Winter gear.

Please post all topics related to metal detecting Clothing, bags, footwear here please.
MDF Auction - Metal Detecting Clothing
Easylife

Winter gear.

Post by Easylife » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:38 pm

Not detecting finds but good finds all the same. I notice that the bracing winter weather has recently prompted moans about the cold and recommendations of suitable attire. If anyone is interested I recently bought some new winter kit, all of which I can thoroughly recommend.
A Regatta jacket made of Isotex 500 so waterproof and breathable, lots of choice of styles for £18 delivered off that auction site. Wearing two layers underneath it is just about the right balance of being warm enough without sweating. A hoodie over the WS4'S works well.
Aldi ski pants - waterproof, breathable and insulated. Similar to a regular fit jeans, so not baggy like many ski pants - £18, but may not still be available in store. A pair of braces attached to the belt works well. Just wearing a pair of joggers (the fleecy ones are super warm) underneath are very comfortable.
I was suffering a bit with footwear which was too flexible and getting damaged by digging so set about finding the perfect boots for myself and detecting. After much research I found only one pair which met all of my requirements, I like to try before buying but as they are a newly released model and not yet available locally so I had to take a chance that they would be a good fit by buying online. They fitted perfect and are a truly awesome boot in every way, I could not be happier with them, they're so comfortable. Totally metal free, Composite toecap & midsole, Waterproof, Breathable and Thinsulate lined. Amblers AS440 Skomer The best price I could find them for was £58 delivered. No, I am really not on commission!
Gloves – If you think that a pair of £3.99 Lidl gloves wont be up to much you should think again. I have owned very many pairs of gloves over the years, including winter motorcycle gloves. But these are the warmest gloves that I have ever had and they're totally waterproof due to an inner membrane, so who cares if they get wet or muddy on the outside. Such great value that I went back for more but was not really surprised that they had sold out at my store.
With the above gear I have been out in the low temps all day whilst snowing with a good wind chill and have been completely toasty including feet and hands and have now added a snood to perfect my winter detecting comfort. Why not be comfortable and warm whilst out this winter?
Hope this may be of some benefit to someone. :)

Nox 800, 15" coil & Garrett carrot.
White's TDI SL

Mud Max

Re: Winter gear.

Post by Mud Max » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:56 pm

Some good tips and ideas there, many thanks.
Xp Deus 11" coil
GM5+SE

Jedi Master button finder

Easylife

Post by Easylife » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:34 pm

The problem with any non breathable gear is that condensation forms inside, for example - often running down the insides of the sleeves giving you wet arms, which is not ideal. Modern fabrics are surely the way to go. The more waterproof a fabric is, the less breathable, and vice versa. So there is no point in going over the top for the occasional downpour.
White's TDI SL

murkey

Post by murkey » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:22 pm

Thanks for putting this together, the right gear in winter makes it so much easier to detect, the wrong clothes and its just bloody uncomfortable or cold..
XP DEUS - SOV GT-XS

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:09 pm

A timely and well considered topic 'Easylife'. Thanks ::g Regards ss47
A disservice is no service at all.

Arch Stanton

Post by Arch Stanton » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:52 am

I bought some great waterproof trousers the other day from my local Decathlon store - they are; Solognac 500 warm waterproof hunting trousers £34.99. They have a tough waterproof outer layer, that will withstand most brambles, thorns and rocky ground, and have a fleece liner which is very warm, so you can wear them as your main trousers rather than over-trousers. They look good too. They are great for kneeling on the wet, cold ground and walking through long grass without soaking up the water. You can wipe them clean after a days detecting too. If they have a downside, it's that the fleece lining is only attached at the top and bottom, so if you are putting them on over thick socks, it can get a bit caught-up in places. Otherwise thoroughly recommended.
I've done the 'buckle boogie', the 'musket-ball mambo' and even the 'silver shuffle', but sadly still no 'gold dance'. You're really gonna know it when you see it though!

Easylife

Post by Easylife » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:31 am

Arch Stanton wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:52 am
I bought some great waterproof trousers the other day from my local Decathlon store - they are; Solognac 500 warm waterproof hunting trousers £34.99. They have a tough waterproof outer layer, that will withstand most brambles, thorns and rocky ground, and have a fleece liner which is very warm, so you can wear them as your main trousers rather than over-trousers. They look good too. They are great for kneeling on the wet, cold ground and walking through long grass without soaking up the water. You can wipe them clean after a days detecting too. If they have a downside, it's that the fleece lining is only attached at the top and bottom, so if you are putting them on over thick socks, it can get a bit caught-up in places. Otherwise thoroughly recommended.
I was quite tempted by a similar model of those but they only did them in tree camo which is not my thing. Yes, the hunting gear is tougher. It's worth looking around at ski, fishing & hunting gear for your ideal winter togs. ::g
White's TDI SL

jimp

Post by jimp » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:12 am

These boots are warm, very light, and the lining is removable so they can be washed.
I have had a pair for 2 years, and my feet don't get cold.
They are the lightest on the market. Most fishing shops have them.
Not very expensive.

http://www.fostersofbirmingham.co.uk/RTAB

Easylife

Post by Easylife » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:34 pm

Lidl currently have ski pants in, waterproof, breathable, insulated etc, for less than £20. ;)
White's TDI SL

Return to “Metal Detecting Clothing Bags Backpacks footwear”