Does coal register on pulse induction machines?.

Post your topics related to useful resources and research.
coal digger

Does coal register on pulse induction machines?.

Post by coal digger » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:57 pm

Hi chaps and chappesses.Having never owned a pi unit i'm unaware with their characteristics,specifically their recognition to coal and coke. i have an ongoing project which i need more depth than the racer can give me so looking down the pi route rather than vlf.

It would be appreciated for any info on the Pi units by those who use or have used them.

Cheers cd ::g

Never wish this day gone, as this day can never be replaced

coal digger

Re: Does coal register on pulse induction machines?.

Post by coal digger » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:53 pm

Oh no,the dreaded zero reply 8-| 8-| what happens next??, does the " 0" get dragged away and thrown onto a pile and then back filled under the passage of time :D .

Easylife

Post by Easylife » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:04 am

FWIW, I don't really think a PI unit would see coal or coke. Not all PI units are the same though as some do have a form of discrimination. The Minelab GPX 4500 & 5000's are really quite awesome but I've only used them in non-UK highly mineralised ground. The Garrett ATX is very capable, My White's TDI is quite tunable to specific targets, and the CS4PI will just detect whatever it sees including iron. If your site contains much iron then you might need a PI that is capable of tuning it out to some degree? So what's the ground like? x;
Nox 800, 15" coil & Garrett carrot.
White's TDI SL

Ladybird66

Post by Ladybird66 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:34 am

As I’ve never owned a PI machine I ain’t got a clue but common sense says it would pick up coke. They’re s'posed to see everything, aren’t they ?

It would probably have picked up the piece I found on my last outing. I cracked it open when I got home, out of curiosity, it had iron pyrite in it.

Surprised no one answered your query :(

ROCK HOPPER

Post by ROCK HOPPER » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:28 am

Don't know about coal but they certainly pick up the lumps of clay on Crantock beach!!!

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:30 am

In the absence of a definitive answer as yet, an email to your local supplier should do the trick.
My own logic 8-| suggests that, as coke is a capacitive mineral (capable of holding an electric charge) I find it difficult to see how a PI machine would not react positively to coke. - in one way or another.
Perhaps the answer depends upon how PI machine in general deal with capacitive targets as there may be machine/circuit design variables to consider. Regards ss47
A disservice is no service at all.

Ladybird66

Post by Ladybird66 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:35 am

ROCK HOPPER wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:28 am
Don't know about coal but they certainly pick up the lumps of clay on Crantock beach!!!

Do you check what’s inside the lumps of clay ?

jcmaloney

Post by jcmaloney » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:09 pm

GPX5000 takes coke out.
Struggles with small iron that lacks the volume/bulk to trip the discrimination.
The user has to learn to listen for the audio "break" but will still dig small iron! ::g
Opinions expressed on MY posts are mine and NOT those of any democratic organisation I volunteer for. ::g

coal digger

Post by coal digger » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:20 pm

Thanks for the replies and insight guys ::g . The land in question is the worst case scenario
Layer 1 is a blanket of crushed coal and coke.
Layer 2 is massive iron infestation due to several bloomery's so nails and odd ball shapes of iron
Layer 3 is hard packed stone and extremely hard to dig(20 mins for a small hole).
Layer 4.....Nectar....if i ever get there x;
cd ::g

Saffron

Post by Saffron » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:43 pm

Having used the Racer (Racer 2, not original "Red"Racer) and then changed to the Nox I am confident that the Nox punches deeper than the Racer.

So would something like the Nox, and there are other deep punching machines out there, possibly meet your needs without the possible issues raised by the use of a PI machine?.

I openly accept that I do not know how the Nox compares with a PI machine regarding depth. So it could be that you have already looked at this idea and know that the pi machine is a better option for what seems a very specific, and interesting!, project.

Evan

Wigeon

Post by Wigeon » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:22 am

coal digger wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:20 pm
Thanks for the replies and insight guys ::g . The land in question is the worst case scenario
Layer 1 is a blanket of crushed coal and coke.
Layer 2 is massive iron infestation due to several bloomery's so nails and odd ball shapes of iron
Layer 3 is hard packed stone and extremely hard to dig(20 mins for a small hole).
Layer 4.....Nectar....if i ever get there x;
cd ::g
Blimey CD, you like a challenge !! x;

I recently posted a PI enquiry thread viewtopic.php?f=12&t=112534
Different situation to yours but some interesting and relevant answers from our members.

I made lots of enquiries regarding PI machines but have shelved the idea for the time being.

It seems that only the higher-end machines have some discrimination ability (minelab GPX and similar) and they don't come cheap. I almost had a rush of blood to the head and bought a GPX4800 but changed my mind after hearing Fred's views on the CTX capabilities.

Another concern I had, after watching lots of YouTube footage was that it would do my head in with all the noise.

Perhaps the real killer for using a PI is your 'level 2' though ?

Best wishes for success with whichever course you take. ::g
Minelab E-Trac. XP Goldmaxx power v4. Garret carrot. Evolution spade.

ROCK HOPPER

Post by ROCK HOPPER » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:30 am

Ladybird66 wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:35 am
ROCK HOPPER wrote:

No but I used my SE Pro in the same place and got no signal.

ROCK HOPPER

Post by ROCK HOPPER » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:32 am

Ladybird66 wrote:
ROCK HOPPER wrote:

No as I said on a previous post I used my SE Pro in the same place and didn't get a signal.

Ladybird66

Post by Ladybird66 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:54 pm

ROCK HOPPER wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:32 am
Ladybird66 wrote:
ROCK HOPPER wrote:

No as I said on a previous post I used my SE Pro in the same place and didn't get a signal.
I wonder if that is common with pointers. My Garret pro always agrees with whichever machine I’ve used.
Lumps of black stuff are common on my beaches. Always bring them home to investigate. Found a George 3rd sixpence in one of them. Usual beach scrap in nearly all the others.
Always worth checking ::g

ROCK HOPPER

Post by ROCK HOPPER » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:57 am

Ladybird66 wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:54 pm
ROCK HOPPER wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:32 am
Ladybird66 wrote:

I wonder if that is common with pointers. My Garret pro always agrees with whichever machine I’ve used.
Lumps of black stuff are common on my beaches. Always bring them home to investigate. Found a George 3rd sixpence in one of them. Usual beach scrap in nearly all the others.
Always worth checking ::g
We get a lot of concretion on our beaches and I always take them home and hit them with a hammer, best find two £1 coins in one piece. The very large lumps of clay are falling out of the cliff so I doubt that they would contain anything.

jcmaloney

Post by jcmaloney » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:00 am

If you are using an FBS type machine (like an SE) then turn the discrim off completely. Sounds mad but..............

On an iron infested "carpet" the iron tone becomes the background "tone/noise", then you just listen for the positive "munphs & bumphs" in the audio.

::g ::g
Opinions expressed on MY posts are mine and NOT those of any democratic organisation I volunteer for. ::g

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:32 pm

jcmaloney wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:00 am
If you are using an FBS type machine (like an SE) then turn the discrim off completely. Sounds mad but..............

On an iron infested "carpet" the iron tone becomes the background "tone/noise", then you just listen for the positive "munphs & bumphs" in the audio. ::g ::g
I just love a few advanced technical expressions jcm :)) ::g ss47
A disservice is no service at all.

Return to “Research Section Forum”