interesting Equinox settings

Only for the discussion of the Minelab Equinox series of metal detector within this forum.
slowsweep

interesting Equinox settings

Post by slowsweep » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:24 pm

came across this vid of Toddy Irvine and the settings he uses, i havent used these so "dont shoot the messenger" but its worth a bash, if you have used them tell us what you think.

GL&HH

Just dig it and put your mind at rest

Hairyhands

Re: interesting Equinox settings

Post by Hairyhands » Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:56 pm

I will stick with my settings

beep-and-dig

Post by beep-and-dig » Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:36 pm

The noise will drive you nuts. ;;z

Doyoudigitman

Post by Doyoudigitman » Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:58 pm

Been there done that it's a head melter

fred

Post by fred » Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:09 pm

Thanks for the link. I really wish that he'd chosen to record somewhere away from the traffic though. :D

I actually agree with most of what he is saying about the Nox and there is much good advice in there which applies to all the Modes. However, the Gold Modes are very noisy and I personally don't like them much. Of course I will probably experiment with them at some time in the future to find out exactly what they will do. I also prefer to hunt with all metal turned on permanently but with the iron (Tone 1) volume and tone both set at 1. There is a practical reason for this because really, really deep signals become a splutter anyway and you don't want to be confusing them with the spluttering signals from iron that he describes. It also avoids any need to toggle to check signals for iron. ::g

The advantage of programmable detectors is that people can experiment with the settings and find what is right for them and their sites. It's great that people then freely share their knowledge. ::g
Equinox 800 x2

broadsmaster

Post by broadsmaster » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:38 pm

just to say i have been using the gold mode exclusively for the last month and with a bit of tweaking i now have it how i like and cant see me using any other mode , only downside is you have to use some discrimination as you cant use all metal in the gold modes and ,even though its only a single tone it does still provide quite a bit of information..
i was previously using field 2 , 2 tones ,all metal reactivity 4/5 iron bias 2 with great success but the modified gold mode is now my go to setting it obviously would not suit some but for me it is ideal.

As fred said its the people experimenting with the settings and finding what works for them !!!
minelab equinox 800

Easylife

Post by Easylife » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:53 pm

The goldfield program on the Deus is the deepest as it uses less filtering, it's better suited to cleaner ground though. I've not tried it on the Nox yet, but will do.
Nox 800, 15" coil & Garrett carrot.
White's TDI SL

slowsweep

Post by slowsweep » Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:35 pm

i really dont mind noisy, i tend to run my machines as hot as possible, some good info coming forward, im itching to get out and try it for myself and i have just the place for it, pasture thats been done to death by every man and his dog, with every make of machine from the last 30yrs that still throws up the occasional hammered coin ::g
Just dig it and put your mind at rest

fred

Post by fred » Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:39 pm

broadsmaster wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:38 pm
just to say i have been using the gold mode exclusively for the last month and with a bit of tweaking i now have it how i like and cant see me using any other mode , only downside is you have to use some discrimination as you cant use all metal in the gold modes and ,even though its only a single tone it does still provide quite a bit of information..
i was previously using field 2 , 2 tones ,all metal reactivity 4/5 iron bias 2 with great success but the modified gold mode is now my go to setting it obviously would not suit some but for me it is ideal.

As fred said its the people experimenting with the settings and finding what works for them !!!
The Gold Mode multifrequency is weighted towards the two higher frequencies in order to pick up small gold. I can see how this might work for finding hammies but how does it perform on other larger targets? :D
Equinox 800 x2

broadsmaster

Post by broadsmaster » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:38 am

broadsmaster wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:31 am
quote fred

The Gold Mode multifrequency is weighted towards the two higher frequencies in order to pick up small gold. I can see how this might work for finding hammies but how does it perform on other larger targets? :D
Hi fred to be honest i have not noticed any difference in finding large targets \high conductors using gold mode vs any other mode , out on a dig yesterday and dug some large lead weights , a large bronze buckle and a couple of lizzie sixpences and plenty of miniscule bits .
rightly or wrongly i am running my discrimination at 4 to cut out a bit of noise and cut down on digging so many tiny pieces of foil etc .
i know i stand a chance of msising some targets as i have a 9 carat charm from a bracelet that comes in at 1 on the vdi , but with my gold settings i can quite often run the nox at full sensitivity something i couldnt do on my land with the other modes. 8-|
[/quote]
minelab equinox 800

broadsmaster

Post by broadsmaster » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:41 am

broadsmaster wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:38 am
broadsmaster wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:31 am
quote fred

Hi fred to be honest i have not noticed any difference in finding large targets \high conductors using gold mode vs any other mode , out on a dig yesterday and dug some large lead weights , a large bronze buckle and a couple of lizzie sixpences and plenty of miniscule bits .
rightly or wrongly i am running my discrimination at 4 to cut out a bit of noise and cut down on digging so many tiny pieces of foil etc .
i know i stand a chance of msising some targets as i have a 9 carat charm from a bracelet that comes in at 1 on the vdi , but with my gold settings i can quite often run the nox at full sensitivity something i couldnt do on my land with the other modes. 8-|
minelab equinox 800

fred

Post by fred » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:50 am

Thanks. Most interesting. ::g
Equinox 800 x2

detectorman5050

Post by detectorman5050 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:25 pm

I messed about with the Gold 1 setting today in a field, as I have done in the past.

From memory, had it on Gold1, sensitivity 24, iron bias 3, reactivity 3, discrimination blocking everything under 1.

I buried a crusty pre decimal penny about 11-12 inches down, and it was still getting it, but wasn't a very strong signal to be honest. Found tiny silver three pence, and small silver 'Isle of Man' brooch too; however they were not super deep.

My settings were quite noisy, and a bit irritating at times.

I would be interested in others who have tried this mode, and what their findings/settings are.

Thanks.
Minelab Equinox 800. CTX 3030. Intey Pinpointer.

detectorman5050

Post by detectorman5050 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:01 pm

beep-and-dig wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:36 pm
I just did a tabletop test with Gold Mode 1, Reactivity 3, Sensitivity 25, and then put the machine in 20 khz. There is no option for iron bias once you choose this setup.

The machine indoors in a very high EMI environment became much quieter.

I know 20khz is not the recommended frequency for high conductors, but it was still picking up a bronze penny at 22 inches, and silver sixpences at 16 to 17 inches.

How the above would work in 'real life' conditions, I don't know.

fred

Post by fred » Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:40 pm

detectorman5050 wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:01 pm
beep-and-dig wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:36 pm
I just did a tabletop test with Gold Mode 1, Reactivity 3, Sensitivity 25, and then put the machine in 20 khz. There is no option for iron bias once you choose this setup.

The machine indoors in a very high EMI environment became much quieter.

I know 20khz is not the recommended frequency for high conductors, but it was still picking up a bronze penny at 22 inches, and silver sixpences at 16 to 17 inches.

How the above would work in 'real life' conditions, I don't know.

Hells bells that is deep. I seriously hope that reality intervenes otherwise my detecting day will be over after half a dozen holes! :D
Equinox 800 x2

broadsmaster

Post by broadsmaster » Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:15 pm

detectorman5050 wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:25 pm
I messed about with the Gold 1 setting today in a field, as I have done in the past.

From memory, had it on Gold1, sensitivity 24, iron bias 3, reactivity 3, discrimination blocking everything under 1.

I buried a crusty pre decimal penny about 11-12 inches down, and it was still getting it, but wasn't a very strong signal to be honest. Found tiny silver three pence, and small silver 'Isle of Man' brooch too; however they were not super deep.

My settings were quite noisy, and a bit irritating at times.

I would be interested in others who have tried this mode, and what their findings/settings are.

Thanks.
gold mode is a very sensitive mode and i find when using it that a ground balance helps quieten it down, for comparison what other modes did you try on the buried pre-decimal penny ?
minelab equinox 800

detectorman5050

Post by detectorman5050 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:34 pm

@broadsmaster

I didn't really do much comparison to be honest. Was just trying out the Toddy settings (or as close as I could remember about them.)

I did briefly toggle over to Field 1 my fave mode, and try it on the deep penny, and it was struggling to get it.

I will try 'Gold Mode' again, the next time I am out on a field.

fred

Post by fred » Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:49 am

detectorman5050 wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:34 pm
@broadsmaster

I didn't really do much comparison to be honest. Was just trying out the Toddy settings (or as close as I could remember about them.)

I did briefly toggle over to Field 1 my fave mode, and try it on the deep penny, and it was struggling to get it.

One of the issues with targets at depth with the Nox is recognising the signal as being worth digging in the first place. Shallow stuff up to about a foot is relatively easy but beyond that good signals can sound very 'trashy'. The secret for me was realising that if you hunt with all metal on even very deep large trash is still mostly pretty obvious by the signal shape and size. If you get a small, deep junky signal with even a few positive elements then it is probably worth digging. If you hunt with all metal off there is a fairly abrupt cutoff and you simply won't hear many of the very deep signals. :D

There was a Searcher video testing depths with the large searchcoils a while ago. Have a listen to the sounds at the limits and decide whether you would have dug them? I certainly do now! Also note the importance of getting the swing speed right and not having air between the coil and the ground. :D

Equinox 800 x2

Hairyhands

Post by Hairyhands » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:54 am

fred wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:49 am
detectorman5050 wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:34 pm
@broadsmaster

One of the issues with targets at depth with the Nox is recognising the signal as being worth digging in the first place. Shallow stuff up to about a foot is relatively easy but beyond that good signals can sound very 'trashy'. The secret for me was realising that if you hunt with all metal on even very deep large trash is still mostly pretty obvious by the signal shape and size. If you get a small, deep junky signal with even a few positive elements then it is probably worth digging. If you hunt with all metal off there is a fairly abrupt cutoff and you simply won't hear many of the very deep signals. :D

There was a Searcher video testing depths with the large searchcoils a while ago. Have a listen to the sounds at the limits and decide whether you would have dug them? I certainly do now! Also note the importance of getting the swing speed right and not having air between the coil and the ground. :D

All metal mode is defiantly my preferred setting. Although I have to have a breather on my roman site as it's very noisy. I love it though as I find it easier in all metal mode to find hot spots in a feild. In 6 hours I dug one bit of iron. A very deep plough point.

detectorman5050

Post by detectorman5050 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:07 pm

Out in field again, and tried Gold Mode 1, sensitivity 23/24 (probably too high,) reactivity 5, notched out everything under 6, made sure it was ground balanced, multi frequency, tracking off.

With the above settings I certainly had some surprise finds, and depth. As to how it compared to other modes on the Equinox - I don't know. It was a bit noisy, but I got used to it, and will try it again.

I mentioned earlier in another post using 20khz - this killed off EMI in my house, but it wasn't necessary outside.

I'd say that 'Gold Mode 1' is an acquired taste, and probably most suited to a relatively 'clean field,' but certainly one worth experimenting with!

Paulwray1963

Post by Paulwray1963 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:15 pm

What kHz do you recommend

Bors

Post by Bors » Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:34 pm

In my first 6 monthes of owning the Nox I haven't even tried any other "mode" other than field 1. I`m still tweaking as and when required on different types of fields with such fields inundated with Iron or Clean fields ,or boggy fields even. I think before I even think about swapping around on the different modes I`ll stick to learning Field 1 as I don`t want to confuse myself swapping and changing all the time, It can just become Brain mashing, after all , heck what`s the hurry as I don`t do confusion? :D

mrcheeky

Post by mrcheeky » Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:37 pm

Ive had mine for about 3 months now and i absolutly love it.and getting use to plaing with settings on it of my own choice .although i must say i have had soem great advice on here to .
South London Metal Detector

Pommie Chris.

Post by Pommie Chris. » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:53 pm

I use gold 1 and multi frequency and sensitively as high as you can . Iron bias set to 0, . pommie Chris😎

Easylife

Post by Easylife » Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:16 am

The higher frequencies do hit most targets hard but the lower frequencies are better on certain targets, each has it's place. ::g
Nox 800, 15" coil & Garrett carrot.
White's TDI SL

Return to “Minelab Equinox Forum”