Metal armrest for Equinox??

Only for the discussion of the Minelab Equinox series of metal detector within this forum.
dirtdigger1

Metal armrest for Equinox??

Post by dirtdigger1 » Thu May 30, 2019 1:31 pm

I'm sick of my plastic Equinox armrest breaking.

Yes, it's go warranty, but still costs me £4.50 to send it off to the dealer each time it breaks.

So, i'm really looking for help here guys, does anyone know of a metal armrest that will fit the Equinox without having to modify it?

cheers
Matt

Easylife

Re: Metal armrest for Equinox??

Post by Easylife » Thu May 30, 2019 1:39 pm

dirtdigger1 wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 1:31 pm
What are you doing to keep breaking it? x;
Nox 800, 15" coil & Garrett carrot.
White's TDI SL

fred

Post by fred » Thu May 30, 2019 4:11 pm

I don't think that this is a particularly common problem.

I'd get somebody to watch your technique just in case it is something you are doing rather than multiple manufacturing faults. If you don't sort out why they are breaking getting an unbreakable armrest may simply transfer the problem to another, perhaps less easily replaceable, part of the machine. :D
Equinox 800 x2

bazzerhut

Post by bazzerhut » Thu May 30, 2019 4:47 pm

I too am surprised that you're repeatedly breaking the cuff, but I do find it a rather weak point in the design. It's quite flimsy in construction, and Minelab have given it such an unnecessarily generous radius that it tends to flop to and fro on the arm with each reversal of swing direction.

Maybe it's their way of persuading us to slow down our swing speed (definitely a good idea with this detector in particular), and there certainly shouldn't be any abrupt jerking at the end of each swing, but matters aren't helped by the overall ergonomics (underslung shaft and induced torque).

I keep meaning to take a heat gun to the cuff on my 800 to make it a little snugger, but never seem to get around to it.

Barry
Equinox 800 / XP Deus

"We have left undug those things which we ought to have dug; And we have dug those things which we ought not to have dug; And there is no wealth in us."

Spanish digger

Post by Spanish digger » Thu May 30, 2019 5:54 pm

Broke mind twice.if your putting the hours(500+).in wed sand an water.it will break. Mike

Rivers rat

Post by Rivers rat » Thu May 30, 2019 6:07 pm

Just my 2 cents the best for me is the arm cup of the old XP it is bullet proof,so good I bought some extras to be buried with them B-) :-O

RR
Owner of a Foster PI one of the Enlightened few
Tools of the trade as of 2019: Lobos/Tejon/Silver sabre/GMP/Deus/1266X/F75DST/Xterra 705/ctx 3030/Goldscan g5c/Goldbug pro

WVAM

Post by WVAM » Thu May 30, 2019 6:13 pm

dirtdigger1 wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 1:31 pm

So, i'm really looking for help here guys, does anyone know of a metal armrest that will fit the Equinox without having to modify it?
If you can find someone who has one have a look at a T2 or F75 arm cup. It would need a small mod - couple of holes and remove your cup but it's metal, can be squeezed or stretched depending on what you are wearing, fits snug and weighs 165g. The two thumb bolts would probably double as spare coil bolts (not checked).

Just a thought.

simon brown

Post by simon brown » Thu May 30, 2019 6:53 pm

Manage to crack my armrest found a bit of 4” drain pipe was the same radius so just glued it to the inside of the cup seams as good as new and a lot more rigid

Ten pence!

Post by Ten pence! » Thu May 30, 2019 8:21 pm

Yes, what were the circumstances that caused it to break?

That said the Nox is not the usual lardy built like a tank Minelab and is rather anorexic by comparison, I witnessed a broken coil ear at a rally last year, unsurprising really as it's owner was using the machine as leaning post whilst digging!

Ten pence!

Post by Ten pence! » Thu May 30, 2019 8:29 pm

bazzerhut wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 4:47 pm
I too am surprised that you're repeatedly breaking the cuff, but I do find it a rather weak point in the design. It's quite flimsy in construction, and Minelab have given it such an unnecessarily generous radius that it tends to flop to and fro on the arm with each reversal of swing direction.

Maybe it's their way of persuading us to slow down our swing speed (definitely a good idea with this detector in particular), and there certainly shouldn't be any abrupt jerking at the end of each swing, but matters aren't helped by the overall ergonomics (underslung shaft and induced torque).

I keep meaning to take a heat gun to the cuff on my 800 to make it a little snugger, but never seem to get around to it.

Barry
It is loose in the summer when you have a bare arm so just tighten the velcro strap, in the winter however, and when I've got my cold weather outfit on, it seems to fit my arm very well!

On other machines I have also used stick on neoprene rubber sheet that can purchased from an online auction site, it comes in various thicknesses and can be cut to a precise fit.

bazzerhut

Post by bazzerhut » Thu May 30, 2019 8:36 pm

Ten pence! wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 8:29 pm
It is loose in the summer when you have a bare arm so just tighten the velcro strap

Nah, I never use those straps, they're too much nuisance - I'll just profile the cuff to a proper bespoke radius. The neoprene sheeting would be a nifty way of padding it out a bit for the warmer months, though - thanks for the tip.

Barry
Equinox 800 / XP Deus

"We have left undug those things which we ought to have dug; And we have dug those things which we ought not to have dug; And there is no wealth in us."

Ten pence!

Post by Ten pence! » Thu May 30, 2019 11:12 pm

bazzerhut wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 8:36 pm
Ten pence! wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 8:29 pm
It is loose in the summer when you have a bare arm so just tighten the velcro strap

Nah, I never use those straps, they're too much nuisance - I'll just profile the cuff to a proper bespoke radius. The neoprene sheeting would be a nifty way of padding it out a bit for the warmer months, though - thanks for the tip.

Barry
I quite like to be strapped in so to speak, that way you do not need to grip the handle very tight and it transfers the strain and most of the effort to your forearm, I hate the machine being a loose fit! :))

Easylife

Post by Easylife » Fri May 31, 2019 12:07 am

I hadn't noticed that the Nox armrest was 'oversize' before as I have decent size forearms, though this prompted me to take a closer look and have now slightly modified it with a firm pad on one side for a more snug fit. I would never use the arm strap on such a light machine as it would be a PITA with regular digging.
White's TDI SL

bazzerhut

Post by bazzerhut » Fri May 31, 2019 12:15 am

Ten pence! wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 11:12 pm
I quite like to be strapped in so to speak, that way you do not need to grip the handle very tight and it transfers the strain and most of the effort to your forearm, I hate the machine being a loose fit! :))

Yes, I quite like that feeling of security too, but I find the strap just gets in the way when I have to put the detector down and pick it up again. (And the Equinox begs so many digs that this needs to be a very quick and easy manoeuvre.)

Barry
Equinox 800 / XP Deus

bazzerhut

Post by bazzerhut » Fri May 31, 2019 12:33 am

By the way, since we're on the subject of the Equinox's thoroughly sucky ergonomics, I found its balance was hugely improved by inserting about six ounces of lead inside the top tube.

There's exactly the right amount of space for this in the uppermost portion above the arm-cuff, at least on the Detecnicks carbon fibre shaft. I happened to find a suitable cylindrical weight of precisely the right calibre in my lead bucket, and while it may seem perverse to add weight to something that's been designed to be as light as possible, this has made things a whole lot easier on the arm and shoulder. For me at least, good balance is far more important than raw weight.

Barry
Equinox 800 / XP Deus

Easylife

Post by Easylife » Fri May 31, 2019 12:43 am

bazzerhut wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 12:33 am
By the way, since we're on the subject of the Equinox's thoroughly sucky ergonomics, I found its balance was hugely improved by inserting about six ounces of lead inside the top tube.

There's exactly the right amount of space for this in the uppermost portion above the arm-cuff, at least on the Detecnicks carbon fibre shaft. I happened to find a suitable cylindrical weight of precisely the right calibre in my lead bucket, and while it may seem perverse to add weight to something that's been designed to be as light as possible, this has made things a whole lot easier on the arm and shoulder. For me at least, good balance is far more important than raw weight.

Barry
Well yes, it's kind of a logical solution, even more so with the heavier 15" coil but I've never tried it in practice, though probably should? :D
White's TDI SL

bazzerhut

Post by bazzerhut » Fri May 31, 2019 12:47 am

Easylife wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 12:43 am
Well yes, it's kind of a logical solution, even more so with the heavier 15" coil but I've never tried it in practice, though probably should? :D

Give it a go? It's entirely uncommitting, and easily and quickly reversed or adjusted.

Barry
Equinox 800 / XP Deus

Bors

Post by Bors » Fri May 31, 2019 8:09 am

Isn`t this talk about " the Equinox's thoroughly sucky ergonomics " down to a Personal assessment rather than an overall agreed FACT?

All I can say is I `ve never had a problem with the Nox`s ergonomics myself. I`ve found it acceptable without concern for it to be needing altering. I may choose to look to make the Nox as light as I possibly can over time, but that`s not to say I find the present weight heavy now even, actually far from it.
When I hear what's been talked about, I think of "heavy" as what the 3030 or the Etrac is. Those are 5lbs +heavy and even more with bigger coils put on!
But ergonomically as the Nox stands, I don`t see a problem with it.
Of course, when you attach a big coil like the 15" on the end ,now I can see that changing the ergonomics of it, but that would apply to most detectors that you stick a much bigger coil on, other than the standard coil, so your going to expect the balance to change for the worst doing that .

Going back to the original point, I think if you're not using an arm cup "strap" that would the possible reason the cups for you Dirtdigger1(Matt) are breaking. As your swinging, the arm up is constantly being stressed by the loose back and two arm movement against the sides of the cup, and if you're really going for it with a forced swing against foliage or such, the pressure on the sides of the arm cup is upped dramatically without the support of the arm cup strap hence capitulation. Pushing against a force by a force will always cause a backlash against a weak point in any made structure, so the lack of an arm cup strap will cause the weak point to become the "arm cup" in that scenario. It could be your using the strap but having it too tight even, who knows?
And with the greatest respect Matt, I also would say that this sentence alone by Matt ,......" I'm sick of my plastic Equinox armrest breaking",
Sort of explains in itself that it's you, under the title of " user error" that's the fault .
If it was a one-off break I`d give you the benefit of the doubt but constantly is hmmmmm.
Last edited by Bors on Fri May 31, 2019 8:51 am, edited 4 times in total.

Dave8472

Post by Dave8472 » Fri May 31, 2019 8:33 am

I did read somewhere that some may have been over tightened on putting together that may have lead to it breaking easier ? I have dropped mine a couple of times from resting on the spade and it has been fine. I found it way to floppy so got one of those arm rest covers and its been fine now. I like to be strapped in to =))

I think the ML Terra X metal arm cup is supposed to fit ? Sure I have read that somewhere to

There are some homemade ones on eBay

Dave ):=
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Minelab CTX3030 : 17", 11", 6" Coils
Minelab Equinox 800 : 15", 11" Coils
XP Deus V3.2 - WS5 : 9" Coil
Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Garmin eTrex 20 GPS

Bors

Post by Bors » Fri May 31, 2019 8:41 am

If anyone is that concerned they could always find anyone who does metalwork as a hobby and can get one made up out of Duralumin or failing to have access to that, even use Aluminium. I`m sure anyone who does know of a Metalwork business near them could get one made if they were that bothered.

SuperRed

Post by SuperRed » Fri May 31, 2019 8:51 am

I think that Bors has a point about the stress placed on the arm cup when swinging, but I also feel that some people over-tighten the fixings (coil, cup, etc), especially when modifying or changing frequently.

Having said that, I definitely feel that the nox is less robust than other detectors I’ve used. I would guess that Minelab may say that they have used the materials to achieve the low weight, rather than penny-pinch, but others can conclude on that.

My first critique of the nox was the width of the arm cup. I also prefer to ‘strap in’.

I purchased a neoprene cup cover from an established UK dealership for just a few pounds and to address the balance I simply fixed the holster of my carrot behind the cup. It works a treat. The cup not only fits my forearm nicely (especially when sleeveless), but it also makes it much more comfy to use.
armcup.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Brad

Equinox 800
Garrett Ace 400i
C-Scope 1220b

“My life has been full of terrible misfortunes most of which never happened.”
"It doesn't matter what you do, just do something: Don't just kill time whilst time is killing you"

Bors

Post by Bors » Fri May 31, 2019 8:56 am

Just out of pure interest,I think it might be worth asking Dirtdigger1 where exactly the arm cup keeps breaking? Is it the same place all the time or is it various breaking points?

bazzerhut

Post by bazzerhut » Fri May 31, 2019 11:33 am

Bors wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 8:09 am
Isn`t this talk about " the Equinox's thoroughly sucky ergonomics " down to a Personal assessment rather than an overall agreed FACT?
Of course.

Bors wrote:
All I can say is I `ve never had a problem with the Nox`s ergonomics myself.
Good. But some of us find otherwise.

Barry
Equinox 800 / XP Deus

Luke Grey

Post by Luke Grey » Fri May 31, 2019 10:22 pm

Hi all,

I’m not taking any sides here. Just posting what I was told.

When I bought my Nox it was explained clearly about the cuff.

My Nox has been awfully treated by me, thrown in van,use it as a stand for spade whilst doing other stuff etc.

Mines never broke, as it was pointed out to me when I bought it.

You can take the disclaimer both ways I suppose.
EBBED817-AE49-43F6-A891-0E6F3394F7DB.jpeg

bazzerhut

Post by bazzerhut » Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:15 am

Luke Grey wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 10:22 pm

Wow. It's quite telling that a reseller feels the need to issue such a warning, but I'm not really surprised that people are assuming they should cinch the strap that way to constrict the cuff, since it's so broad. Maybe Minelab are bound under the US Constitution to ensure that it will accommodate even the largest forearm, since being morbidly obese is of course a perfectly valid lifestyle choice to be respected.

Barry (a morbidly skinny geezer)
Equinox 800 / XP Deus

dirtdigger1

Post by dirtdigger1 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:22 pm

Spanish digger wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 5:54 pm
Broke mind twice.if your putting the hours(500+).in wed sand an water.it will break. Mike
Exactly - what he said!

Nowt wrong with my swing.

Ordered one from Ukraine...all metal design.

Matt

dirtdigger1

Post by dirtdigger1 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:26 pm

Bors wrote:

Sort of explains in itself that it's you, under the title of " user error" that's the fault .
If it was a one-off break I`d give you the benefit of the doubt but constantly is hmmmmm.
Dude, I ain't no newbie and it's not user error.

It's called hundreds of hours of use.

Myself, i've not had any problem with coil ears breaking, like a lot of people and i've not had wobbly shaft problems, like HUNDREDS of people.

Matt

dirtdigger1

Post by dirtdigger1 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:29 pm

Luke Grey wrote:
Hi all,

My Nox has been awfully treated by me, thrown in van,use it as a stand for spade whilst doing other stuff etc.

LOL..nice post dude.

Hey, BORS, did you read that mate?

Matt

Ten pence!

Post by Ten pence! » Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:22 am

Luke Grey wrote:
Hi all,

This appears to be a bit of a get out clause! ::g

Alternative version, we've made the arm cup a bit shoddy in comparison to other makes you may have used, if you use it as intended it may break!!!!!!!!!!!

Bors

Post by Bors » Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:52 am

I agree u;@ Over all we know you're not supposed to pull the strap "tight" enough to bend the arm cup wings in! Who are THEY attempting to educate ,Chimps ?
And If you do resort to doing that, then your obviously asking for trouble.Same applies to Coil Lugs.

Return to “Minelab Equinox Forum”