Trying my new Nox 800-Pinpointing

Only for the discussion of the Minelab Equinox series of metal detector within this forum.
JeffW663

Trying my new Nox 800-Pinpointing

Post by JeffW663 » Tue May 21, 2019 9:34 pm

So here we are with the new detector, having assembled it, charged it up it was time to try it in the garden.
Set it up as suggested on this forum and away we went, well, went as far as inserting, iron screw, ring pull, copper wire and silver cuff-link under the turf, in a clean area, very pleased with the results, all on 'all metal' no problem with locating each type of item with good signals.
Now for the pinpointing, I have read that this machine is not good at this but for me and my machine under these controlled parameters, i.e. knowing where they were, I found the the centre pinpointed was between the cable outlet of the coil and the central boss/joint of the shaft and coil, now if it remains there in the field ? I hope that it may work the same way, or does anyone have thoughts on this please ??

Guppy

Re: Trying my new Nox 800-Pinpointing

Post by Guppy » Tue May 21, 2019 11:06 pm

I've found that pinpointing works well on a coin buried horizontally at about 4", now tip the coin vertically and bury it at 6"+, and pinpointing is not so accurate.

Easylife

Post by Easylife » Tue May 21, 2019 11:48 pm

In real life with all detectors the pin-pointing can be thrown out by nearby iron, an odd shaped target, or a target laying at an angle. ::g
Nox 800, 15" coil & Garrett carrot.
White's TDI SL

fred

Post by fred » Wed May 22, 2019 2:05 am

I am sure that you will be fine with the Nox.

Most signals are fairly straightforward and will pinpoint exactly as you describe. As you get used to the machine you will become able to recognise the deeper signals that may require a little extra care with the pinpointing or the extraction.

Best of luck and do let us know how you get on with it. ::g
Equinox 800 x2

SuperRed

Post by SuperRed » Wed May 22, 2019 10:37 am

JeffW663 wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 9:34 pm
So here we are with the new detector, having assembled it, charged it up it was time to try it in the garden.
Set it up as suggested on this forum and away we went, well, went as far as inserting, iron screw, ring pull, copper wire and silver cuff-link under the turf, in a clean area, very pleased with the results, all on 'all metal' no problem with locating each type of item with good signals.
Now for the pinpointing, I have read that this machine is not good at this but for me and my machine under these controlled parameters, i.e. knowing where they were, I found the the centre pinpointed was between the cable outlet of the coil and the central boss/joint of the shaft and coil, now if it remains there in the field ? I hope that it may work the same way, or does anyone have thoughts on this please ??
I think that a bit too much is made of the pinpointing abilities of a machine and I wouldn't worry too much about it. The 'wiggle' method usually puts you pretty much over the target for the size of the hole that you are going to dig anyway, and if you have a hand-held pinpointer you will still locate it. Finding the target in the first place is more important, and the nox certainly does that.

Brad
Brad

Equinox 800
Garrett Ace 400i
C-Scope 1220b

“My life has been full of terrible misfortunes most of which never happened.”
"It doesn't matter what you do, just do something: Don't just kill time whilst time is killing you"

Ten pence!

Post by Ten pence! » Wed May 22, 2019 11:06 am

The target will be in the middle of the coil if the object is shallow, go past say five inches and it could be anywhere! You might get lucky every now and then and the target comes out in the plug but often the sidewall is where it is hiding.

The Equinox clearly has a problem here as countless asks on many forums will confirm, it's very poor compared to the two other machines I also use, my way round it is to dig bigger holes and have the handheld pinpointer at the ready!

Return to “Minelab Equinox Forum”