone back for another look... ::g
Makro Racer 2
Tesoro Silver Sabre Plus
Nokta Pinpointer

shaggybfc

Post by shaggybfc » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:43 am

It's a horse, or a ghost, or maybe a ghost horse... when do we expect part 2?
XP Deus, 11" X35 coil, WS4 back-phones, remote and an empty bank balance. XP MI 6 pin pointer. Garrett Ace 250 wireless MPow set up.
They told me I’d never be any good at poetry, because I’m dyslexic, but so far I’ve made 3 jugs and a vase.

Incognito

Post by Incognito » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:24 pm

The Mysterious Signal (continued)

The following day was very much the same as the previous. Avoiding the corner of the lost signal I decide to search areas I might have missed, up close to trees under the branches, tussocks the coil could be lowered through and so on. I wasn't there long before my companion made his appearance again. Whether he had enjoyed the previous day more than myself I wouldn't know, but I don't think I have to tell you what his intention was on this fine evening. He headed straight back over to his commotion corner.

Detecting we find quite a bit of time to meditate, and here various thoughts amused me, from silly creature, through to silly me. What if the power were low at the end of the previous day, or the cable loosened? Maybe the signal is still there and not hiding in these brambles I'm caught up in? So, resigning myself to being proven wrong, I walk over to the small pit my digging companion had re-excavated. This time yes, a good strong signal, and surely closer than the day before. Putting the detector to one side, I start chipping into the hard soil again. The silly animal kept trying to get in first though, he must have sensed we were onto something, and his paws and my hands were each in the way of trowel and claw. Anything I said to him was taken as play, so eventually I tried to hold him away by his tatty old collar. He didn't like that at all and jumped back in fright, leaving the collar behind in my hand, and as I reached out to get up, the collar waved over the coil, giving a nice solid high tone.

I look at the collar, and looking back at me from the long brass plaque riveted to it, was the dogs name. "Shaggy" I call out "you naughty naughty boy !".

Ladybird66

Re: The Mysterious Signal (Part 1 and Part 2)

Post by Ladybird66 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:19 am

Silly little story but I enjoyed it. Nicely told Incognito ::g

Return to “Finds - Stories Forum”