surprise finds from old Pub tip

Please only post topics related to Bottle Digging here.
kenleyboy

surprise finds from old Pub tip

Post by kenleyboy » Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:14 pm

I managed a Friday visit to the pub tip following on from my last recent visit . There was not much to show but a few interesting items came out but as suspected were similar age to the previous trip and dated late 30s to 40s . I didn't bother to post until I managed to go back again this morning and see if I could delve a little deeper and see if there was anything earlier .
I got quite a surprise because despite the late era of this small tip there is always to old age adage that there should or could be earlier stuff further down .
The last visit was a short session but I did manage to note that the pit gradually got a little deeper the further I went along but time was not on my side so had to leave it until this morning .
This third visit was also to be a short one but had far better rewards and a very pleasant surprise .
The weather was to be very humid and an early start was arranged with the owners who were happy for me to trudge through their grounds at the ungodly hour of 6 am and I would hope to finish by 10am latest . In general so far the pit was approximately 18 inches to 2ft deep however at the end where I left off graduated to at least 3 ft deep and possibly deeper , so it time to brace myself for a bit of a prolonged dig .
There is a lot of stuff to dig through , stacks of sea shells which was a stable diet for many and plenty of tins of all sorts from rusted buckets and the odd pot thrown in for good measure .So far it appeared to be similar era until I started to pull up some huge oyster shells which is a very typical diet of the Victorians . Things gathered momentum in the interest stakes when the first really good find was the early small bowl clay pipe .The Pub itself dates from 1750 and I would put this pipe from this era and possibly a little later heading into the early Victorian period .
Two broken stoneware foot warmers , a porcelain dolls arm and a clay pipe stem were beginning to give a away clues to a far earlier part of the pit . There didn't appear to be any evidence of burning , everything was coming out clean albeit a few stains from rusted iron which there was plenty of especially horse shoes , I dug 11 out .
At about 4ft down I hit the dreaded clay , could this be clay capping ? however the sturdy bottle probe proved that is wasn't . So now I had the depth at least twice of the later stuff and the bed of clay sloped downwards .
Trenching forward and down was the way to go and it proved to be a good decision when this little gem popped out .
holloways ointment.jpg
Once again there were no Ginger Beers which I had high hopes for but apart from two stoneware ink pots and the broken foot warmers there was no other stone ware bottles . It was however nice to find a genuine Morgans Brewery mineral water bottle as this pub was a Morgans owned pub back in the day .The large green bottle looks to have a rolled lip , it is a bit wonky but clean and a nice green glass .
shovel full of bottles .jpg
The cleaned bottles from today are to the left , to the right are from the last visit , typical late 30s and 40s era and also interesting is the US Army cover . Lots of US Military in these parts during the last War .
cleaned finds.jpg
Apologies for the last image , not intended to offend and if mods wish to remove out from the post please do so . It is just an example of how things were back then .
Robertsons lid.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I walk , I dig , I find ....naff all !

lonecoiler

Re: surprise finds from old Pub tip

Post by lonecoiler » Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:23 pm

He's done it again, another excellent write up. Kenleyboy you have missed your vocation. :;@
Garrett Ace 250 with NEL Tornado coil.
C.Scope CS4PI

So many fields, so few permissions

fred

Post by fred » Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:40 pm

Love the green glass roll lipped item. ::g
Equinox 800 x2

Lowland

Post by Lowland » Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:52 pm

fred wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:40 pm
I will second that,would love to see a few shots of the green one-including the base ::g
Great dig kenleyboy.
Shiny equinox600- taped up spade-dodgy elbow
.....................deeper bliss......................

Oxgirl36

Post by Oxgirl36 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:54 pm

fred wrote:
My favourite too ::g Great write up - as we have come to expect!
XP Deus !!£$ I use the HOT programme on 17khz, reactivity at 2.5 on v5.21 with the X35 11” coil

Hammered silver 2019 - 11 :D

kenleyboy

Post by kenleyboy » Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:47 pm

Lowland wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:52 pm
fred wrote:
I will second that,would love to see a few shots of the green one-including the base ::g
Great dig kenleyboy.
Will take a few shots and post them tomorrow , quota done . A closer look shows no seam line at all and there are two opposing pinch market on each side which makes me think this is blown from one piece . There is no pontil mark to the base ! It is a bit wonky which adds to its quirkiness and the green glass is nice and clean . The lid was a bonus but I really like this jar .

Lowland

Post by Lowland » Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:54 pm

kenleyboy wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:47 pm
Lowland wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:52 pm
fred wrote:
Great dig kenleyboy.
Will take a few shots and post them tomorrow , quota done . A closer look shows no seam line at all and there are two opposing pinch market on each side which makes me think this is blown from one piece . There is no pontil mark to the base ! It is a bit wonky which adds to its quirkiness and the green glass is nice and clean . The lid was a bonus but I really like this jar .
It reminds me of the shape of some snuff bottles.
Either way up it’s a proper good bottle ::g

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:56 pm

Hello Kenleyboy ::g Your posting submissions are always entertaining events in themselves and easily transport the reader to the rim of the 'pit' that you've ended-up in, standing, fork in hand and up to the knees in rubbish and smelling not too vaguely of that all too familiar 'dump scent' :D

Of your excavated finds, I love the Robertson's Golly on the jam jar lid which appears to be one of the later examples produced just before Roberton's brought about their final demise :(

What I like even more of course, is the B & W 'Holloways Ointment' pot lid bearing the price of 2/9d (for the younger members that's two shillings and nine pence or about 13p)

I'm waiting with baited breath for your first photo of a dug coloured pot lid, :-O here's hoping ::g
Regards ss47
A disservice is no service at all.

Dave The Slave

Post by Dave The Slave » Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:02 am

Inspirational !! ::g
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Garrett 400 I

kenleyboy

Post by kenleyboy » Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:24 am

I'm waiting with baited breath for your first photo of a dug coloured pot lid, :-O here's hoping ::g

A Bears Grease lid would be nice , super rare as would a coloured pot lid . You never know what these tips will throw up .I am about done on this little "tip" , more like a small ditch and I believe there are a few more scattered about in the grounds , just a chance of locating one .
Nice way to finish on this one with the pot lid .

kenleyboy

Post by kenleyboy » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:30 am

Here you Lowland , some better pics of the odd looking green bottle . Stands at 7 1/2 inches tall .
Never seen one before .
green bottle 1.jpg
green bottle base.jpg
green bottle lip.jpg
green bottle upright.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Lowland

Post by Lowland » Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:17 am

Cor,it’s a great bottle-blown into a mould, I think you are right
Plus the Holloway’s lid which looks mint that was a great session.
Thanks for putting the pictures up-I will google up some snuff bottles ::g

Return to “Bottle Digging Forum”