Minelab Equinox Charge Port Protector for the Nox

Only for the discussion of the Minelab Equinox series of metal detector within this forum.
Saffron

Minelab Equinox Charge Port Protector for the Nox

Post by Saffron » Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:09 pm

I have just seen these "Minelab Equinox Charge Port Protector for 600 & 800" advertised on a certain well know site.

To quote the blurb -
"The charge port on the Equinox 600 & 800 is left open and exposed to potential damage, corrosion or oxidization. There have been many reports of the Equinox not charging due to dirty or damaged connector pins resulting in the unit having to be returned or dangerous sanding of the pins by desperate owners!. Our Magnetic Charge port protector keeps the pins covered and safely out the way of dirt and the risk of short circuit, a cheap insurance policy against damage.
Made from tough ABS plastic and held on with strong Neodymium magnets just like the charge cable this item will last the lifetime of the Equinox."

I have not seen them in use, nor know anybody that has used them, so no idea if they are worth getting or not but thought it was worth mentioning in case anybody had concerns about the charger points on the Nox (however from what I have seen any damage done seems to be due to user error).

Evan

Ladybird66

Re: Minelab Equinox Charge Port Protector for the Nox

Post by Ladybird66 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:37 am

Just had a look. Be a bit of a waste on mine because it’s covered anyway. Plus I never put mine down on the ground.
They do a sure grip attachment that’s potentially a useful addition. The hand does tend to get a bit too close to the controller and although I use a cover it’s often got a muddy neck. I’d have doubts about using the buttons over the top of it though.
Thanks for posting ::g

Pete01

Post by Pete01 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:45 am

Saffron wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:09 pm
I have just seen these "Minelab Equinox Charge Port Protector for 600 & 800" advertised on a certain well know site.

To quote the blurb -
"The charge port on the Equinox 600 & 800 is left open and exposed to potential damage, corrosion or oxidization. There have been many reports of the Equinox not charging due to dirty or damaged connector pins resulting in the unit having to be returned or dangerous sanding of the pins by desperate owners!. Our Magnetic Charge port protector keeps the pins covered and safely out the way of dirt and the risk of short circuit, a cheap insurance policy against damage.
Made from tough ABS plastic and held on with strong Neodymium magnets just like the charge cable this item will last the lifetime of the Equinox."

I have not seen them in use, nor know anybody that has used them, so no idea if they are worth getting or not but thought it was worth mentioning in case anybody had concerns about the charger points on the Nox (however from what I have seen any damage done seems to be due to user error).

Evan
Thanks for the heads up!- I'm going to have a look at those as I was wondering if there was anything like that available!. Currently I've just been sticking a bit of electrcians insulation tape over the charging port but thats not ideal- I stick the tape over the whole recess rather than directly over the contacts so as not to leave any residue from the glue on the contacts. Standard width tape just about spans the gap and I've been meaning to find some wider suitable tape- or using two strips stuck together to make it wider.

A purpose built magnetic protector cap sounds like a great solution- why don't they think of that sort of thing when they're designing stuff!.

Pete01

Post by Pete01 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:16 am

Ladybird66 wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:37 am
Just had a look. Be a bit of a waste on mine because it’s covered anyway. Plus I never put mine down on the ground.
They do a sure grip attachment that’s potentially a useful addition. The hand does tend to get a bit too close to the controller and although I use a cover it’s often got a muddy neck. I’d have doubts about using the buttons over the top of it though.
Thanks for posting ::g
Just had a look at those sure grip things whilst taking a look at the charging port protectors and it got me thinking that you could probably make one of those out of a camping mat and save a tenner!- just cut a doughnut shape out of the mat and cut a slit in it and slip it over the handle!.

I've found loads of uses for camping mats including making a coil and control box protection cover for when I'm carrying my detector around in a backpack!- also handy to line the internals of any bag to add some cushioning etc.

PinkFloyd

Post by PinkFloyd » Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:08 am

Although I’m new to the equinox, The sure grip attachment works well.
Hand sits in a more natural comfortable position ::g

fred

Post by fred » Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:10 am

I have nothing against aftermarket stuff but 'many reports'?

I've heard people say that it look as though it won't last but none who say that it hasn't. A few people have broken charging cable heads but that seems to have mostly been 'operator error'. My poor babies have had nearly two uncared for years, mostly in a salt water environment, and they seem fine. 😁
Equinox 800 x2

GeorgeMK

Post by GeorgeMK » Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:19 am

I saw those charging point covers yesterday and thought good idea, but I haven’t had any indication of a problem yet, from anyone I know, or forums/facebook, so do I really need them?

When my wife got her Nox and I assembled it I did wonder then if the charging contacts would get dirty or corroded over time. I got my Nox a short time afterwards and we then both got covers for the controller, the covers we got (Searcher) also cover the charging point (some covers don’t) so I don’t expect any mud or muck to come into contact with the pins.

I also saw the grip attachment, and there is another type also available on that site which simply clips into place without screws. A grip attachment is not something that my wife or I think will be beneficial to us, so we won’t be getting them.

Bargeman

Post by Bargeman » Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:53 am

Is this just another answer to a problem that doesn't exist?🤔

BM [:)

Walk that line, torn apart
spend your whole life trying.
Ride that train, free your heart,
it's midnight up in Harlem.

Midnight in Harlem, Tedeschi Trucks Band

Badger1935

Post by Badger1935 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:49 pm

I purchased one of the original design sure grips when they first came out.I found that the edges where rather sharp and not that well finished,It certainly gave a more comfortable grip.l took a file to the edges to make it more user friendly.It was after some use I found the front round edge made it a little difficult to reach the buttons.So I sawed off about 10mm of the front edge only to find that it was a hollow construction,I filled the hollow with Q-Bond and filed it back to shape.I now think it is a worthwhile addition shame it needed the work to make it so.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Pete01

Post by Pete01 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:52 pm

PinkFloyd wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:08 am
Although I’m new to the equinox, The sure grip attachment works well.
Hand sits in a more natural comfortable position ::g
I think you've just sold me on the idea!- I'm defintiely going to try it! ::g

Pete01

Post by Pete01 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:01 pm

fred wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:10 am

I've heard people say that it look as though it won't last but none who say that it hasn't. A few people have broken charging cable heads but that seems to have mostly been 'operator error'. My poor babies have had nearly two uncared for years, mostly in a salt water environment, and they seem fine. 😁
I think you're right about user error Fred!. I think thats because people keep pulling it off which can cause damage to the head if they keep doing it instead of sliding it out carefully from the side as advised by Minelab in their manual!. The receptacle that contains the contact points is slightly tapered so it's quite a tight fit and pulling the head out at the wrong angle can scrape against it causing issues over time when not done properly!.

I'm aware of this issue as have read about it online- my main concern was about salty residue that could build up from long sessions on the beach which unless rubbed off frequently could cause issues in the long run. I think when in doubt some form of protection would be advisable!- so I'm thinking that somehting on the lines of that protector cap might be worth trying!.

fred

Post by fred » Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:58 pm

Pete01 wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:01 pm
fred wrote:

I think you're right about user error Fred!. I think thats because people keep pulling it off which can cause damage to the head if they keep doing it instead of sliding it out carefully from the side as advised by Minelab in their manual!. The receptacle that contains the contact points is slightly tapered so it's quite a tight fit and pulling the head out at the wrong angle can scrape against it causing issues over time when not done properly!.

I'm aware of this issue as have read about it online- my main concern was about salty residue that could build up from long sessions on the beach which unless rubbed off frequently could cause issues in the long run. I think when in doubt some form of protection would be advisable!- so I'm thinking that somehting on the lines of that protector cap might be worth trying!.

It certainly is unlikely to hurt it. Being out in the rain occasionally is the only thing approximating to tlc that mine gets though! :D
Equinox 800 x2

Pete01

Post by Pete01 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:47 pm

fred wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:58 pm
Pete01 wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:01 pm
fred wrote:

It certainly is unlikely to hurt it. Being out in the rain occasionally is the only thing approximating to tlc that mine gets though! :D
I think I'd be a bit wary of exposing mine outside especially on the beach!- but I'm glad to hear that you haven't had any issues with yours and that it's still working fine! ::g

LuckyB

Post by LuckyB » Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:19 pm

I bought the grip stop recently (which I think is a revised design, it actually looks very similar to badger's reworked original!), for me it makes the grip much more comfortable and there were no issues accessing the buttons.

Ten pence!

Post by Ten pence! » Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:52 pm

:-/
There seems to be a lot of gadgets and add on bits for the Equinox, and I'm not sure all of them are either necessary or worth the bother, 3D printed stuff is often made out of material that is unsuitable, and who needs a control box cover with a built in hoodie?

PinkFloyd

Post by PinkFloyd » Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:12 am

Not got one of them, but I can see is being ideal to stop the sun and rain obscuring the display .

beachboy70

Post by beachboy70 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:52 am

This cover sounds a really good idea i do get charging issues at times and it gives all strange lights on the Nox. I see some people have had no problems could i just be unlucky. It was so bad back in the summer i had problems getting it to charge some days it showed as charged but was not i looked very closely at the contacts and they had a fine deposit of salt on them. I ran a very fine wet / dry paper over them and that cured the problem. I tried cleaning the contacts with other methods but only that worked. As i am using my Nox mostly at the beach that is the problem ( salty air ) so any cover that helps this problem is great. beachboy70 ::g

Dangerous Norman

Post by Dangerous Norman » Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:19 pm

I saw this post and although I've not had a problem I ordered one yesterday & it came today. For the cosmetics alone it was worth it, the back of the detector head doesn't look like I've 'lost a cover' now. It had always looked like something was missing. In hindsight I should have ordered one for the WM08

Bors

Post by Bors » Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:58 pm

a much cheaper way if anyone`s that bothered, just stick a blob of Blue tack over the end of the terminal. Blue tacks not sticky enough to stick to the innards when its pulled away from the terminal and it will always go back on.

PinkFloyd

Post by PinkFloyd » Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:15 pm

Bors, how long does it take you to peel an orange in your pocket ? :))

The cover is for nowt , get one bought ::g

Bargeman

Post by Bargeman » Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:23 pm

I have come to the conclusion after reading through this thread, that the answer is to leave the Nox in its box, and go detecting with something else, it will save all the worry x; ::g

BM [:)

Walk that line, torn apart
spend your whole life trying.
Ride that train, free your heart,
it's midnight up in Harlem.

Midnight in Harlem, Tedeschi Trucks Band

Dave8472

Post by Dave8472 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:30 pm

I would like something to cover the sockets on the headphones.

I’ve got a bit of tape over the jack socket but it would be good to have something to stop the mud getting in the usb charging port.

Dave ):=
Minelab Equinox 800 : 15", 11" Coils
XP Deus V3.2 - WS5 : 9" Coil
Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Garmin eTrex 20 GPS
Past Detectors : Explorer Se Pro, CTX3030

PinkFloyd

Post by PinkFloyd » Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:44 pm

I’d like the hand grip turned 15 degrees please , so it’s bang on in my eyes when I glance at it ::g

Cheers

Pete01

Post by Pete01 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:54 pm

Dave8472 wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:30 pm
I would like something to cover the sockets on the headphones.

I’ve got a bit of tape over the jack socket but it would be good to have something to stop the mud getting in the usb charging port.

You can get USB protector plugs- check out the links below!.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20pc-Soft-Pl ... Sw94Ba5A0R

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10pcs-Clear- ... SwPhRaveE5

Pete01

Post by Pete01 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:58 pm

PinkFloyd wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:44 pm
I’d like the hand grip turned 15 degrees please , so it’s bang on in my eyes when I glance at it ::g

Cheers
Or you could just tilt your coil 15 degrees to the right! lol!. Saying that- it's only a matter of time before they bring out wireless sunglasses which project your screen display on to the inside of the lenses!.

Dave8472

Post by Dave8472 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:20 pm

Thanks Pete, it’s one of the mini slim types, but I will have a look as that’s a great idea

Minelab Equinox 800 : 15", 11" Coils
XP Deus V3.2 - WS5 : 9" Coil
Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Garmin eTrex 20 GPS
Past Detectors : Explorer Se Pro, CTX3030

PinkFloyd

Post by PinkFloyd » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:47 pm

Pete01 wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:58 pm
PinkFloyd wrote:

Cheers
Or you could just tilt your coil 15 degrees to the right! lol!. Saying that- it's only a matter of time before they bring out wireless sunglasses which project your screen display on to the inside of the lenses!.
Already in production, released early April 2020 ::g

Pete01

Post by Pete01 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:51 pm

PinkFloyd wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:47 pm
Pete01 wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:58 pm
PinkFloyd wrote:

Cheers
Already in production, released early April 2020 ::g
Earlier than I thought then!- thanks for the heads up! ::g

Bors

Post by Bors » Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:04 am

I`d say whats being forgotten almost here is that the Equinox is a submersible detector. Why are people so frightened of getting their detector wet or "dirty" even? I can`t get my head around that.
If its mucky after being in the field or on the beach ,there`s nothing a quick hose down won`t sort out in the back yard ,or if you havn`t got a hose in your back yard stick it in a bath of water and clean it (preferably when the mrs`s is out)and if you're that concerned about it standing there after all that , miserable, cold, and lonely, give it a quick going over with a hairdryer then finish the job with a big hug` n a kiss if it puts your mind at ease. Keep in mind ,it's an All-terrain and submersible detector made to withstand the many conditions out there, thrown at it.
Looking after a detector is admirable, but remember a detector is a tool of work , mollycoddling it is being a bit overprotective.
And IF by any chance you do get any problem with any water seepage ,most Equinox`s are still under warranty and will get exchanged if faults appear on any parts .

Roger

Post by Roger » Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:18 am

I can just see it now, a mini umbrella that sits at the end of the control unit an stops rain drops falling on the screen! As for the charge port if you submerge your nox with a port protector on you will have to take it off anyway as its not water tight to wipe an dry the salt water off the contacts when you get home so can't see the point! People are moaning about the weight of the nox but are now adding extras to it that in reality are not needed.

Return to “Minelab Equinox Forum”