HELP Please

Only for the discussion of the Minelab Equinox series of metal detector within this forum.
Ladybird66

HELP Please

Post by Ladybird66 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:59 pm

I know this is a topic that has been discussed a few times by 800 users. I have a 600 and badly contaminated land to detect.
Has anyone managed to mask out the excellent signal produced by deep, old iron. Out last Sat. In a new field, deep ploughed and manure dug in. Rolled, disked and seeded. Tried Iron Mask at 2 in Field 1 And still kept getting high number, high tone signals that mostly don’t change. Increased Iron Mask to 3, Tried All Metal, that sorted some out but not all.
Had one signal, sounded good, dug to spade and 1/2 depth before it changed. Any help would be appreciated.
2nd realy deep hole, best part of 2 spade lengths did produce a 9 1/2 oz lead lid with tiny round patterns around the edge. Mustn’t forget the George 3rd half penny, cracking signal :) so not all bad.

djm666

Re: HELP Please

Post by djm666 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:18 pm

Listen to the sounds you get when pinpointing. That will give you an idea if it is large if the pinpoint indicates a wide target. All metal may give an indication there is some iron.
Gordan Heritage suggests iron can be identified by switching to single frequency 10Khz, and if the target ID jumps (e.g from 17 to 27) it is iron due to the differences in how the target ID is generated in single and multi frequency. (for non ferrous, the ID should stay the same).

I would suggest digging a few signals you think are iron with whatever techniques you use to give you confidence whether they are accurate or not.

Ladybird66

Post by Ladybird66 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:09 pm

Thanks djm I’ll look into trying a single frequency. Not done that yet.
Know what you mean about wide signal with the pin pointer but sometimes you just have to dig it x;
Sounds daft I know but a very wise man once asked, How many hoards might we have walked past because we thought, oh its a wide signal, it’s a big chunk of iron.
I’ll get the bible out and start reading, again :D

Bargeman

Post by Bargeman » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:20 pm

djm666 wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:18 pm
Heritage suggests iron can be identified by switching to single frequency 10Khz, and if the target ID jumps (e.g from 17 to 27) it is iron due
This is correct, it only takes a second to run over a signal in 5 or 10 kHz, before deciding to dig or not, also switching the iron mask (horseshoe button) on is helpful. Every machine I have tried gets fooled by some big iron, but I tend to dig it from the hole just incase it is masking something better in the same hole. ::g

BM [:)

Walk that line, torn apart
spend your whole life trying.
Ride that train, free your heart,
it's midnight up in Harlem.

Midnight in Harlem, Tedeschi Trucks Band

fred

Post by fred » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:40 pm

Bargeman wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:20 pm
djm666 wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:18 pm
Heritage suggests iron can be identified by switching to single frequency 10Khz, and if the target ID jumps (e.g from 17 to 27) it is iron due
This is correct, it only takes a second to run over a signal in 5 or 10 kHz, before deciding to dig or not, also switching the iron mask (horseshoe button) on is helpful. Every machine I have tried gets fooled by some big iron, but I tend to dig it from the hole just incase it is masking something better in the same hole. ::g

BM [:)
For the same reason my detecting also tends to be more about field clearance than deliberately selecting targets. ::g

I have noticed that once the machine is set up to reject small iron it is possible, with experience, to identify most other iron. It tends to only be certain numbers, there are negative numbers around it, the sound (in 50 tones anyway) is very different and the signal is wider and the edges less abrupt than non ferrous items with the same number should be.

If you are hunting in all metal there is also a reverse process for deciding which negative signals are really non ferrous or are masking non ferrous ones. :D

One thing that may be worth trying is varying the Response Speed, the higher the number the sharper the response. At some point the iron signals tend to become more obvious than they are at lower Response Speed settings.
Equinox 800 x2

Ladybird66

Post by Ladybird66 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:19 pm

Bargeman, I was using Iron Mask at 2 initially then increased it to 3.

Fred, as always, some good points. 17 seemed to be a favourite and yes there were negative numbers all around. I was using 5 tones and recovery speed 3. Mostly I was only switching to All Metal for confirmation.
I think I’m just going to have to learn to ignore the big signals, no matter what the number. But as I said sometimes you could be ignoring at your peril.
On the other hand I don’t think I’m realy up to digging 2ft holes these days. Maybe it’s time I looked for somewhere else to dig. Apart from anything else it’s no fun digging through buried deep litter on every signal. The dogs love it when I get home 8-}
I’m going to have a look at changing to 1 frequency. If it’s as easy as Bargeman says it could be useful.
At the moment it’s a love/hate relationship but I’ve been there before. Must remind mysel of the 3 p’s patience, persistence, perseverance.
Thanks for answers so far. ::g

fred

Post by fred » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:46 pm

Ladybird66 wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:19 pm
Bargeman, I was using Iron Mask at 2 initially then increased it to 3.

Fred, as always, some good points. 17 seemed to be a favourite and yes there were negative numbers all around. I was using 5 tones and recovery speed 3. Mostly I was only switching to All Metal for confirmation.
I think I’m just going to have to learn to ignore the big signals, no matter what the number. But as I said sometimes you could be ignoring at your peril.
On the other hand I don’t think I’m realy up to digging 2ft holes these days. Maybe it’s time I looked for somewhere else to dig. Apart from anything else it’s no fun digging through buried deep litter on every signal. The dogs love it when I get home 8-}
I’m going to have a look at changing to 1 frequency. If it’s as easy as Bargeman says it could be useful.
At the moment it’s a love/hate relationship but I’ve been there before. Must remind mysel of the 3 p’s patience, persistence, perseverance.
Thanks for answers so far. ::g
A lot depends upon how often you are out detecting. I am pretty comfortable with the Nox now but I detect most days so my experience has built up pretty quickly. ::g
Equinox 800 x2

Ladybird66

Post by Ladybird66 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:11 pm

OK So I’ve gone back to the manual to find out how to change to a single frequency.
If someone’s got time can they have a look at page 28 - the chart given shows the 600 in Park and Field pre-sets only operates in 5,10 and 15kHz. This is direct opposition to what I’ve read somewhere else that the 600 uses all frequencies when in multi mode.i.e. 5, 10, 15, 20 & 40kHz
Am I reading it wrong ? Or what ?

Bargeman is right, it looks easy and I saw someone doing it in a vid.clip.

iDetect

Post by iDetect » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:09 am

Ladybird66 wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:11 pm
OK So I’ve gone back to the manual to find out how to change to a single frequency.
If someone’s got time can they have a look at page 28 - the chart given shows the 600 in Park and Field pre-sets only operates in 5,10 and 15kHz. This is direct opposition to what I’ve read somewhere else that the 600 uses all frequencies when in multi mode.i.e. 5, 10, 15, 20 & 40kHz
Am I reading it wrong ? Or what ?
Both the Equinox 600 and Equinox 800 offer identical Multi-IQ modes covering the full frequency range. The Equinox 600 simply disallows direct access to the 20 khz and 40 kHz single
Mark in Wigan
"All the gear and no idea"

Equinox 800 - SuperblueS Headset
PI XPointer - Evolution Blade - Evolution Sand Scoop
NCMD Member

Ladybird66

Post by Ladybird66 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:30 am

Have you ever felt like a complete idiot !?
Well I do and don’t mind admitting when I have a senior moment. rl;
Have re-read Page 28 and can now see the Pre-Set chart shows which single frequencies are available to use on each machine.

Glad that’s sorted, forget I mentioned it ::g

fred

Post by fred » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:50 am

Ladybird66 wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:30 am
Have you ever felt like a complete idiot !?
Well I do and don’t mind admitting when I have a senior moment. rl;
Have re-read Page 28 and can now see the Pre-Set chart shows which single frequencies are available to use on each machine.

Glad that’s sorted, forget I mentioned it ::g
I did the same thing with the automatic ground balance! I confused it with ground tracking and only did manual ground balances for the first six weeks of owning a Nox. ::g
Equinox 800 x2

Return to “Minelab Equinox Forum”