Equinox broken coil lug !

Only for the discussion of the Minelab Equinox series of metal detector within this forum.
holloway

Equinox broken coil lug !

Post by holloway » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:42 pm

Well i suspected it might happen when i first inspected the coil lugs from new.
After a heavy duty session on maize set a side stubble when i new full well i might be asking for trouble i snapped one of the lugs clean off.
Happily i contacted Crawfords were i discovered that they had not sold the machine (i brought it second hand),i posted them the old one and 3 days later recieved a new one in the post ,brilliant after sale service so a big thankyou to Craig and Crawfords.

detectorman5050

Re: Equinox broken coil lug !

Post by detectorman5050 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:03 pm

holloway wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:42 pm
Well i suspected it might happen when i first inspected the coil lugs from new.
After a heavy duty session on maize set a side stubble when i new full well i might be asking for trouble i snapped one of the lugs clean off.
Happily i contacted Crawfords were i discovered that they had not sold the machine (i brought it second hand),i posted them the old one and 3 days later recieved a new one in the post ,brilliant after sale service so a big thankyou to Craig and Crawfords.
That's not so good. Out of curiosity, how do you fit a new coil lug, once it breaks?
Minelab Equinox 800. CTX 3030. Visua Pinpointer.

Junior

Post by Junior » Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:58 am

I assume he ment a new coil woz sent :-/

fred

Post by fred » Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:04 am

How much had the coil been used?

I was very suspicious about how light the lugs looked when I got mine but have had no trouble to date despite seriously heavy use. Nearly a year now! :D
Equinox 800 x2

Roger

Post by Roger » Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:53 am

They are a bit thin an you can see a mold line in the plastic never a sign of strength! However on mine I noticed a fair amount of wear on the inside of the coil lugs where dirt has worked it's way between the stem rubbers an the lugs so I now regularly disassemble an clean. Minelab make professional gold hunting detectors that are built to last but they would say the equinox is a lightweight hobby detector!

holloway

Post by holloway » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:38 am

Fred i would say fairly heavy use although i have never broken a coil before ,to clarify a new coil was sent not repaired.Aparently warranty goes with serial number so is transferable.

fred

Post by fred » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:40 am

Roger wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:53 am
They are a bit thin an you can see a mold line in the plastic never a sign of strength! However on mine I noticed a fair amount of wear on the inside of the coil lugs where dirt has worked it's way between the stem rubbers an the lugs so I now regularly disassemble an clean. Minelab make professional gold hunting detectors that are built to last but they would say the equinox is a lightweight hobby detector!
I found that the supplied tear washers were a bit loose so I used some slightly thicker ones that i had laying around. You could also pack them out a fraction. :D
Equinox 800 x2

ROCK HOPPER

Post by ROCK HOPPER » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:44 am

On reading on the US detecting sites it seems that there was a manufacturing fault on some nox coils possibly because of rushed production because of demand.

Tony Hunt

Post by Tony Hunt » Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:37 am

Could of been but I still say people tighten their bolts too much.

garrettoldboy

Post by garrettoldboy » Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:51 am

hello, that maybe the case Tony but it seems the design and thickness of the coil lug is not ideal hence they are snapping off, in the past i have used a thin plastic plumbing washer to take up any gap or cut out from some thin rubber sheet,

Bors

Post by Bors » Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:51 am

Tony Hunt wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:37 am
Could of been but I still say people tighten their bolts too much.
I agree Tony , some people will certainly over tighten them.
Yes, there will always be the odd coil with a defect in the plastic probably but if ever I get a coil that even with new washers it still feels "not right" I will pack it out with a washer I usually make out of a cut up credit card style piece of plastic.
Their that thin ,they are ideal for the job and quite tough .

As a matter of interest,XP I believe on the Goldmaxx power model Detector , XP purposely made their bolts tensile to a certain measured strength ,so if the bolt was over tightened , the Bolt would snap before the lugs woulds have chance to . The only problem was ,people didn`t understand that when the bolt snapped so they fitted much tougher bolts which then defeated the reason why the original bolts were put on.

holloway

Post by holloway » Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:58 pm

Reading the posts above has made me realise that the detector didnt appear to have any washers fitted maybe that was the problem .

fred

Post by fred » Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:06 pm

holloway wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:58 pm
Reading the posts above has made me realise that the detector didnt appear to have any washers fitted maybe that was the problem .

It might indeed. I dread to think what a stress analysis would show! I think that one might actually count as an own goal. :D

PS Don't forget to fit the washers! ::g
Equinox 800 x2

Roger

Post by Roger » Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:19 pm

The equinox does not come supplied with washers only the pair of tear drop rubbers which fit either side of the plastic moulding at the end of the stem. It should be a nice snug fit between the lugs of the coil, over tightening the bolt will bend the lugs in which probably in time will result in one lug breaking. When the equinox 1000 is released all this will be sorted!!!!!

fred

Post by fred » Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:49 pm

Roger wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:19 pm
The equinox does not come supplied with washers only the pair of tear drop rubbers which fit either side of the plastic moulding at the end of the stem. It should be a nice snug fit between the lugs of the coil, over tightening the bolt will bend the lugs in which probably in time will result in one lug breaking. When the equinox 1000 is released all this will be sorted!!!!!
Sorry, I counted the tear drop shaped things as washers. ::g

I'd much rather that they sort out the rubbish numerical ID system anyway! :D
Equinox 800 x2

Bors

Post by Bors » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:27 pm

Nowt wrong with doing Maize stubble . All you have to have is a Coil that suits the Maize corridors such as a small elliptical or small round coil to maneuver about the stalks . If you go in with a pretty big coil of say 10" or above your bound to find the stalks a nuisance to swing in so a small coil is the easier method .

gazw

Post by gazw » Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:48 am

Mine has just broken as well(new at Christmas), whist i was cleaning it. I never over tighten the coil and certainly never lean on the detector. It has only been used on beaches as well. I have spoken to Crawfords and have returned it to them.

Tekloc8tor

Post by Tekloc8tor » Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:11 am

Well sadly and highly annoyingly, I now have had a third broken coil lug from last weekends detecting on a stubbly but not too bad field. On the second time I was advised that minelab have rectified the problem , but not as far as I can see , the problem is the lugs are painfully thin - that’s it ! My mates garrets Nel Storm coils lugs are twice as thick. I take great pride in my machine and probably spend too much time looking after it, but even when out now I’m paranoid of over doing it. I’m going to take this up with minelab. Dam !!

Bradrick

Post by Bradrick » Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:59 am

That is a bummer and a bit concerning Tek.

Just a personal opinion, but I do think that the body of evidence a little over a year post-launch is pretty evident. Whilst some of it is undoubtedly user-error, the three main issues I have seen following posts on here are: broken lugs, broken arm cup and loose stem locks. Common sense tells me that all of these can be caused by over-tightening, but if you add the occasional bit falling off headphones it is hard to come to any conclusion other than the standard of material used is poor. Of course, some of this can be off-set when considering the sheer volume of these machines in use, and variations in the hours of use. Additionally, I tend to follow threads on other machines and there are other repetitive traits in reports of faults.

The dichotomy with the nox is that it is undoubtedly proven in effectiveness, and it is just a damn great machine to use. As others have pointed out it is plain and simple fun.

I hope that you get it sorted out.

Brad
Equinox 800
Garrett Ace 400i
C-Scope 1220b

“My life has been full of terrible misfortunes most of which never happened.”

Badger1935

Post by Badger1935 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:20 pm

I posted some time ago about my broken coil lug problem,since then my replacement coil has survived OK.I have looked at various posts on many makes of Detector and a predominant theme is how can we make them lighter,perhaps we are contributing to the problem of component failure when manufacturers have to produce lighter detectors to meet our ideals.you can only go so far down that avenue before material strength is compromised.I recently saw a debate of the importance of 50 grams difference in the weight of a carbon shaft.

Bors

Post by Bors » Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:19 pm

Looking at these "broken coil lug and broken arm cup " threads, what I find amazing is some people can use their coils & arm cups from the detectors debut, and they're still working away merrily with no breakages. Both my Coil lugs are fine and my arm cup and I`ve had mine must be 6 months or more now .
Amazingly others can buy a Nox and they can break the coil lugs one after another like one person states he has broken three. This has to be the person and not the coil lugs, and I say this because IF it was the coils lugs or arm cup design having a defect, we`d ALL be breaking them one after another because a defect will be in them all if its from the same design ,and it will happen to everyone's lugs and arm cups, and not the odd few here and there.,so surely it's not Rocket science to work this out that they are either over tightening the bolt or they are repeatedly banging the coil into things as they swing the coil causing the lugs which are under tension anyway, to snap and as far as the arm cups concerned , the mind boggles as to how they break one of those, but clearly some find it easy enough to do. All it takes is just a bit more care required to stop this from happening and treat your detector with the respect it deserves surely at the price it cost.

Now ,where`s that Tin hat gone !? :D

Tony Hunt

Post by Tony Hunt » Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:02 pm

[This is the reason why we have had round CTX style round thicker washers fitted to our new TELE KNOX stem. We had a mould made specially to produce them.

I have long been under the impression that some people have been over tightening their coil bolts. I have used both Equinoxs since they came out and have never cracked or broken the Coil lugs. I still have the same arm rest also thats not cracked or broken. I think some people are just naturally hard on their equipment, I dont molly coddle mine I just use it how it was intended.

hairyharry

Post by hairyharry » Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:03 pm

Hello bors, before the mud slinging gets going😭
Could you just tell all how often you detect.
What I am trying to get to is once a week for 1 person may be 4 times a week for another.
So your 6 months use would equate to 2 years use for another.

Please don't bite me😃, just want to get a prospective on use for this topic.

Btw my lugs are fine👍
Graduated from the XP ADX 250 then the GMP and now on the Deus
Now paired with the Equinox 800

Bradrick

Post by Bradrick » Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:29 pm

Bors wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:19 pm
Looking at these "broken coil lug and broken arm cup " threads, what I find amazing is some people can use their coils & arm cups from the detectors debut, and they're still working away merrily with no breakages. Both my Coil lugs are fine and my arm cup and I`ve had mine must be 6 months or more now .
Amazingly others can buy a Nox and they can break the coil lugs one after another like one person states he has broken three. This has to be the person and not the coil lugs, and I say this because IF it was the coils lugs or arm cup design having a defect, we`d ALL be breaking them one after another because a defect will be in them all if its from the same design ,and it will happen to everyone's lugs and arm cups, and not the odd few here and there.,so surely it's not Rocket science to work this out that they are either over tightening the bolt or they are repeatedly banging the coil into things as they swing the coil causing the lugs which are under tension anyway, to snap and as far as the arm cups concerned , the mind boggles as to how they break one of those, but clearly some find it easy enough to do. All it takes is just a bit more care required to stop this from happening and treat your detector with the respect it deserves surely at the price it cost.

Now ,where`s that Tin hat gone !? :D
I don't dispute the over-tightening point for a moment Bors, and I've made the point myself. The comment you made in another thread about tightening the arm-cup strap to close it up too much is also valid (especially if the central fitting screw is over-tightened anyway). However, it can be a bit of both. I've had my nox for over a year and I've had no problems with the stem, the arm-cup, or any of the three coils, (although a piece of thin plastic did break and fall off the headphones, but instantly replaced by the vendor).

Tony says that he doesn't 'molly coddle' his machine, but to be fair I probably do. I have neoprene covers and the 'phones are kept in the case. I am wary of making 'absolute' statements though when these faults are reported, as I could easily suffer the same on the next visit... no matter how much care.

Overall, I think I am being persuaded that despite being a magnificent performer the build/material is not as robust as many of the other detectors I've used. Only time will tell I guess (but I wouldn't part with it).
Equinox 800
Garrett Ace 400i
C-Scope 1220b

“My life has been full of terrible misfortunes most of which never happened.”

Bors

Post by Bors » Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:42 pm

Thank you for the question but surely more than how many times you use a detector the main
fact is It's down to taking care of your machine and treating it with a good degree of respect as you probably have done with no breakages, so do that and you have to be in with a good shot of no breakages. Too many people are too quick to blame their tools rather than accept they're just not taking the necessary care they should be taking.
There has been mention of guys throwing them around in the backs of their vans and treating them with a lot less respect and nothing happening to the lugs or cups, but that is not an endorsement to the mistreatment, but more of an endorsement to the lugs and arm cups, showing how much the lugs and arm cups are "not defective" until someone over tightens or does whatever to cause the arm cups to break. Like I said It's just a case of treating things right and not being Mr sausage fingers. Of course some people will get offended by confronting them with their "mistakes" and whats the first thing they blame," the detector ", and of course, it CANNOT be them, so then in their embarrasment, they snarl at the person questioning their methods.

And yes SuperRed, I too Look after my detectors to a high degree ,why? Because it would cost me money NOT to do so , at the moment most coils are under warranty but that's only for 2 yrs, after that, its pay as you destroy.. ::g

Return to “Minelab Equinox Forum”