Is big better?

Quest Metal Detectors Forum
Topics related to Quest metal detectors here, Off topic posts will be removed.
Quest Videos
Jullie Victor

Is big better?

Post by Jullie Victor » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:51 pm

Hi All,

Since a few months I am the proud owner of a Q40. I bought it from a friend but sadly, it came with only the small coil. Having read some post here I noticed that a bigger coil (the Raptor) tend to give better results than the smaller coil.

Now my question is:
is it worth the, in my case, 130 euro's to buy the Raptor for the little extra depth and signals?

Kind regards from the Netherlands
Joost

Jullie Victor

Re: Is big better?

Post by Jullie Victor » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:13 am

Disregard my previous question, i already bought it this morning 😉

shaggybfc

Post by shaggybfc » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:24 am

good man, I'm sure you'll have great success with the larger coil ::g
XP Deus, 11" X35 coil, WS4 back-phones, remote and an empty bank balance. XP MI 6 pin pointer. Garrett Ace 250 wireless MPow set up.
They told me I’d never be any good at poetry, because I’m dyslexic, but so far I’ve made 3 jugs and a vase.

amphora

Post by amphora » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:39 pm

Bigger coil has pro's and con's. Bigger coils for instance have more problems with iron masking and other double signals.
On one of my detector i can only use the original 8" coil and it works very well. Finds thin coins and small objects on depths some people with bigger better detectors have problems with.

Do what gives you most confidence and a good feeling. Find the detector that fits you.
Good luck hunting.

cantona1

Post by cantona1 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:41 pm

I use both coils on my Q40, I haven't found much difference in depth really but the larger coil is slightly more difficult to determine the objects position under the coil, the small coil seems to be more accurate. Good luck, I really rate the Q40, it's a great little machine ::g

Jullie Victor

Post by Jullie Victor » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:07 pm

Thanks for the reply all. This afternoon the bigger coil should be in. (this will also be the moment where my wife wants to divorce me as i won't see her for the upcoming 3 months =)) )

Saffron

Post by Saffron » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:21 pm

Well the second post rather reduced the significance of the first and remainder of the thread.

But I do like the style, "should I, shouldn't I?. Oh blow it, lets go for it" ::g :D

When it comes to coil size questions I always direct folks to this link
http://nel-coils.com/index.php/en/

Although its for Nel coils, giving a rating for each aspect of the coils ability it would also be a guide to other makes of the same coil sizes. So shows the pros and cons of the different sizes.

By coincidence I am considering the larger coil for the Nox.
As I said Ilike the OPs style, "should I, shouldn't I?. Oh blow it, lets go for it", and think I will do the same. :))

Evan

amphora

Post by amphora » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:31 pm

Jullie Victor wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:07 pm
(this will also be the moment where my wife wants to divorce me as i won't see her for the upcoming 3 months =)) )
Or not, as she was able to become some rest for three months. :D
Good luck with both hunting and your wife. ::g
Good luck hunting.

dreadnought

Post by dreadnought » Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:13 pm

ive had my q40 since they were released, and without a doubt the bigger coil is better. you will get some more depth, not a load but noticeable, it wil also give you a better chance of finding smaller items deeper, itll give a lower number in this situation but will get better when dug.

some brand snobs will say theres nothing to learn on the Q40 as its "basic" but learn the machine and learn it well and it wont let you down,
its not a simple three tone machine, it has many variations to those tones and they all tell you more about whats in the ground, its been unfairly slated, to many people put it down due to it being a lesser known brand but it is without a doubt an excellent machine,
plenty of detectorists will champion their current machine, and good for them but ive had some supposedly "top" machines and they aren't any better than the Q40, in some cases...… worse. the Q40 is a bit like ronseal "does exactly what it says on the tin". awesome machine
ive just sold my latest supposedly better machine and am buying another Q40, atleast I can have my own now as my boy commandeered mine,lol.
garret 400i ::g
Quest Q40, awesome machine, never sell it, now the boys :: ::g
Kruzer…………. disappointing, sold ;;z

GP pointer, 3 years and still going, now the boys. ::g
Nokta pointer, best there is ::g

Return to “Quest - Deteknix Forum”