A not so brief guide to the Equinox 800 on land. Field 1. Plus 2 additions

Only for the discussion of the Minelab Equinox series of metal detector within this forum.
mcgold8363

Re: A not so brief guide to the Equinox 800 on land. Field 1. Plus 2 additions

Post by mcgold8363 » Thu May 16, 2019 9:16 pm

Hi Fred or anyone else that has any input, based on the area I am going to be doing next, a grazed pasture that has never been detected before, I noticed in one of my other threads you said there are a few updates from these settings? Would you still say that these are my best bet or would you slightly alter anything for the ground / area I am digging?

Would you recommend that I dig any solid tone I hear, that is solid sound (sweep both ways) no matter what the VDI is saying? Should I be ignoring the grunts of the iron? (-9 to 0)? Only digging over readings of 10 etc. don’t dig anything that jumps about etc.?

I want to go with as much knowledge As possible so I can learn and take note of everything you have advised and put it into practice as I’m going along (obviously I will get better the more I do, hopefully!!) but I want to try and get as much knowledge and learn as much as I can before I set off, again thanks as always.

fred

Post by fred » Thu May 16, 2019 9:43 pm

I would dig all targets except obvious iron until you start to learn the sound/number combinations. I am a fan of digging everything but on some sites it isn't practical. In one location today my poor tired eyes simply wouldnt take looking for any more airgun pellets so I didn't dig targets reading 4-6. :D
Equinox 800 x2

Easylife

Post by Easylife » Thu May 16, 2019 10:54 pm

mcgold8363 wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 9:16 pm
Hi Fred or anyone else that has any input, based on the area I am going to be doing next, a grazed pasture that has never been detected before....
Field 1, Reactivity 4 to start with, Iron bias whatever you prefer though less is better. Dig all good 2 way signals and also some iffy signals as they are likely good also but maybe masked by nearby iron. Small gold can give a target ID of 1 so dig all numbers. In fact just dig it all as that is the best way to learn what your detector is trying to tell you iffy's and all and learn from it. Any minor setting changes are really not generally going to be a game changer as most will still find the majority of targets so don't worry too much about any minor changes. x;
Nox 800, 15" coil & Garrett carrot.
White's TDI SL

onions

Post by onions » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:18 pm

Thanks for posting your settings Fred, my 1st trip out with my 800 will be this weekend. I'm taking my AT Pro as well as I know that pretty well, and can revert to it if I have a meltdown. I have a question about your settings, you say that you reject -9 to 0 (I take it the 0 is inclusive of this), but you use all metal mode. Would using all metal mode cancel out your rejection of -9 to 0 and give you a signal? (albeit a low volume of 1)

I'm just trying to get my brain sorted before I get in the field, as I know it won't go well otherwise.

Thanks a lot in advance

Paul.

Bors

Post by Bors » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:38 pm

onions wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:18 pm
Thanks for posting your settings Fred, my 1st trip out with my 800 will be this weekend. I'm taking my AT Pro as well as I know that pretty well, and can revert to it if I have a meltdown. I have a question about your settings, you say that you reject -9 to 0 (I take it the 0 is inclusive of this), but you use all metal mode. Would using all metal mode cancel out your rejection of -9 to 0 and give you a signal? (albeit a low volume of 1)

I'm just trying to get my brain sorted before I get in the field, as I know it won't go well otherwise.

Thanks a lot in advance

Paul.
Paul, be careful you don`t get into the "overthinking" mode. My advice is,don`t try to know everything too quickly as you`ll confuse yourself when you try and get it all together remembering whats been said. Just put Fred's settings in,and follow his instruction and just go out there and detect.
Sometimes we can run ahead with our selves before we have started and end up forgetting most of it.Don`t overload your brain.
I use much of Freds settings and I too put the All metal mode on (horseshoe) You`ll know if its Iron when it does detect Iron because it will GRUNT, and If it grunts Its Iron, its that simple. Anything else dig it! Get to see what the detectors doing before going in too much diagnostics upon starting.

onions

Post by onions » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:04 pm

Thanks Bors, I know I'll have to walk before I can run. Or maybe crawl before I can walk is more like it. I'll use Fred's settings as he's listed them, I was just trying to understand if there was a conflict on what I flagged. I should be excited about a new detector on a new permission, but I'm a bit apprehensive. That sounds absolute nonsense, but I suppose the more I get out with it, the happier I'll be with using it.

Bors

Post by Bors » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:13 pm

Put it this way I know others can argue about using the All metal facility mode, but that's down to their own liking or disliking. What Fred has suggested WORKS, and when you apply the All metal mode by pressing the Horseshoe, that works, I can assure you because I use it like that and I`ve found next to no Iron since doing that, so I will endorse it works. You can always change those settings a few months down the line when you`ve bedded into using the Nox to some sort of ability and feel your in control of what you're doing.The Important thing to do is just detect ,and enjoy detecting. It really doesn`t matter if you're doing the odd thing wrong or you have a wrong setting now and then running, just get the feel of the detector and the rest will fall into place the more you use the detector. No ones an expert straight from the off.

fred

Post by fred » Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:35 am

Welcome abored Onions. I could only have told you exactly what Bors has said. ::g

You can even just use a straight preset mode if you find it all too much in the beginning. Just try and get the hand of a slow steady swing, once you have that the rest will start to fall into place. :D
Equinox 800 x2

mrcheeky

Post by mrcheeky » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:10 am

Not sure whats going on ugh but 40ghz on the 800 field1 on trashy site is realy working for me x;
South London Metal Detector

onions

Post by onions » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:45 am

I'll be following the settings for my 1st outing, hopefully have something to report after the weekend x;

Ruffers22

Post by Ruffers22 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:36 pm

Hi Fred,

Great read and being new to the hobby can I just say I found your settings seem to work great for me. ::g

I used your settings for the first time last Sunday and really gelled with Nox . I found the signals and tones far easier to interpret.

I was previously using a programme which I came across on Sid's EnglandsHistory YouTube channel.

Now to my point.
I found that watching a video over and over of someone pushing the buttons was a great way of getting my head round the Nox's controls and settings.

So I Just wondered if you have ever considered or would consider uploading a short video showing how you input and set up your Nox as described in this thread/post ?

I'm sure there are an awful lot of people like myself out there who would benefit greatly from a Nox miester like yourself putting out such a video, as sometimes reading a manual or going step by step from a written description can be a little bit like hard work.
:-/ rl;

Thanks again.

fred

Post by fred » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:00 pm

Ruffers22 wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:36 pm
Hi Fred,

Great read and being new to the hobby can I just say I found your settings seem to work great for me. ::g

I used your settings for the first time last Sunday and really gelled with Nox . I found the signals and tones far easier to interpret.

I was previously using a programme which I came across on Sid's EnglandsHistory YouTube channel.

Now to my point.
I found that watching a video over and over of someone pushing the buttons was a great way of getting my head round the Nox's controls and settings.

So I Just wondered if you have ever considered or would consider uploading a short video showing how you input and set up your Nox as described in this thread/post ?

I'm sure there are an awful lot of people like myself out there who would benefit greatly from a Nox miester like yourself putting out such a video, as sometimes reading a manual or going step by step from a written description can be a little bit like hard work.

Thanks again.
Thanks for the compliment but there are already plenty of videos online showing which buttons to press. Fortunately this also neatly sidesteps the slight problem of me being technically challenged. :D
Equinox 800 x2

Ruffers22

Post by Ruffers22 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:59 pm

fred wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:00 pm
Ruffers22 wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:36 pm
Hi Fred,

Now to my point.

Thanks again.
Thanks for the compliment but there are already plenty of videos online showing which buttons to press. Fortunately this also neatly sidesteps the slight problem of me being technically challenged. :D

Hi Fred,

No problem ::g , I just find videos a really good way of learning and they have helped me get to grips with the Nox's controls fairly quickly so I wasn't fazed when trying a new program.

Also I'm sure your not as technically challenged as you make out :))

Cheers Craig

Dom

Post by Dom » Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:29 am

Only just read this, great write up Fred!
I've always gone all metal, as I like hearing everything but it's interesting what you say about losing depth of signals with it off, makes complete sense that items under iron are more likely to be masked.
Equinox 600, GM5+ and a broken Deus Lite :(

ferret

Post by ferret » Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:25 am

Many many thanks to you Fred for a brilliant post, written and explained in a way that is easy to understand, also to all of you for questions and feedback. ;)
Full dues-elliptical, Equinox + 3 coils, Gog Phones.

Return to “Minelab Equinox Forum”