Valuing a coin?

Please posts topics here related to Valuing your metal detector finds
Mancave-man

Valuing a coin?

Post by Mancave-man » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:18 pm

Hi, and apologies for asking but a friend of a friend who knows I am a detectorist (and assumes I must be in the know) has asked where is the best place to get a coin valuation. Does anyone know or like to make a recommendation for me to pass on please? :-/

Thanks in advance, M-m. ::g

Spearhead

Re: Valuing a coin?

Post by Spearhead » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:57 pm

I would suggest looking at the Timeline auction archives, they show the prices that coins made on the day at auction which by definition is their value.

oldartefact

Post by oldartefact » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:52 pm

It all depends on how old it is ...
here is a link to values for modern coins ..
ttps://www.allcoinvalues.com/united-kingdom/uk ... -1967.html
But if older I would suggest dropping a line to Peter Spencer at the Searcher...
Also when considering the value its worth noting that Retail value, and Auction values are two totally different beasts.
Can you give us some more info on the coin in question? and we'll be able to give you a more tailored answer.
Imagine there is no heaven, only sky above us.

Slapster

Post by Slapster » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:12 am

E-Bay is your friend........
Regards from The Slapster, Cornwall, UK

Who used to have an open mind, but his brains kept falling out......

Equipment Details:
XP Deus 28RCW5
XP MI-6 Pointer
Shovels, Scoops, Bags, Coats, gloves and shoes.......

littleboot

Post by littleboot » Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:43 pm

Ebay is one of those friends that borrows a tenner and never gives it back. :D
Valuations on there are to be used with caution because coin valuation, particularly in these days of Chinese knock-offs, is a good deal about provenance. Proving a coin is genuine, especially if its a gold coin, is the major issue. People are loath to take a risk. I was offered 120 pounds (scrap value) for a coin I know is worth over 1500. Needless to say I didn't take it. I know they would have done some checks on it, then made a huge profit at my expense. ;)
So a lot of the values on Ebay are low...some outrageously low IF they were the genuine article. It all depends who is selling them. Bonafide sellers and dealers use Ebay so check who is behind the sale.
The coin market is pretty much tucked up in much the same way as the banking and jewel trade. Often by the same people.
Equinox 600, GMP, wellies.

littlehove

Post by littlehove » Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:14 pm

littleboot wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:43 pm
Ebay is one of those friends that borrows a tenner and never gives it back. :D
Valuations on there are to be used with caution because coin valuation, particularly in these days of Chinese knock-offs, is a good deal about provenance. Proving a coin is genuine, especially if its a gold coin, is the major issue. People are loath to take a risk. I was offered 120 pounds (scrap value) for a coin I know is worth over 1500. Needless to say I didn't take it. I know they would have done some checks on it, then made a huge profit at my expense. ;)
So a lot of the values on Ebay are low...some outrageously low IF they were the genuine article. It all depends who is selling them. Bonafide sellers and dealers use Ebay so check who is behind the sale.
The coin market is pretty much tucked up in much the same way as the banking and jewel trade. Often by the same people.

Excellent advice littleboot.

amphora

Post by amphora » Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:58 pm

diggerbry wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:14 pm
Excellent advice littleboot.
+1 ::g

You can never put a bet on it. I have been surprised many times.
With coines it mostly is about precious metals and rarity. Sometimes history behind it.
And then you'll need someone interested willing to pay for it. Valuing can be soooo difficult, and selling for it's worth even more.

Had it so many times on ebay back in the days. Putted up a list off items. Expecting some to sell nice and put some others extra with it as filling and for dumping expecting nothing. Then those filling dump items surprisingly sold better then those i expected to sell good.

But then something strange happens. If something is to rare pricing it again is becoming difficult.
Here is a "one of a kind" example (no coin). Can you price it? Can you find a second one with pricing? What would you pay for it?

Good luck hunting.
Disclaimer: If i give advices i talk from my personal perspective, and it is not to copy 1 on 1. I rely on everyone’s common sense. Everyone has to think himself about implementing it for himself and to consider legal circumstances.

Return to “Value Your finds Forum”