Does the Equinox Pinpoint Mode Ratchet?

Only for the discussion of the Minelab Equinox series of metal detector within this forum.
detectorman5050

Does the Equinox Pinpoint Mode Ratchet?

Post by detectorman5050 » Thu May 24, 2018 7:30 pm

Before I got the Equinox, I was used to using machines where you could 'ratchet' the pinpoint mode, i.e. narrow down the location of the target with each pass of the search coil. On some machines I had to press/release, press/release the pinpoint button to do this.

I've read the manual on the Equinox, and supposedly the pinpoint mode narrows with each pass of the search coil over the target (don't need to press any buttons from my understanding, once in pinpoint mode.)

It might just be me, but I am not noticing the pinpoint signal becoming narrower.

What is everyone else's experience?

Minelab Equinox 800. CTX 3030. Visua Pinpointer.

Bargeman

Re: Does the Equinox Pinpoint Mode Ratchet?

Post by Bargeman » Thu May 24, 2018 7:36 pm

In short, Yes.

But you do need to use big initial swings of the coil, and it will then close in on the target. And when mine actually works that is what it does, but mine has had an issue since day one :D but to be fair, you really don't need the pinpointed for good signals, the usual swing slowly back until the target tone drops off works just as well.

Where I like the pinpointer though is when you hit a very faint iffy signal, if you pinpoint this it will give you a solid tone to be able to dig to. ::g

BM [:)

Walk that line, torn apart
spend your whole life trying.
Ride that train, free your heart,
it's midnight up in Harlem.

Midnight in Harlem, Tedeschi Trucks Band

fred

Post by fred » Thu May 24, 2018 7:44 pm

Using pinpoint you simply turn it on and move it backwards and forewards until the sound is only in one small place. I seldom use it though because the pinpointing is very good in the Modes, with or without all metal turned on. Depending upon the Response Speed being used a target can be very accurately located simply by speeding up the swing speed a bit. ::g
Equinox 800 x2

detectorman5050

Post by detectorman5050 » Thu May 24, 2018 7:59 pm

Bargeman wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 7:36 pm
but mine has had an issue since day one :D

What is the issue?

detectorman5050

Post by detectorman5050 » Thu May 24, 2018 8:01 pm

fred wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 7:44 pm
Using pinpoint you simply turn it on and move it backwards and forewards until the sound is only in one small place. I seldom use it though because the pinpointing is very good in the Modes, with or without all metal turned on. Depending upon the Response Speed being used a target can be very accurately located simply by speeding up the swing speed a bit. ::g
I move it from side to side, as opposed to backwards and forwards? I am not noticing the sound being in 'one small place.'

This could be due to me doing something wrong, or perhaps being used to more precise pinpointing on smaller coils?

Bargeman

Post by Bargeman » Thu May 24, 2018 8:09 pm

detectorman5050 wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 7:59 pm
Bargeman wrote:

What is the issue?
Mine doesn't work sometimes at all, or is very very quiet, but if I turn it (the pinpointer) off and back on again, it then usually starts to work. it's not a major issue, and I can work round it ::g

Walk that line, torn apart
spend your whole life trying.
Ride that train, free your heart,
it's midnight up in Harlem.

Midnight in Harlem, Tedeschi Trucks Band

detectorman5050

Post by detectorman5050 » Thu May 24, 2018 8:14 pm

Bargeman wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 8:09 pm
detectorman5050 wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 7:59 pm
Bargeman wrote:

What is the issue?
Mine doesn't work sometimes at all, or is very very quiet, but if I turn it (the pinpointer) off and back on again, it then usually starts to work. it's not a major issue, and I can work round it ::g

I have to admit, mine seems a bit odd at times too.

I have actually read that the Equinox is capable of receiving software updates (don't know if true.) Will be interesting to see if pinpoint mode is a subject of any future updates.

I read that the power cable, doubles as a data cable.

Boandtia

Post by Boandtia » Fri May 25, 2018 11:55 am

detectorman5050 wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 7:30 pm
Before I got the Equinox, I was used to using machines where you could 'ratchet' the pinpoint mode, i.e. narrow down the location of the target with each pass of the search coil. On some machines I had to press/release, press/release the pinpoint button to do this.

I've read the manual on the Equinox, and supposedly the pinpoint mode narrows with each pass of the search coil over the target (don't need to press any buttons from my understanding, once in pinpoint mode.)

It might just be me, but I am not noticing the pinpoint signal becoming narrower.

What is everyone else's experience?
There is certainly an issue with the Equinox in pinpoin mode, nothing serious. Usually I take the coil well away from the target turn pinpoint off and back on and it is fine.
HH
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Excalibur 11
Garrett AT Pro International
Garrett Sea Hunter MK 2
Garrett Propointer.
Makro Waterproof Pointer.
Flask of coffee / brandy
Plenty of fags
A lot of patience

Return to “Minelab Equinox Forum”