Swearing

MDF Notifications
Oxgirl36

Swearing

Post by Oxgirl36 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:00 am

There’s been a disappointing increase in the amount of swearing on the forum recently. Many are lower level, such as a descriptor for a child born out of wedlock, but some are much stronger. However they all chip away at the family friendly standards of the forum.

Please can we respectfully remind everyone that we don’t allow swearing, even in abbreviated form. It’s in our rules if you want to know more ::g

We’d appreciate it if all forum content was suitable for young children. We have a number of young members and we want their parents to feel confident that their children can safely read the forum without seeing swearing.

Thank you :)

The MDF Team.

Carpe vinum

XP Deus !!£$ I use the HOT programme on 17khz, reactivity at 2.5 on v5.21 with the X35 11” coil

Hammered silver 2019 - 23 B-)

lonecoiler

Re: Swearing

Post by lonecoiler » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:26 am

Oxgirl36 wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:00 am
There’s been a disappointing increase in the amount of swearing on the forum recently. Many are lower level, such as a descriptor for a child born out of wedlock, but some are much stronger. However they all chip away at the family friendly standards of the forum.

Please can we respectfully remind everyone that we don’t allow swearing, even in abbreviated form. It’s in our rules if you want to know more ::g

We’d appreciate it if all forum content was suitable for young children. We have a number of young members and we want their parents to feel confident that their children can safely read the forum without seeing swearing.

Thank you :)

The MDF Team.
It would be a shame if the team had to apply sanctions against transgressors. We have a fabulous language ( ruined by americanism and text speak). It would be a shame if a filter had to be used to head off bad language before it was posted.
When I worked at the university. they had so many filters that I could not access things like the Screwfix site as it picked up the start of the word. So come on guys and girls let's keep it cuss free on here. :;@
Garrett Ace 250 with NEL Tornado coil.

So many fields, so few permissions

beaubrummell

Post by beaubrummell » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:58 am

::g ::g ::g
E-Trac
Detech Ultimate
SEF 8x6
Deteknix Wader Li Xpointer
Lesche Digging Tool
AMES entrenching tool
Souped-up Spear & Jackson mini spade
Chefphones CP2 Black
Tomcat Dakota boots
NCMD membership number 13566

liamnolan
Location: Hemswell, Lincolnshire. originally from Dublin, southern Ireland

Post by liamnolan » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:12 am

The mods spend many hours scanning the posts and editing out what may cause offence. That work in itself masks the problem as you will very rarely see it!
Its not only this forum to be fair, its everywhere these days and some people think its "cool" to include. Well, on here its not cool at all, as Cath says, its a forum that has family standards and we all need to remember that as we type. I suppose many members see it on Facebook and then they carry that into here. Liam :;@
Deus, WSi's - In the end we will regret the chances we didn't take, the relationships we were afraid to have and decisions we waited too long to make .. Spokesperson Irish Metal Detecting Society IMDS Vice President European Council for Metal Detecting

T.j

Post by T.j » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:41 am

Hi,

I'm a forum moderator on a large game forum for a series of games that includes Roller Coaster and Space based games and we also have the same problem, It's normally a very friendly place but we do have occasions where it can get a bit fractious.

Luckily we have a large contingent of Forum Moderators patrolling the forum going slowly mad to keep things nice and friendly.

It can be a tough job though, so I know how if feels.

shaggybfc

Post by shaggybfc » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:51 am

Totally agree, absolutely no place for effin and jeffin on here.
XP Deus, 11" X35 coil, WS4 back-phones, remote and an empty bank balance. XP MI 6 pin pointer. Garrett Ace 250 wireless MPow set up.
They told me I’d never be any good at poetry, because I’m dyslexic, but so far I’ve made 3 jugs and a vase.

Easylife

Post by Easylife » Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:04 pm

shaggybfc wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:51 am
Totally agree, absolutely no place for effin and jeffin on here.
Jeffin? x; What the XXXX is that? x;

XXXX is a brand of Australian lager usually also referred to as 4X. I trust that is okay to use though no doubt down to interpretation of the reader's imagination? :D s;..

I agree with keeping things relatively clean with it being a family site. ::g
Nox 800, 15" coil & Garrett carrot.
White's TDI SL

Incognito

Post by Incognito » Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:28 pm

Exactly. I know various people who swear regularly in speech and amongst youngsters, plus online especially US the same, and it is infectious and ends up just being a meaningless way to cause effect which no-one really wants to hear. One grandparent of mine did not know his father, and you know up until the seventies at least in UK there was a large social stigma attached to that, as well as his own sense of loss somewhere. He was a good person too. Nowadays half of marriages fail or don't occur or something like that, many of the rest are simple registry or prenup i.e. formalities for the benefit brought, and what is funnier still is that recognition and rights are given to all sorts of unions, yet children with clearly registered but unmarried parents are still punished in various ways. Odd world we live in, but before anyone uses a word like that they should realise they are insulting quite innocent people (and hurting those who are already scarred) by comparing them to something they dislike and are using the word against. The word actually means "of the saddle" apparently. Oh well, I try not to swear and get away with a few times a year , but I have to catch myself there, much easier when you know others will be there to catch you ::g

Bradrick

Post by Bradrick » Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:05 pm

A policy I totally agree with when it comes to pointless swearing. I like the fact the forum is family-friendly and with few personal attacks. It is about context and audience too. As my club members will testify, I am as happy as the company allows to let the Anglo Saxon flow, as long as it isn't directed at someone, but we don't know who the 'audience' is on here.

There is a slight borderline though. What is offensive to one person certainly wouldn't be to me. Charlie Romeo Alpha Papa is used frequently on here, and I don't think there is much wrong with that. I also mentioned a book on here a while ago. 'Kings, Queens, Bones & Children born out of wedlock' doesn't have the same ring and isn't accurate, so a little flexibility needs to be applied.

Just sayin' B-) :))
Equinox 800
Garrett Ace 400i
C-Scope 1220b

“My life has been full of terrible misfortunes most of which never happened.”

littleboot

Post by littleboot » Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:50 pm

agree in principle...but also I feel that adults shouldn't have to tone their posts excessively either. its about context really....If you are talking about a person born out of wedlock then the term 'bastard' is the correct word and wholly appropriate. Over here in normandy, William the Conqueror is routinely referred to as William the Bastard.. Because he was.

So...the line for me is I am all for eliminating gratuitous swearing and especially insults directed at individuals. However I am totally opposed to PC nonsense such as for example having William the Bastard changed to William the Child Born Out if Wedlock. That becomes something else and is starting to morph into the Newspeak PC censorship we already see far too much of. I have faith in the mods to be sensible.

(I have taught schoolkids from age 4 to 18 at different stages of my career. I assure you that I have never read anything swearing-wise on an adult forum that I haven't heard loud and often in a schoolyard, often issuing forth from the most 'innocent' of mouths. :D I feel it is the parents who delude themselves and its the parents who would be offended on their child's behalf thinking, quite wrongly, that little Jimmy or Jemima were being corrupted. :))
Equinox 600, GMP, wellies.

Wuntbedruv

Post by Wuntbedruv » Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:11 pm

I simply replace my swear words with those from the fictional universe of Warhammer 40,000: 'frakking' and 'fething' being two of those interchangeable verbs :D
God gives all men all earth to love, but since man’s heart is small,
Ordains for each one spot shall prove beloved over all.
Each to his choice, and I rejoice, the lot has fallen to me
In a fair ground—in a fair ground—Yea, Sussex by the sea!

Fusion

Post by Fusion » Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:14 pm

The 'Report a Post' feature only has one option these days: "post does not fit into any category".
Way back when, there were options. Could some choices be reinstated?, like:
"Offensive language"
"Posted in wrong forum section"

This makes it a little easier for us to inform moderators of common issues.

Blackadder43
Admin

Post by Blackadder43 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:40 pm

Wow, some of you taking it soo seriously and looking for loopholes
I'll make it easy
The MDF forum has a zero tolerance policy to swearing
This will continue to be applied ::g
When you are right no one remembers; when you are wrong no one forgets

mrix
Founder

Post by mrix » Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:24 pm

Fusion wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:14 pm
The 'Report a Post' feature only has one option these days: "post does not fit into any category".
Way back when, there were options. Could some choices be reinstated?, like:
"Offensive language"
"Posted in wrong forum section"
Very good point, I will look into it ::g

Thanks
mrix

Return to “Admin Notice”