Opted to go for the XP Deus

Only for the discussion of the Deus Metal Detector.
Post Reply
ploughchaser
Posts: 311
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:34 am
Has thanked: 224 times
Been thanked: 127 times

Opted to go for the XP Deus

Post by ploughchaser » Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:35 am

Hi everyone,after having my Garrett ace 250 as a starter detector,I’ve just purchased an xp deus with the 11 inch coil,I can’t wait for it to arrive,I would be grateful of any advice/tips,thanks all!👍



User avatar
Me and my boy
Posts: 1815
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:53 pm
Has thanked: 810 times
Been thanked: 932 times

Re: Opted to go for the XP Deus

Post by Me and my boy » Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:52 am

Well done, you won’t regret it.

My advice would be, turn discrimination off, put control box( if getting one) in your pocket and dig everything to get to understand the noises. Little squeaks are normally little lead or silver and deep.
This way you’ll hear the iron and learn to leave it.

Then go over the field again another day and you’ll start getting to grips with leaving the iron and what’s worth digging.

Best advice I think though it to check the iron grunts if there’s a hint of a high tone as I’ve had lots of nice things next to or in with iron.

You’ll get to grips quicker than you think.
Best of luck

Ps I still can’t quite tell the difference between coke and hammered cut quarters. Sometimes they sound exactly the same and I’ve found enough coke to run a steam train and lots and lots of quarters
2019 hammies. = 115 (including quarters, halves and broken)
Saxon = 1( broken sceatta)
Celtic. = 1
Silver denarius = 4
Gold Roman = 0
Gold ring. = 0
Gold hammered .= 1😀

ploughchaser
Posts: 311
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:34 am
Has thanked: 224 times
Been thanked: 127 times

Re: Opted to go for the XP Deus

Post by ploughchaser » Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:36 am

Me and my boy wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:52 am
Well done, you won’t regret it.

My advice would be, turn discrimination off, put control box( if getting one) in your pocket and dig everything to get to understand the noises. Little squeaks are normally little lead or silver and deep.
This way you’ll hear the iron and learn to leave it.

Then go over the field again another day and you’ll start getting to grips with leaving the iron and what’s worth digging.

Best advice I think though it to check the iron grunts if there’s a hint of a high tone as I’ve had lots of nice things next to or in with iron.

You’ll get to grips quicker than you think.
Best of luck

Ps I still can’t quite tell the difference between coke and hammered cut quarters. Sometimes they sound exactly the same and I’ve found enough coke to run a steam train and lots and lots of quarters
Thankyou for your reply,I have bought a controll box,I like the idea of putting it in your pocket with no discrimination to get to grips with the tones, what is your favourite program, do you use factory setting programme or create your own?
Cheers
Steve

User avatar
JBM
Posts: 2693
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:46 am
Location: Bristol
Has thanked: 30 times
Been thanked: 530 times

Re: Opted to go for the XP Deus

Post by JBM » Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:49 am

A excellent choice.I have had one for over 10 years and its been a good friend to me.

Most of my detecting is inland and for that purpose its outstanding.

Its very lightweight and the preset programmes work just fine.

I do use the screen readout to back up what Iam hearing.

Years ago. I was told that this hobby is all about information and the screen can do just that, once the user is at one with it.

The rest is up to lady luck.

Happy Hunting,

Jerry. ::g

ploughchaser
Posts: 311
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:34 am
Has thanked: 224 times
Been thanked: 127 times

Re: Opted to go for the XP Deus

Post by ploughchaser » Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:05 am

JBM wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:49 am
A excellent choice.I have had one for over 10 years and its been a good friend to me.

Most of my detecting is inland and for that purpose its outstanding.

Its very lightweight and the preset programmes work just fine.

I do use the screen readout to back up what Iam hearing.

Years ago. I was told that this hobby is all about information and the screen can do just that, once the user is at one with it.

The rest is up to lady luck.

Happy Hunting,

Jerry. ::g
Thanks for the reply Jerry I will use the preset programmes for sure,I detect inland on mainly pasture ,I have one field where it’s undetectable with my Garrett 250 it constantly sounds off so I’m hoping that I will find the appropriate setting to give that 1 a go,I can’t wait for it to come,do you think it would be wise to dig a testbed?
Thanks
Steve

User avatar
Lowland
Posts: 5358
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:18 am
Location: scottish middle march
Has thanked: 5907 times
Been thanked: 2895 times
Contact:

Re: Opted to go for the XP Deus

Post by Lowland » Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:09 am

Waiting on it being delivered is the hardest bit-best of luck with your new machine ::g
Shiny equinox600- taped up spade-dodgy elbow
.....................deeper bliss......................

User avatar
JBM
Posts: 2693
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:46 am
Location: Bristol
Has thanked: 30 times
Been thanked: 530 times

Re: Opted to go for the XP Deus

Post by JBM » Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:16 am

Hi Steve,

I have a test bed, but rarely use it these days.

If you have the time it will help you initially, but its hard to create what its like out in the fields.

The GMP setting will get you off the ground without missing much.

Deus Fast is also very good where you have non ferrous hiding among the old ferrous trash.

If you have a probe you may need to move the Deus a few feet away from the detector or change the frequency using the controller.

Again Gary`s instruction videos will help you a lot.

Happy Hunting,

Jerry.
Last edited by JBM on Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ploughchaser
Posts: 311
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:34 am
Has thanked: 224 times
Been thanked: 127 times

Re: Opted to go for the XP Deus

Post by ploughchaser » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:28 am

Lowland wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:09 am
Waiting on it being delivered is the hardest bit-best of luck with your new machine ::g
Thanks lowland,I can’t wait lol👍

ploughchaser
Posts: 311
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:34 am
Has thanked: 224 times
Been thanked: 127 times

Re: Opted to go for the XP Deus

Post by ploughchaser » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:29 am

JBM wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:16 am
Hi Steve,

I have a test bed, but rarely use it these days.

If you have the time it will help you initially, but its hard to create what its like out in the fields.

The GMP setting will get you off the ground without missing much.

Deus Fast is also very good where you have non ferrous hiding among the old ferrous trash.

If you have a probe you may need to move the Deus a few feet away from the detector or change the frequency using the controller.

Again Gary`s instruction videos will hell you a lot.

Happy Hunting,


Jerry.
Thanks for the good advice Jerry,much appreciated mate👍

User avatar
shaggybfc
Posts: 725
Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:53 pm
Location: Warwick
Has thanked: 487 times
Been thanked: 419 times

Re: Opted to go for the XP Deus

Post by shaggybfc » Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:21 am

You made a good choice with the Deus ::g
I assume you have the X35 coil?
Best advice I can give is: Pick a program and stick with / learn it - don't jump and change - it'll drive you nuts and you'll take longer to understand the machine.
I only use Gary's Ultimate program now - after trying all the other pre-loaded programs. (I think they work OK with the standard black coils, but not with the X35 / HF coils - only my opinion)

For pasture, I turn the reactivity down to 2.5, up the sensitivity to 93/95 and down the GB to about 87-89. Both the sensitivity and GB settings depends on the feedback the ground conditions return. It can be a little bit 'sparky', if so bring the GB up a bit. I do have a fairly slow swing speed compared to some, so these setting suit me. Change the reactivity to suit your swing speed, up it for a faster swing (or iron infested ground).

I use the control box, in the XY screen, generally to only confirm what I hear - and to get TID readings for reference.
Going from the Ace 250 to the Deus is easy, and I think you'll soon be getting the hang of things.
Good luck
Andi
XP Deus, 11" X35 coil, WS4 back-phones, remote and an empty bank balance. XP MI 6 pin pointer. Garrett Ace 250 wireless MPow set up.
They told me I’d never be any good at poetry, because I’m dyslexic, but so far I’ve made 3 jugs and a vase.

User avatar
Buriedbytime&dust
Posts: 547
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:03 pm
Location: Suffolk
Has thanked: 181 times
Been thanked: 243 times

Re: Opted to go for the XP Deus

Post by Buriedbytime&dust » Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:27 am

ploughchaser wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:35 am
Hi everyone,after having my Garrett ace 250 as a starter detector,I’ve just purchased an xp deus with the 11 inch coil,I can’t wait for it to arrive,I would be grateful of any advice/tips,thanks all!👍

Best tip I can give you is to buy Andy Sabisch's XP Deus Handbook. It'll really help you to understand the machine.

Also, check out Gary Blackwell's Skill School videos on Youtube ::g

ploughchaser
Posts: 311
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:34 am
Has thanked: 224 times
Been thanked: 127 times

Re: Opted to go for the XP Deus

Post by ploughchaser » Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:26 pm

shaggybfc wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:21 am
You made a good choice with the Deus ::g
I assume you have the X35 coil?
Best advice I can give is: Pick a program and stick with / learn it - don't jump and change - it'll drive you nuts and you'll take longer to understand the machine.
I only use Gary's Ultimate program now - after trying all the other pre-loaded programs. (I think they work OK with the standard black coils, but not with the X35 / HF coils - only my opinion)

For pasture, I turn the reactivity down to 2.5, up the sensitivity to 93/95 and down the GB to about 87-89. Both the sensitivity and GB settings depends on the feedback the ground conditions return. It can be a little bit 'sparky', if so bring the GB up a bit. I do have a fairly slow swing speed compared to some, so these setting suit me. Change the reactivity to suit your swing speed, up it for a faster swing (or iron infested ground).

I use the control box, in the XY screen, generally to only confirm what I hear - and to get TID readings for reference.
Going from the Ace 250 to the Deus is easy, and I think you'll soon be getting the hang of things.
Good luck
Andi
Thanks Andy,I’m getting the 11 inch coil with my deus,thanks for the tips on setting up,I’ve been reading about Gary’s ultimate programme and must say I like the look of it,I will be keeping it simple to learn the machine before I even think about playing around with it too much👍
Thanks again
Steve

ploughchaser
Posts: 311
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:34 am
Has thanked: 224 times
Been thanked: 127 times

Re: Opted to go for the XP Deus

Post by ploughchaser » Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:29 pm

Buriedbytime&dust wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:27 am
ploughchaser wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:35 am
Hi everyone,after having my Garrett ace 250 as a starter detector,I’ve just purchased an xp deus with the 11 inch coil,I can’t wait for it to arrive,I would be grateful of any advice/tips,thanks all!👍

Best tip I can give you is to buy Andy Sabisch's XP Deus Handbook. It'll really help you to understand the machine.

Also, check out Gary Blackwell's Skill School videos on Youtube ::g
Thanks for the tip on the book,I’ll order it,and thanks for the tip on Gary Blackwell, I’ll have a look tonight,much appreciated.

Steve

ploughchaser
Posts: 311
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:34 am
Has thanked: 224 times
Been thanked: 127 times

Re: Opted to go for the XP Deus

Post by ploughchaser » Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:44 pm

ploughchaser wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:29 pm
Buriedbytime&dust wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:27 am
ploughchaser wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:35 am
Hi everyone,after having my Garrett ace 250 as a starter detector,I’ve just purchased an xp deus with the 11 inch coil,I can’t wait for it to arrive,I would be grateful of any advice/tips,thanks all!👍

Best tip I can give you is to buy Andy Sabisch's XP Deus Handbook. It'll really help you to understand the machine.

Also, check out Gary Blackwell's Skill School videos on Youtube ::g
Thanks for the tip on the book,I’ll order it,and thanks for the tip on Gary Blackwell, I’ll have a look tonight,much appreciated.
Steve
Ps I’ve just bought the book, many thanks.

User avatar
Buriedbytime&dust
Posts: 547
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:03 pm
Location: Suffolk
Has thanked: 181 times
Been thanked: 243 times

Re: Opted to go for the XP Deus

Post by Buriedbytime&dust » Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:14 pm

ploughchaser wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:29 pm

Thanks for the tip on the book,I’ll order it,and thanks for the tip on Gary Blackwell, I’ll have a look tonight,much appreciated.

Steve

::g

You'll enjoy the book, I'm sure. The author explains every aspect of the Deus in detail, and reading through that (many, many, times!) really helped me to get to grips with mine.

ploughchaser
Posts: 311
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:34 am
Has thanked: 224 times
Been thanked: 127 times

Re: Opted to go for the XP Deus

Post by ploughchaser » Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:33 pm

Buriedbytime&dust wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:14 pm
ploughchaser wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:29 pm

Thanks for the tip on the book,I’ll order it,and thanks for the tip on Gary Blackwell, I’ll have a look tonight,much appreciated.

Steve

::g

You'll enjoy the book, I'm sure. The author explains every aspect of the Deus in detail, and reading through that (many, many, times!) really helped me to get to grips with mine.
I’m looking foreward to the challenge thankyou

Copperballs1
Posts: 535
Joined: Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:11 pm
Location: Chorley
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 49 times

Re: Opted to go for the XP Deus

Post by Copperballs1 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:11 pm

Just a bit of advice in terms of reactivity - there is a considerable amount of depth increase going from reactivity 3 to reactivity 2. I appreciate not always the right setting but on permissions with little or no iron you will see a difference in depth achieved.

ploughchaser
Posts: 311
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:34 am
Has thanked: 224 times
Been thanked: 127 times

Re: Opted to go for the XP Deus

Post by ploughchaser » Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:33 pm

Copperballs1 wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:11 pm
Just a bit of advice in terms of reactivity - there is a considerable amount of depth increase going from reactivity 3 to reactivity 2. I appreciate not always the right setting but on permissions with little or no iron you will see a difference in depth achieved.
Thanks mate I’ll bare that in mind!👍

bob the diggerer
Posts: 70
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:08 pm
Been thanked: 8 times

Re: Opted to go for the XP Deus

Post by bob the diggerer » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:03 pm

don,t over tighten the coil bolts, and always carry a spare set. good luck.

User avatar
Phil2401
Posts: 1297
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:31 pm
Has thanked: 799 times
Been thanked: 700 times

Re: Opted to go for the XP Deus

Post by Phil2401 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:31 pm

Me and my boy wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:52 am
Well done, you won’t regret it.

My advice would be, turn discrimination off, put control box( if getting one) in your pocket and dig everything to get to understand the noises. Little squeaks are normally little lead or silver and deep.
This way you’ll hear the iron and learn to leave it.

Then go over the field again another day and you’ll start getting to grips with leaving the iron and what’s worth digging.

Best advice I think though it to check the iron grunts if there’s a hint of a high tone as I’ve had lots of nice things next to or in with iron.

You’ll get to grips quicker than you think.
Best of luck

Ps I still can’t quite tell the difference between coke and hammered cut quarters. Sometimes they sound exactly the same and I’ve found enough coke to run a steam train and lots and lots of quarters
I agree completely - but... if you do look at the XY screen, I've found that the 'straight up and down' line on the screen is always coke- I dig it anyway occasionally just to make sure... yep - more coke....maybe I should dig all of them and find a cut quarter....

Phil
Quaerite et invenietis

XP Deus

Chilgrove
Posts: 305
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:14 pm
Been thanked: 67 times

Re: Opted to go for the XP Deus

Post by Chilgrove » Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:18 pm

I too cannot distinguish the tone of coke compared to a cut half or quarter silver hammered coin. But as mentioned above the xy screen does a reasonable job of identifying coke (straight up and down line). It's a great machine, wireless and light.
Last edited by Chilgrove on Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
oldartefact
Posts: 7894
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:31 am
Location: Gods own county - numero uno!
Has thanked: 1479 times
Been thanked: 1150 times

Re: Opted to go for the XP Deus

Post by oldartefact » Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:18 pm

Some great replies ..
I bought the full set up, and my advice, given you've invested in a control box, is to use it.. otherwise ask for a refund on the box, and steady away with out one.
The box comes crammed full of features these days, many folk swear by the X-Y screen, and if you like detecting numbers, particularly coin-shooting.. knowing what coin gives what number, is a clear advantage.
I have stuck to one program, Deus fast, but for those who are a little more confident than me, you can use the box to easily customise your set up..
Good luck - which ever way you do it.
Imagine there is no heaven, only sky above us.

ploughchaser
Posts: 311
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:34 am
Has thanked: 224 times
Been thanked: 127 times

Re: Opted to go for the XP Deus

Post by ploughchaser » Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:32 pm

Thankyou for the fantastic advice,and positive input everyone I really appreciate it,it’s arrived now I’m getting thought tonight by a mate and Saturday I’ll have my first go with it, roll on saturday
Regards
Steve

silander
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:47 pm
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Opted to go for the XP Deus

Post by silander » Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:03 pm

go with the new machine to the same location you use your ace-250. it will take you one hr to see the new upgrading level of the deus,
i did the same way : from 250 to the deus.
enjoy

ploughchaser
Posts: 311
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:34 am
Has thanked: 224 times
Been thanked: 127 times

Re: Opted to go for the XP Deus

Post by ploughchaser » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:28 pm

silander wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:03 pm
go with the new machine to the same location you use your ace-250. it will take you one hr to see the new upgrading level of the deus,
i did the same way : from 250 to the deus.
enjoy
That’s exactly what I’m gonna do silander I’m going over a pasture field that I’ve been over once before,I’m looking foreward to it,it’s more easy to use than I thought it would be too,just done a test bed in the garden,I’m really impressed already👍

User avatar
dig-dog
Posts: 765
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:24 pm
Location: Kent
Has thanked: 183 times
Been thanked: 179 times

Re: Opted to go for the XP Deus

Post by dig-dog » Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:05 pm

Great choice of machine!
I used an e-trac before for a few years and it took a long time to get to grips with, but the Deus out performed it in the iron so I was finding the goods from the outset.
I still use the X-Y screen as a reference but you’ll end up digging mostly by tone alone.
Deus fast. Stick with it and soon you’ll be tweaking it to suit the ground conditions.
DD ::g
E-trac 13" ultimate coil.
Full XP Deus 11" coil / hf elliptical coil
Sniper spade

ploughchaser
Posts: 311
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:34 am
Has thanked: 224 times
Been thanked: 127 times

Re: Opted to go for the XP Deus

Post by ploughchaser » Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:12 pm

dig-dog wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:05 pm
Great choice of machine!
I used an e-trac before for a few years and it took a long time to get to grips with, but the Deus out performed it in the iron so I was finding the goods from the outset.
I still use the X-Y screen as a reference but you’ll end up digging mostly by tone alone.
Deus fast. Stick with it and soon you’ll be tweaking it to suit the ground conditions.
DD ::g
Thanks D.D I’ll take a look at that programme,I went today and used basic 1,I’ll try it thanks!👍

Sportsman
Posts: 905
Joined: Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:02 pm
Been thanked: 11 times

Re: Opted to go for the XP Deus

Post by Sportsman » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:15 pm

My advice after owning the deus for god knows how long is learn a programme play about with the remote for a few sessions try a few different programmes etc then when your happy put the remote in your pocket as its a tone machine not a numbers machine you will only end up with neck ache looking at numbers all the time lol, I use 2 programmes pasture no iron etc deus fast then for my Roman sites were I am not looking for depth but looking for separation the hot programme works wonders ::g
Xp Deus.

My Lucky Underpants

Post Reply

Return to “XP DEUS Forum”