Drone Research?

Post your topics related to useful resources and research.
devonlad

Drone Research?

Post by devonlad » Mon May 13, 2019 6:40 am

Anyone using drones for their site research?
I have been using them now for about a year, and would be interested in other users experiences? ::g

GezFisher22

Re: Drone Research?

Post by GezFisher22 » Mon May 13, 2019 10:43 am

My son is a proffessional drone pilot and has done a 3D model of the field I use. He did it in winter when the growth was minimum. I've asked him to do another field which is the site of a medieval settlement but has a big mound at one end and is terraced down a steep hillside. I'm thinking earlier hillfort site. It is a known archeological site therefore not open for detecting but I'm intrested inthe history. The 3D model is very intresting but he has a thermal imaging camera which I hope he will run over the field with as it models plant growth which can reveal anomolies such as walls.

devonlad

Post by devonlad » Mon May 13, 2019 11:32 am

Thanks for your reply. I have undertaken a course in drone aviation, and as my degree is in archaeology, I am used to using aerial photographs for site identification, and research. It has been very useful having my own drone, and has now become a mainstay in my research.

Barzi

Post by Barzi » Sat May 18, 2019 8:58 am

I'm a newbie to detecting but have flown drones for a while now (PFCO). Aerial research is something I will be doing on my permissions as you can see so much from the air. Glad you have been using to further your archaeology. I'm aware of some projects where they are asking drone pilots to photograph hill forts etc so it looks like drones might be used more for researching and recording history.

I have flown some historical sites near me and you can certainly identify features worthy of investigation. There is a ruined Augustine Priory near me and from the air you can sometimes make out features by the colour change of the grass, it was interesting to see that one of these was the gatehouse when I researched the site more as you simply can't make it out from the ground. I've also found it works on some WW2 structures as the location of the gun emplacements suddenly becomes obvious from above.

Mapping software such as Drone Deploy or Pix4D works well and then applying various filters to the data to work out slopes etc.

Happy flying!

Return to “Research Section Forum”