Perhaps For this coin?4.3grams-Now Weighed in!-Cleaned up-Coin weight with thistle

Please tell us a little about your finds and if possible add a few pictures.
User avatar
littleboot
Posts: 3349
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:22 pm
Location: Normandy (the cider and cheese area)
Has thanked: 1245 times
Been thanked: 2208 times

Re: Cleaned up-Coin weight with thistle

Post by littleboot »

That is much clearer Rory. You really MUST get some mini-scales. Cheap as chips on Ebay. Accurate to several decimal places is what you need. I use mine for weighing finds on a regular basis (funnily enough I found a coinweight yesterday and the weight really does nail down an ID) and for displacement tests to ID metal content.
Indispensable little piece of kit IMO.


Equinox 600, GMP, wellies.

User avatar
Allectus
Posts: 28587
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:37 am
Location: Essexshire ;-)
Has thanked: 1188 times
Been thanked: 6239 times

Re: Cleaned up-Coin weight with thistle

Post by Allectus »

Allectus wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:31 am
Possibly IIII s = Four Shillings = Thistle Crown.

What's the weight?


A ;)
Having said that, it looks far too weighty for a TC.

User avatar
Lowland
Posts: 6993
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:18 am
Location: scottish middle march
Has thanked: 7674 times
Been thanked: 3988 times
Contact:

Re: Cleaned up-Coin weight with thistle

Post by Lowland »

littleboot wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:43 am
That is much clearer Rory. You really MUST get some mini-scales. Cheap as chips on Ebay. Accurate to several decimal places is what you need. I use mine for weighing finds on a regular basis (funnily enough I found a coinweight yesterday and the weight really does nail down an ID) and for displacement tests to ID metal content.
Indispensable little piece of kit IMO.
I know LB ,I’m on the case ::g
Mucky equinox600- brand new spade and two dodgy elbows ,iffy knees
................And a bucket of optimism..........

User avatar
Lowland
Posts: 6993
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:18 am
Location: scottish middle march
Has thanked: 7674 times
Been thanked: 3988 times
Contact:

Re: Cleaned up-Coin weight with thistle

Post by Lowland »

Allectus wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:45 am
Allectus wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:31 am
Possibly IIII s = Four Shillings = Thistle Crown.

What's the weight?


A ;)
Having said that, it looks far too weighty for a TC.
It is pretty chunky-I will get weighed and get back ::g
Thank you.
Mucky equinox600- brand new spade and two dodgy elbows ,iffy knees
................And a bucket of optimism..........

User avatar
Lowland
Posts: 6993
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:18 am
Location: scottish middle march
Has thanked: 7674 times
Been thanked: 3988 times
Contact:

Re: Cleaned up-Coin weight with thistle

Post by Lowland »

Allectus wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:45 am
Allectus wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:31 am
Possibly IIII s = Four Shillings = Thistle Crown.

What's the weight?


A ;)
Having said that, it looks far too weighty for a TC.
Hi allectus and everybody that’s looked at this weight ,I have managed to get it weighed
And it comes in at 4.3 grams,
It has lost a bit of weight around the edges.
So you’re right on the thistle crown
https://www.sovr.co.uk/james-i-gold-thi ... 00938.html
I’ve gone round in circles for a couple of hours now
And looked at a lot of very nice coins...but have come right round in a circle.
It’s an elusive little git -to me anyway :D
Any further thoughts would be great ::g
Cheers ::g
Mucky equinox600- brand new spade and two dodgy elbows ,iffy knees
................And a bucket of optimism..........

User avatar
Lowland
Posts: 6993
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:18 am
Location: scottish middle march
Has thanked: 7674 times
Been thanked: 3988 times
Contact:

Re: 4.3grams-Now Weighed in!-Cleaned up-Coin weight with thistle

Post by Lowland »

Could it be a weight for this stupendous coin-https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.vcoi ... 5/amp.aspx
80 shillings or four pounds-(a notable link with the IIII on the weight)
The coin Weighed in at 4.5grams and the weight is nicely down range at 4.3 grams,
Datewise could be close too .....1591/93 ad
::g
Mucky equinox600- brand new spade and two dodgy elbows ,iffy knees
................And a bucket of optimism..........

User avatar
Easylife
Posts: 5768
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:23 pm
Has thanked: 1623 times
Been thanked: 3114 times

Re: Cleaned up-Coin weight with thistle

Post by Easylife »

Lowland wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:02 am
littleboot wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:43 am
That is much clearer Rory. You really MUST get some mini-scales. Cheap as chips on Ebay. Accurate to several decimal places is what you need. I use mine for weighing finds on a regular basis (funnily enough I found a coinweight yesterday and the weight really does nail down an ID) and for displacement tests to ID metal content.
Indispensable little piece of kit IMO.
I know LB ,I’m on the case ::g
Well just get some then. You need the up to 100 grams in 0.01 increments. Four quid delivered, I'll send you some if you like? =))
Nox 800, 15" coil & Garrett carrot.
White's TDI SL

User avatar
fred
Posts: 11408
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:15 pm
Location: Kent
Has thanked: 2941 times
Been thanked: 7043 times

Re: Cleaned up-Coin weight with thistle

Post by fred »

Easylife wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:19 am
Lowland wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:02 am
littleboot wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:43 am
That is much clearer Rory. You really MUST get some mini-scales. Cheap as chips on Ebay. Accurate to several decimal places is what you need. I use mine for weighing finds on a regular basis (funnily enough I found a coinweight yesterday and the weight really does nail down an ID) and for displacement tests to ID metal content.
Indispensable little piece of kit IMO.
I know LB ,I’m on the case ::g
Well just get some then. You need the up to 100 grams in 0.01 increments. Four quid delivered, I'll send you some if you like? =))

I would keep the weight away from water. It looks like a flaky alloy of some sort and water may not help it's chances of survival.

I am still not sure about it's exact purpose but it would be nice if it was for a rare coin.

Depending upon how much weight it has lost it might be for a 40 shilling coin like a James V ducat (hat piece)? That would probably make the unusual dot by the numbers an O. It really would have been far easier if you had simply found the coin itself! :D

I agree about the scales, they are indispensible. ::g
Equinox 800 x2

User avatar
Lowland
Posts: 6993
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:18 am
Location: scottish middle march
Has thanked: 7674 times
Been thanked: 3988 times
Contact:

Re: Cleaned up-Coin weight with thistle

Post by Lowland »

fred wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:42 am
Easylife wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:19 am
Lowland wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:02 am

I know LB ,I’m on the case ::g
Well just get some then. You need the up to 100 grams in 0.01 increments. Four quid delivered, I'll send you some if you like? =))

I would keep the weight away from water. It looks like a flaky alloy of some sort and water may not help it's chances of survival.

I am still not sure about it's exact purpose but it would be nice if it was for a rare coin.

Depending upon how much weight it has lost it might be for a 40 shilling coin like a James V ducat (hat piece)? That would probably make the unusual dot by the numbers an O. It really would have been far easier if you had simply found the coin itself! :D

I agree about the scales, they are indispensible. ::g
Agreed on its composition Fred-looks like a flaky alloy right enough.
The coin itself is next ::g
Just willing on the horses to get munching the standing ‘winter hay’ ::g
Mucky equinox600- brand new spade and two dodgy elbows ,iffy knees
................And a bucket of optimism..........

Post Reply

Return to “Finds - Stories Forum”