Does the Nox 600 need a charger, or anything else?

Only for the discussion of the Minelab Equinox series of metal detector within this forum.
Easylife

Re: Does the Nox 600 need a charger, or anything else?

Post by Easylife » Fri May 24, 2019 12:56 am

The open back design headphones give you the best of both worlds without isolating you from outside noises.That's why I use the XP blue back-phones. ::g

Nox 800, 15" coil & Garrett carrot.
White's TDI SL

Ladybird66

Post by Ladybird66 » Fri May 24, 2019 1:23 am

To answer your original question, YES it the 600 does come with all the charging bits. Pic attached.

You can charge direct from the mains, the fastest way, or from a computer, takes ages.
If you really want to be up to date, buy a mains socket with a USB port in it. We bought 2 doubles from Screwfix, cost was ridiculously low.

In answer to the question about the speaker using more power, I’m sure I read somewhere that it does but have no idea how much difference it makes. In my opinion the headphones that came in the box where not worth using. Plus they are plug-ins. The detector has BlueTooth built in. I had some good quality ones from the previous detector so use them. No more wires, great.

HH
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Saffron

Post by Saffron » Fri May 24, 2019 1:24 am

Easylife wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 12:56 am
The open back design headphones give you the best of both worlds without isolating you from outside noises.That's why I use the XP blue back-phones. ::g
Thanks for that, I was not aware of them but will investigate.

Does anybody have any recommenfations for these that work with the Nox?.

Evan

SuperRed

Post by SuperRed » Fri May 24, 2019 1:53 pm

Just a little addendum re the value of a control box cover: just saw a post from someone on FB who is "gutted" by a scratch across the screen. he said that it went right through the supplied screen protector. Just food for thought.

Brad
Brad

Equinox 800
Garrett Ace 400i
C-Scope 1220b

“My life has been full of terrible misfortunes most of which never happened.”
"It doesn't matter what you do, just do something: Don't just kill time whilst time is killing you"

Easylife

Post by Easylife » Fri May 24, 2019 8:31 pm

Saffron wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 1:24 am
Easylife wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 12:56 am
Thanks for that, I was not aware of them but will investigate.

Does anybody have any recommenfations for these that work with the Nox?.

Evan
They do, with the WM08 unit. ::g
White's TDI SL

sgoody1

Post by sgoody1 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:26 pm

Bors wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 8:13 pm
sgoody1 wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 7:55 pm
littleboot wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 6:42 pm
I charge mine with a samsung thingummy. No problem. And, as long as you steer clear of having the backlight on, I find a charge lasts for the whole day and well beyond.
Thanks - on that point, so far, I haven't used headphones - I like to feel I can hear what else is going on around me.

So with the Nox, if I use its speakers - does that effect the battery usage much more than using headphones - and off so, will I still get 5 hours+ ?

Again I know its user preference, but!! I` strongly urge you to buy a pair of headphones and preferably dedicated headphones for detectors, and use headphones. Actually, its the LAST thing you need to hear is what's going on around you, including the Wind blowing in your lug holes.
I know you probably feel you don`t need headphones but you`d be very surprised at what Whisper target sounds you`ll certainly miss if you don`t use them. The hearing range is often way beyond your realization and I`ve proved to mates in the past who thought as you do, that they didn`t need headphones. The Deeeep whisper of a thin hammered coin sound can give just a scratch of a sound that you`d almost certainly miss without a good pair of Detector headphones. You could, of course, miss it if you didn`t recognize it with headphones on, but if it means the difference of finding a rare hammered with headphones on or not finding it without headphones which would you choose? And It CAN come down to that.
Thanks for all this help.

The Nox 600 comes with the worst headphones ever.
They dont sit properly on my head (and I think my head is a fairly normal shape), they are really plasticky (spellcheck can't find the right spelling for that word), and they stick out, and feel cheap.

So what are the alternatives that are recommended?

I have some bluetooth wireless Sony WF1000X ear-buds - but understand they might nowt work due to the latency issues.

I have headphones that came with some kind of iPod - but you suggest I should go for specific detecting headphones.

What is the difference - and are there any you would recommend?

And on the issue of Whisper signals - what kind of reading does that give out?
I am using the Park 1 setting, and doing the noise cancel, and thats it - ~I am then only digging if I get a signal that is above say 15?
Sensitivity set at 20.
Any advice - I have so far only been out with the Nox for a few hours, and found a fair few things with it, so pretty happy, but I do want to try and find a Hammy!

Bors

Post by Bors » Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:20 pm

u;@ u;@ I would buy a set of genuine Nox ones the type that comes with the 800, you often see them on a well known Auction site,& often "unused" sometimes.
I was a bit apprehensive about them before I got mine (with the Nox) but! since using them, I think they are very good and adequate for their purpose. ::g

Ten pence!

Post by Ten pence! » Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:36 pm

sgoody1 wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:26 pm
Bors wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 8:13 pm
sgoody1 wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 7:55 pm

Thanks - on that point, so far, I haven't used headphones - I like to feel I can hear what else is going on around me.

So with the Nox, if I use its speakers - does that effect the battery usage much more than using headphones - and off so, will I still get 5 hours+ ?

Again I know its user preference, but!! I` strongly urge you to buy a pair of headphones and preferably dedicated headphones for detectors, and use headphones. Actually, its the LAST thing you need to hear is what's going on around you, including the Wind blowing in your lug holes.
I know you probably feel you don`t need headphones but you`d be very surprised at what Whisper target sounds you`ll certainly miss if you don`t use them. The hearing range is often way beyond your realization and I`ve proved to mates in the past who thought as you do, that they didn`t need headphones. The Deeeep whisper of a thin hammered coin sound can give just a scratch of a sound that you`d almost certainly miss without a good pair of Detector headphones. You could, of course, miss it if you didn`t recognize it with headphones on, but if it means the difference of finding a rare hammered with headphones on or not finding it without headphones which would you choose? And It CAN come down to that.
Thanks for all this help.

The Nox 600 comes with the worst headphones ever.
They dont sit properly on my head (and I think my head is a fairly normal shape), they are really plasticky (spellcheck can't find the right spelling for that word), and they stick out, and feel cheap.

So what are the alternatives that are recommended?

I have some bluetooth wireless Sony WF1000X ear-buds - but understand they might nowt work due to the latency issues.

I have headphones that came with some kind of iPod - but you suggest I should go for specific detecting headphones.

What is the difference - and are there any you would recommend?

And on the issue of Whisper signals - what kind of reading does that give out?
I am using the Park 1 setting, and doing the noise cancel, and thats it - ~I am then only digging if I get a signal that is above say 15?
Sensitivity set at 20.
Any advice - I have so far only been out with the Nox for a few hours, and found a fair few things with it, so pretty happy, but I do want to try and find a Hammy!

Yes the headphones supplied with the 600 are pretty low quality and would not last very long out in the wilds. I checked those earbuds you mentioned and they appear to be Bluetooth version 4.1, as I understand it these have a lag of around 100ms which you may or may not find acceptable, since I've had my 600 I've been using a set of Sennheiser CX BT 6.0 earbuds these are LL 4.2 (low latency) and have a lag of 32ms, I'm mega sensitive to lag but cannot detect any on these, the sounds are also superior to all my corded headphones.

sgoody1

Post by sgoody1 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:08 pm

Thanks for the above -
I may buy a set of bluetooth headphones, once I establish if I like wearing headphones.
Given I cant even face going out wearing the supplied ones with the 600 - will any set of plug in headphones do the job - or do they need to be a certain type?

Easylife

Post by Easylife » Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:33 pm

sgoody1 wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:08 pm
Thanks for the above -
I may buy a set of bluetooth headphones, once I establish if I like wearing headphones.
Given I cant even face going out wearing the supplied ones with the 600 - will any set of plug in headphones do the job - or do they need to be a certain type?
Pretty much any should be fine for trying out, but with the back phones you barely notice that you're wearing them. ::g
White's TDI SL

sgoody1

Post by sgoody1 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:35 am

Easylife wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:33 pm
sgoody1 wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:08 pm
Thanks for the above -
Pretty much any should be fine for trying out, but with the back phones you barely notice that you're wearing them. ::g
Whats a Back Phone?

sgoody1

Post by sgoody1 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:37 am

I have just looked those up - and I actually have a pair that are almost identical - I will try those tomorrow.

sgoody1

Post by sgoody1 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:39 am

What about the issue of what signals to dig?
Can anyone advise on what you ignore - given there was a suggestion that one might dig for even a whisper of a signal?

Saffron

Post by Saffron » Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:12 am

sgoody1 wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:39 am
Can anyone advise on what you ignore - given there was a suggestion that one might dig for even a whisper of a signal?
You said earlier about only digging TIDs of 15 and above, initially untill you know the sounds I would dig all positive numbers - there can be some good targets in single digits. I only ignore the lower positive numbers when on a beach with a lot of foil and aluminium.

When a target is deep the amchine is often able to detect it but not get a reliable TID so you will hear the faint sound but get no target displayed on the screen. Once you know the sounds you will know which of these to dig or leave.

Evan

Easylife

Post by Easylife » Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:42 am

sgoody1 wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:39 am
Just ignore obvious iron and dig everything else. Smaller good items will likely come in at the lower target numbers such as small gold and small buckles for example. Foil does too, so it's your own choice of your target cut off point if any? I normally dig any repeatable positive number from about 3 up depending upon the site knowing that It will not see the very smallest gold but I can live with that as it will still detect what I mostly seek. ::g
White's TDI SL

Dangerous Norman

Post by Dangerous Norman » Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:14 am

My first silver hammered came in at ID 9 on the 800, had some other good items with ID in single digit number.

As for headphones, I find using the WM08 module with wired headphones is the best option (600 owners don't get the WM08) and the very short latency delay means pinpointing is more accurate as for me it was always off even with the 800's low latency phones.

sgoody1

Post by sgoody1 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:14 am

Dangerous Norman wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:14 am
My first silver hammered came in at ID 9 on the 800, had some other good items with ID in single digit number.

As for headphones, I find using the WM08 module with wired headphones is the best option (600 owners don't get the WM08) and the very short latency delay means pinpointing is more accurate as for me it was always off even with the 800's low latency phones.
Thanks - so when I use Park 1 - should I also hit the Horseshoe button to allow all metal? At the moment - I just leave it in the factory setting other than also doing the noise cancel, with sensitivity at 20.

Return to “Minelab Equinox Forum”