The Twinstead Sovereign Hoard - Statement

Information and discussion on Hoards and Treasure found.
hammyman

Re: The Twinstead Sovereign Hoard - Statement

Post by hammyman »

Eagle1 wrote:
Andy Long
Essex Police Wildlife & Environmental Crime Officer
0300 333 4444
andrew.long@essex.pnn.police.uk
Please feel free to correct me,but I have been reliably informed,that you are the person responsible for the media coverage re this debacle.Congratulations on a job well done . :(

http://www.minddisorders.com/Del-Fi/Denial.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Lions lead by donkeys
GRAMMAR: The difference between knowing your s**t and knowing you're s**t.

fertlingjohn

Post by fertlingjohn »

There has been a lot of media inaccuracies for instance the current bullion price of a sovereign is about £250 NOT £350 there was no nastiness whilst they were being located it was good humoured and very exciting and nobody knows how many were found on the Sunday On the day speculation seemed to range between 100 and 300 however many peoples finds were being counted more than once the media seem fixated with 200 most people who were there reckon 100 to 150 but this is pure speculation but does tie in with the number found later when a JCB was used .There is also much suggestion in the media that us detectorists stole them and had no intention of declaring them in many cases quite simply untrue .To my mind the 1996 Treasure act is confusing in that finds over 300 years old are subject to the Treasure process but on more recent finds of gold and silver coins it is still subject to the old treasure trove laws
There was much made of only 2 coins put in the showcase ignoring the fact that the finds display was 10 mins walk away by the time many people went back they were probably going home or it was the end of the rally I got back at about 16.10 was introduced to Paul the organiser who was packing up and told him of my finds .
all I would say if you still have not declared them do so today I hope nobody on this forum has not sold theirs if they have been this stupid then at least come clean there were many photos taken on the day and nobody wants their collar felt !!

Dave8472

Post by Dave8472 »

What’s done is done, we can only move forward and all learn from the event, I think deep down we all knew any publicity was going to be negative full of inaccuracies, like most metal detecting story's on line from the media, they couldn’t even put the right picture up on one site, had a Roman Coin, what Div’s ! This is also why this forum would not allow multiple threads on the subject, debating the subject over and over does not achieve anything, everyone has had their say all over the internet and no more can be added. We now know all the facts and it is nice to see many have come forward with their finds, but some have not, they have been given plenty of time to do this and now they must live with the consequences of their actions.

Dave

Wansdyke44

Post by Wansdyke44 »

Presumably everyone who was at the rally registered? So the organiser knows exactly who was there. The long arm of the law won't be far behind those who don't come forward to declare their finds.

The penalty doesn't warrant the risk, so peeps do the right thing and hand them in!
In the Zone with the Garrett carrot!

THE MOLE

Post by THE MOLE »

as i didnt attend this rally, i can only go off the info found in this thread and im a bit confused so maybe someone could put me right here.
the first post states 200-300 coins where found, the 5 post states the exact amount isnt known :-/ and from reading through the posts you dont excatly know who found what coins.
so going on this info if you dont know the amount found or who found how many coins how you going to no when they have all been registered, jayreefs last post says 47 and 3 halves recorded so far, could this not be then all ? or is there somthing we dont know?.
to be honest if the police turn up at a members house and say did you find any sov`s and they reply no, how do they prove otherwise ?.
not having ago at anyone on here but just having re read the thread these are just some of the thoughts that crossed my mind, but i do hope its all sorted for the good of the hobby maybe some good press will come out in the end, but i wont hold my breath lol

tm
Just using the Force Image

Dave8472

Post by Dave8472 »

Hi mole the 200-300 stated in post one was the figure estimated from people who had been there, I agree from all the information that has unfolded over the last couple of weeks would possibly suggest the actual amount was more like 100-200. I have also been informed some photos were taken at that location so more information may still come to light.

Re the 47/3 this is also only what has been forum declared, there may be others that have done this direct and have yet to be counted, I believe the true overal figure of undeclared coins will never be known.

We all have to remember all the Internet posts and stories on this event have come from various sources, at best this is an estimate only of what happened, as I also said in another post, what's done is done, no need to keep bringing the thread up with speculation. Hopefully when some more concrete evidence comes out we will know more

Edit: post one count edited to 100-300 ;)

Dave

THE MOLE

Post by THE MOLE »

no speculation on my part dave, just wondering how you going to no if youve got them all which as you say dont even think thats possible ;)

tm
Just using the Force Image

fertlingjohn

Post by fertlingjohn »

On the rally it was turn up and pay so there was no record of who was there Moral unless it is a club rally get proof ofID

Fusion

Post by Fusion »

Surprising. I thought it would be essential for attendees to show their FID/NCMD identification details and have them recorded, for the insurance purpose, if nothing else. Assuming these ID's were required for this event. If they were required, this incident looks bad for both organisations.

Trotboy

Post by Trotboy »

tracker1 wrote:nice find,sad loss,if i showed my gold coins to flo and they were over 1750 in the time period,she would not allow them to be recorded,done it several time's,only to be given back,is this because they were found as a group!.please excuse my nievity.curious to this for future reference.
Recording finds on the PAS is to do with the age of the finds - if they are considered to be 'modern' then they don't record them generally - the volume of finds to record is great enough without getting into modern.
Treasure is a separate issue and needs to be reported to the coroner (or more modern gold & silver losses handed in to the Police) Any quantity of gold & silver found together in one place, which constitutes a 'hoard' deposited with the intention by the person hiding it to return and retrieve it is still covered under the treasure act as 'treasure trove' and therefore needs to be reported to the county coroner within 14 days.
Recent finds: Papal Bulla of Clement V, Mary Groat, James 1st Scottish 20p, Republican Silver Denarius 130BC, Trajan Silver Denarius, Edward VII Hammered Shilling.

liamnolan
Location: Hemswell, Lincolnshire. originally from Dublin, southern Ireland

Post by liamnolan »

I would be amazed if the exact location was not known to hundreds, but that site has been well cleared anyway, so nothing to scavenge. ;)
dave8472 has been working hard on sifting through tons and tons of information that has come in from all over the place, much of it claiming to be 100% spot on, from the horses mouth, gospel truth, genuine eye witness accounts, but most of it turns out to be from "Rumour Control" as everyone loves a good story =)) =)) =))
He has posted all that is as near the truth as we are likely to get.
Human nature being what it is, means we are unlikely to get any exact figures but what has been done is done and we have to move forward on this. In life, real damage is assessed more by how we deal with the aftermath, than what damage we think may have happened.
Lessons to be learned? The only thing I can think of is that whatever rules are laid down in advance, we cannot guard against human frailty. To be outraged that not every coin was declared would be to believe in fairy tales. There will be those looking in from the edges of MD who will want to posture about as if they were saints, that all detectorists are corrupt and that the hobby should be banned. Sorry to disappoint them, but looking through this post and sifting through all the threads, it is abundantly clear that there has been a very robust and professional attempt to make good what has gone wrong and to restore credibility where others may have thought it was weak. Well done Dave and I am sure there are lots of forum members who are grateful for your many hours work behind the scenes, Liam ;)
Deus, WSi's - In the end we will regret the chances we didn't take, the relationships we were afraid to have and decisions we waited too long to make .. Spokesperson Irish Metal Detecting Society IMDS Vice President European Council for Metal Detecting

What What

Post by What What »

So what happened in the end here?

How many coins were declared?

Did the farmer get them all?

Did anyone get in any trouble with the old bill?

Fusion

Post by Fusion »

CookM

Post by CookM »

This has really saddened me that some people can stoop to being no better than looters when this kind of find is made,l hope the badduns get what they deserve and the gooduns the same.Let not the farmer be put off by this from another farmer,there are more good than bad in this hobby!! :-L X(

coil

Post by coil »

I found one on that day declared mine had to pay farmer to get it back 98 pounds ::g

CookM

Post by CookM »

Then well done you,the farmer got what he wasn't expecting and so did you!leastways yours is all honestly gotten.£98 pounds well spent you can look at what you own with a clear conscience ::g ;)

Return to “Hoards and Treasure Finds Forum”