1795 USA flowing hair half dime from an ash midden!

Please only post topics related to Bottle Digging here.
Lowland

1795 USA flowing hair half dime from an ash midden!

Post by Lowland » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:27 am

Way back in the day ,my bottle digging buddy and myself were working a burn side ash dump,
We were still there in the quickening dark,the crows were away home by this point,
There had been some smashing victorian finds come to light and so we ploughed on.
My pal has always possessed an uncanny knack of spotting small round objects like coins in screened top soil For landscaping and the like.
Anyways he bent down and picked up a tiny little coin,completely encased in rusty burnt on concretions and we had a bogle,it was so encased you could only just tell it was American.
So into the pocket it went and one big cave in later we were off hame.
Fast forward ten or so years and one bored detectirist was sorting through the accumulated stuff
That ends up in jars and drawers,and he comes across said little rusty coin and decided to give it some electricity to remove the crud.
Here’s the results!
It looks like A pretty dam rare and very interesting 1795 Flowing hair half dime/it’s tiny ,smaller than a 5 pence-obviously cleaning it is undesirable but it was locked solid in rust so necessary.
Looks like it’s been pierced to wear and it’s been a botch job or it’s worn through and re punched.
He’s always been a jammy git :D
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces25314.html
(Not my photos)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Lowland on Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Shiny equinox600- taped up spade-dodgy elbow
.....................deeper bliss......................

meadowman

Re: 1795 USA flowing hair half dime from an ash midden!

Post by meadowman » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:33 am

Great story, and great write up ::g

Lowland

Post by Lowland » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:37 am

meadowman wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:33 am
Great story, and great write up ::g
Ta meadowman,this wee fella has had quite a life!
Going by the age of the dump it was thrown out or lost in the ash bucket
Circa 1890ad.
::g

Blackadder43
Admin

Post by Blackadder43 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:41 am

*Plumps up the bean bag and fetches some Jelly beans from his stash**
Great story fella, looking forward to seeing what else you unearth in your house!!

Amazing isnt it, we go to all this trouble to unearth these items in the first place and then we get excited when we unearth them again in our houses
I am exactly the same and found loads of stuff the other day whilst looking for something completely unrelated =))

Amazing the story that must be attached to that coin
It was a long way from home
How did it manage to find itself in a fire
etc etc
When you are right no one remembers; when you are wrong no one forgets

Lowland

Post by Lowland » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:47 am

Blackadder43 wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:41 am
*Plumps up the bean bag and fetches some Jelly beans from his stash**
Great story fella, looking forward to seeing what else you unearth in your house!!

Amazing isnt it, we go to all this trouble to unearth these items in the first place and then we get excited when we unearth them again in our houses
I am exactly the same and found loads of stuff the other day whilst looking for something completely unrelated =))

Amazing the story that must be attached to that coin
It was a long way from home
How did it manage to find itself in a fire
etc etc
Certainly makes you think,and then to be spotted in the gloaming,
Quite remarkable-I have witnessed my pal spot similar tiny coins when landscaping.
I never have found a coin just with my eyeballs,
Did once do some mass daffodil planting on a village green and found eleven Vicky pennies just by flipping the sods over!....imagine how many coins there are in that green with that strike rate x;

Dave The Slave

Post by Dave The Slave » Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:30 pm

Thanks for sharing the story of the coin, Rory.
Unusual to see a US Pre -Civil war coin on here.
As you say fairly rare looking at online sites, even with the piercing etc, seem to be few around.
Great show & tell.
Cheers, ::g
Dave.
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Garrett 400 I

fred

Post by fred » Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:39 pm

Great story. Circa $100,000 dollars in brilliant uncirculated condition, $5.00 in knackered. :D
Equinox 800 x2

Incognito

Post by Incognito » Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:07 pm

The only time I remember finding any money by eye was in Greece. I don't even remember why I was there, just rambling I think, and I'm told to visit an in law. That was a good idea seeing I had spent the last of my money on a hostal in Athens. The problem was that he lived about thirty miles out of town and I had nothing for even a bus, plus hitching is not my favourite pastime, and doesn't work in town anyway.

So I'm walking, and by nightfall I am at the outskirts of the city on a beach , eating nisperos fruit collected from trees I passed. That is where I sleep, and the next day it is a long walk along a highway. After about a day without food you start to feel hungry, especially if you are doing exercise. Then by the road at my feet I am looking at a small stack of notes, like 0000000 drachmas (they like large numbers) which I figured was at least enough to buy a meal with. I could not see anyone who might have dropped them or thrown them from a car window by mistake, because there was no-one else around and all the cars kept driving off, so I also figured they were left there especially for me by the hand of providence.

Off to the side of the road a bit further on I see some kind of restaurant stood by itself down by the sea, it had a " this way " look about it, and so I went that way.

It was no more than a traditional old house, with a cane shade decorated by old vines stretched out over a platform of bare rock that stopped a foot above the waters edge. More importantly at that moment it had a couple of small tables and chairs, and a chalked menu on the wall. Bliss, I felt like king with the place to myself being served some of the best local food ever (ever!) , listening to the water ripple next to me and with a cool breeze blowing in.

The in-law's were not much further, and the rest is history as they say.

That's a really good find, and even more, thanks for the story to it.

Lowland

Post by Lowland » Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:42 pm

fred wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:39 pm
Great story. Circa $100,000 dollars in brilliant uncirculated condition, $5.00 in knackered. :D
:(( not to worry fred-I’ve just found a shortcross in a new field :D

Lowland

Post by Lowland » Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:44 pm

Incognito wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:07 pm
The only time I remember finding any money by eye was in Greece. I don't even remember why I was there, just rambling I think, and I'm told to visit an in law. That was a good idea seeing I had spent the last of my money on a hostal in Athens. The problem was that he lived about thirty miles out of town and I had nothing for even a bus, plus hitching is not my favourite pastime, and doesn't work in town anyway.

So I'm walking, and by nightfall I am at the outskirts of the city on a beach , eating nisperos fruit collected from trees I passed. That is where I sleep, and the next day it is a long walk along a highway. After about a day without food you start to feel hungry, especially if you are doing exercise. Then by the road at my feet I am looking at a small stack of notes, like 0000000 drachmas (they like large numbers) which I figured was at least enough to buy a meal with. I could not see anyone who might have dropped them or thrown them from a car window by mistake, because there was no-one else around and all the cars kept driving off, so I also figured they were left there especially for me by the hand of providence.

Off to the side of the road a bit further on I see some kind of restaurant stood by itself down by the sea, it had a " this way " look about it, and so I went that way.

It was no more than a traditional old house, with a cane shade decorated by old vines stretched out over a platform of bare rock that stopped a foot above the waters edge. More importantly at that moment it had a couple of small tables and chairs, and a chalked menu on the wall. Bliss, I felt like king with the place to myself being served some of the best local food ever (ever!) , listening to the water ripple next to me and with a cool breeze blowing in.

The in-law's were not much further, and the rest is history as they say.

That's a really good find, and even more, thanks for the story to it.

::g ::g enjoyed that.

Return to “Bottle Digging Forum”