"Minelab wiggle" for the Equinox

Only for the discussion of the Minelab Equinox series of metal detector within this forum.
LuckyB

"Minelab wiggle" for the Equinox

Post by LuckyB » Wed May 29, 2019 3:59 pm

Can anyone point me to a good video or provide a detailed description of the Minelab wiggle using an Equinox?

I've seen a few references to it and had a look at a couple of videos but I'm still not sure what the real intention is behind it.

Does it even work/or is useful with the Equinox and is it intended for pinpointing or for getting target separation? or both?

Thanks in advance!

Pete E

Re: "Minelab wiggle" for the Equinox

Post by Pete E » Wed May 29, 2019 5:14 pm

LuckyB wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 3:59 pm
Can anyone point me to a good video or provide a detailed description of the Minelab wiggle using an Equinox?

I've seen a few references to it and had a look at a couple of videos but I'm still not sure what the real intention is behind it.

Does it even work/or is useful with the Equinox and is it intended for pinpointing or for getting target separation? or both?

Thanks in advance!
Try searching for it on YouTube or searching for “pinpointing with metal detector”...Despite it’s name it’s just a way of zeroing in on a target by sweeping the detector in smaller decreasing swings until you are over it and works with pretty much any machine. Another way is to make a cross over the target noting where the strongest signal is for each “arm”...where the arms cross should be over the target...that’s probably a poor explanation, but once you see it the penny will drop....
Makro Racer 2
Makro Pinpointer
August EP650 Wireless headphones
TaoTronics Wireless Portable Transmitter, (Bluetooth 4.1, aptX Low Latency)

Lowland

Post by Lowland » Wed May 29, 2019 5:38 pm

Pete E wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 5:14 pm
LuckyB wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 3:59 pm

Thanks in advance!
Try searching for it on YouTube or searching for “pinpointing with metal detector”...Despite it’s name it’s just a way of zeroing in on a target by sweeping the detector in smaller decreasing swings until you are over it and works with pretty much any machine. Another way is to make a cross over the target noting where the strongest signal is for each “arm”...where the arms cross should be over the target...that’s probably a poor explanation, but once you see it the penny will drop....
Dammit I’ve been wiggling my backside :D
Shiny equinox600- taped up spade-dodgy elbow
.....................deeper bliss......................

Fusion

Post by Fusion » Wed May 29, 2019 6:25 pm

I'm not sure about the "it works on most machines" advice. It presumably got it's name because it was found to work on Minelab's BBS machines. On most machines, a smooth even sweep over the target from at least 30cm / 1 foot either side of the target will give best results. This allows the machines ground-filtering electronics the best opportunity to function.

fred

Post by fred » Wed May 29, 2019 6:45 pm

I use it just to stop me having to go for a walk to use the right angle method every time I get a signal. You are basically standing still and moving the detector from side to side and foreward and backwards in a smooth movement until you lock onto the signal. Simples! :D
Equinox 800 x2

littleboot

Post by littleboot » Wed May 29, 2019 8:54 pm

Fusion wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 6:25 pm
I'm not sure about the "it works on most machines" advice. It presumably got it's name because it was found to work on Minelab's BBS machines. On most machines, a smooth even sweep over the target from at least 30cm / 1 foot either side of the target will give best results. This allows the machines ground-filtering electronics the best opportunity to function.
Well I did it all the time with the GMP. A quick waggle was by far the best way of locking on to a target, even though I initially would hear them with a slow sweep. So no, I did not find the method you describe the most effective for locking on and pinpointing with the GMP. I obviously now use the same waggle dance method with the Equinox and it works exactly the same IMO.
Equinox 600, GMP, wellies.

Wigeon

Post by Wigeon » Wed May 29, 2019 9:12 pm

This clip shows the method reasonably well.
Minelab E-Trac. XP Goldmaxx power v4. Garret carrot. Evolution spade.

LuckyB

Post by LuckyB » Thu May 30, 2019 11:26 am

Thanks wigeon, that's what I was after ::

Bradrick

Post by Bradrick » Thu May 30, 2019 12:21 pm

Yes, that video is a decent example. I tend to use the 'wiggle' mostly, but I have read a number of posts on here stating that the built-in pin pointer is slightly to the left/right, etc. My question is: Does it matter? I still use it occasionally and surely once you know where it is on your particular machine that is all you need to know?
Equinox 800
Garrett Ace 400i
C-Scope 1220b

“My life has been full of terrible misfortunes most of which never happened.”

fred

Post by fred » Thu May 30, 2019 4:04 pm

SuperRed wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 12:21 pm
Yes, that video is a decent example. I tend to use the 'wiggle' mostly, but I have read a number of posts on here stating that the built-in pin pointer is slightly to the left/right, etc. My question is: Does it matter? I still use it occasionally and surely once you know where it is on your particular machine that is all you need to know?
The built in pointer works fine but I really don't see the point of using it. It's just another operation to slow you down. I very occasionally end up using it to pinpoint very deep iron if it's being problematic. :D
Equinox 800 x2

Bradrick

Post by Bradrick » Thu May 30, 2019 4:18 pm

fred wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 4:04 pm
SuperRed wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 12:21 pm
The built in pointer works fine but I really don't see the point of using it. It's just another operation to slow you down. I very occasionally end up using it to pinpoint very deep iron if it's being problematic. :D
True Fred. I use the 'wiggle/waggle/shuffle' myself and I wasn't criticising the method. Rather a response to some of the posts on here and FB where people were complaining that the pin pointer is off-centre. My point being that as long as you identify where it is it shouldn't matter.
Equinox 800
Garrett Ace 400i
C-Scope 1220b

“My life has been full of terrible misfortunes most of which never happened.”

Return to “Minelab Equinox Forum”