Equinox Silver Numbers... Updated.

Only for the discussion of the Minelab Equinox series of metal detector within this forum.
Phil2401

Re: Equinox Silver Numbers... Updated.

Post by Phil2401 »

Apologies to those who have selective hearing, but the ears beat the screen numbers every time.

Phil

Quaerite et invenietis

XP Deus

Blackadder43
Admin

Post by Blackadder43 »

I'm not sure that anyone here is advocating digging purely by numbers alone
I know i'm not!
But, sometimes when in the field it is usefull to have an idea of what comes in where on the screens
I dig by tone, usually *
I am always conscious of the numbers though, as i suspect a lot of people are

I added my coin to the thread because i had misread the original post, i thought that the chart was an in ground chart and not an in air test

There is no shame though in anyone digging by numbers if thats what they choose to do
Some folk have limited time in the fields and need to maximise that as much as possible
Some have green waste and therefore will possibly not dig below certain numbers

* On a green waste farm i go to i do not dig below 9 due to the 99% of the times it being foil, and i dont have enough energy to dig 99 signals to just get 1 keeper
I am doing tests with the nox settings to try to overcome this on this particular farm though

Its still a usefull chart no matter what you use the data for. ::g
When you are right no one remembers; when you are wrong no one forgets

Bargeman

Post by Bargeman »

If we cast our minds back to those far off heady days when the Equinox was a new machine, and still a relatively rare sight out in a field, then you may all well remember the still ongoing discussions over the numbers and compressed signal range of all targets. So in an effort to give some users a clue as to what was happening, I decided rightly or wrongly to do the initial tests shown here.
Now I would have loved to go into my garden and buried the above targets, but as I live on an old iron barge out on the cut, my "garden" is a small 8" flower pot, so I had no choice but to do an air test, and that needed the sensitivity way down low, seeing as living in a metal tube makes using a metal detector almost impossible.

This was never meant to be an definitive test, no test ever is, it was just a guide, trying to show where you could expect to find silver targets, not to tell people not to dig a good signal. Sure hearing a nice signal is great, but what if you have impaired hearing, or even no hearing, then your only choice would be to dig numbers.

So please just look at the results for what they are, and not what you would like them to be.

But now a year or so down the road, the Nox is seen at every rally, and the understanding of how it works, and what it is telling you is far better understood, it is not perfect for the UK detectorist but again it was not made for us alone, but still the more we understand of how it works, and what it tells us, the better we will get on out in the field. ::g

BM [:)

Equinox 800
Rutus Alter 71

Pete E

Post by Pete E »

Bargeman wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:48 pm
If we cast our minds back to those far off heady days when the Equinox was a new machine, and still a relatively rare sight out in a field, then you may all well remember the still ongoing discussions over the numbers and compressed signal range of all targets. So in an effort to give some users a clue as to what was happening, I decided rightly or wrongly to do the initial tests shown here.
Now I would have loved to go into my garden and buried the above targets, but as I live on an old iron barge out on the cut, my "garden" is a small 8" flower pot, so I had no choice but to do an air test, and that needed the sensitivity way down low, seeing as living in a metal tube makes using a metal detector almost impossible.

This was never meant to be an definitive test, no test ever is, it was just a guide, trying to show where you could expect to find silver targets, not to tell people not to dig a good signal. Sure hearing a nice signal is great, but what if you have impaired hearing, or even no hearing, then your only choice would be to dig numbers.

So please just look at the results for what they are, and not what you would like them to be.

But now a year or so down the road, the Nox is seen at every rally, and the understanding of how it works, and what it is telling you is far better understood, it is not perfect for the UK detectorist but again it was not made for us alone, but still the more we understand of how it works, and what it tells us, the better we will get on out in the field. ::g

BM [:)
For a newbie to the Nox that is both very helpful and very informative.

I know many people prefer to interpret the tones and say the numbers are not accurate, but the tones are based on where you set the Tone Breaks, which of course is based on the numbers.

As an example, last Sunday I was getting shotgun bases at around 14 or 20 which because of the setting of one of the Tone Breaks at 19 meant I was getting two distinct audio tones...Both methods indicated a digable target...

That said I can believe the audio tones probably convey more subtle info, but not everyone can appreciate that.

Again going back to last Sunday somebody let me run the Nox over a grot that had been found... I can say it came up at around 14 but I can't recall the tone...that is one example, but I struggle in other ways too ie I can't hold a tune and neither can I reproduce a tone with any accuracy after hearing it...my old music teacher described it as "aural dyslexia"

So for me the TIDs and how they behave are important, even with their limitations.....
Makro Racer 2
Makro Pinpointer
August EP650 Wireless headphones
TaoTronics Wireless Portable Transmitter, (Bluetooth 4.1, aptX Low Latency)

fred

Post by fred »

It certainly takes a long while to get the hang of the subtleties of the numbers and sounds of the Nox. ::g Certainly even the way that the numbers bounce around can help with the ID.
Equinox 800 x2

PinkFloyd

Post by PinkFloyd »

Not Having the target numbers range from 0-99 is an odd and rather poor decision by minelab .
I’ve used one, but wouldn’t buy one .
Very good machine no doubt about it, but its relying on guesswork too much at the deeper targets for my liking.
The numbers chart is a great post and I’m sure it will help many ::g

Return to “Minelab Equinox Forum”