Equinox performance on fresh ploughed ground?

Only for the discussion of the Minelab Equinox series of metal detector within this forum.
Zyrbalax

Equinox performance on fresh ploughed ground?

Post by Zyrbalax » Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:51 pm

Hi all,

Currently using a Safari, which from my own experience and as reported by others just doesn’t like recently churned up ground (lots of falsing).

I’m thinking about upgrading to the Equinox, and wondered whether being another Minelab machine it suffered similarly on recently ploughed ground, or has that “feature” been resolved in the Nox?

Many thanks
Z

Minelab Safari

"There's treasure everywhere!" (Calvin & Hobbes / Watterson)

Best find 2019: Robert III of Bethune - Alost Penny 1305-1322

fred

Re: Equinox performance on fresh ploughed ground?

Post by fred » Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:55 pm

Zyrbalax wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:51 pm
Hi all,

Currently using a Safari, which from my own experience and as reported by others just doesn’t like recently churned up ground (lots of falsing).

I’m thinking about upgrading to the Equinox, and wondered whether being another Minelab machine it suffered similarly on recently ploughed ground, or has that “feature” been resolved in the Nox?

Many thanks
Z

In my experience dead stable and surprisingly deep in dry and aerated ground! Not at all like previous Minelabs. :D
Equinox 800 x2

Zyrbalax

Post by Zyrbalax » Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:32 pm

Thanks Fred ::g

Is there anything you’d say is a problem for the Nox? Anything you don’t like about it?

Z
Minelab Safari

"There's treasure everywhere!" (Calvin & Hobbes / Watterson)

Best find 2019: Robert III of Bethune - Alost Penny 1305-1322

Mancave-man

Post by Mancave-man » Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:43 pm

Only been on one ploughed field with my Equinox 800 and found it to be noisier than on pasture. Mate found 15 coins on the day with his Deus and I found 2. Don't know if that helps but I do like the Equinox on pasture. Finds even the smallest items. Tiny little bits of lead etc. Can be a bit of a pain looking for them but if you want to find the good stuff you also have to dig those tiny signals.
Good luck with your decision. You won't be disappointed if you get an Equinox. ::g

littleboot

Post by littleboot » Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:00 pm

The reality is that freshly ploughed will be more challenging whatever machine you swing. That is because the air pockets big and small really do mean that signals are not picked up.....in much the same way as a signal can go AWOL in the loose stuff at the bottom of a hole.
Certainly the Nox is affected by these conditions but, it has to be said, not unduly so.
I am always a tad impatient when my land is ploughed...not without reason as I want to extract freshly turned up finds before they get obliterated with Monsanto. However, a deep plough can really rip deep crevasses into the land and that means a lot of targets are just not within the scope of a swing.
Even if its well rolled it can still feel like you are walking on memory-foam. Better to wait till its had a few rains on it.
The Nox is an excellent machine. Nimble, responsive, adaptable in the field, and most of all immense fun.
Best machine I have ever owned by quite a distance. ::g
Equinox 600, GMP, wellies.

Bargeman

Post by Bargeman » Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:37 pm

Zyrbalax wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:32 pm

Is there anything you’d say is a problem for the Nox?
Z

My only complaint is not enough time to enjoy it x; :D ::g

BM [:)

Walk that line, torn apart
spend your whole life trying.
Ride that train, free your heart,
it's midnight up in Harlem.

Midnight in Harlem, Tedeschi Trucks Band

fred

Post by fred » Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:05 pm

Zyrbalax wrote:

Is there anything you’d say is a problem for the Nox? Anything you don’t like about it?

Z

The numerical target ID is too coarse to be of much use. I know lots of us dig almost everything anyway but I was spoiled by the CTX. :D
Equinox 800 x2

Ten pence!

Post by Ten pence! » Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:42 pm

I cannot recall any problems using an Explorer on ploughed fields back in the day (not much internet then to compare notes!) but with deep ploughing and a very up and down surface you'll often have a very large air gap between the bottom of the coil and the ground, I've not found my Nox to be any better or any worse than the other machines I regularly use in this respect.

fred

Post by fred » Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:05 am

littleboot wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:00 pm
The reality is that freshly ploughed will be more challenging whatever machine you swing. That is because the air pockets big and small really do mean that signals are not picked up.....in much the same way as a signal can go AWOL in the loose stuff at the bottom of a hole.
Certainly the Nox is affected by these conditions but, it has to be said, not unduly so.
I am always a tad impatient when my land is ploughed...not without reason as I want to extract freshly turned up finds before they get obliterated with Monsanto. However, a deep plough can really rip deep crevasses into the land and that means a lot of targets are just not within the scope of a swing.
Even if its well rolled it can still feel like you are walking on memory-foam. Better to wait till its had a few rains on it.
The Nox is an excellent machine. Nimble, responsive, adaptable in the field, and most of all immense fun.
Best machine I have ever owned by quite a distance. ::g

I am so glad that you mentioned that the Nox is 'fun' Jan. ::g

Virtually my first impression of it was how much fun it was to use. The Nox certainly finds stuff, as most half decent modern detectors will but even after 18 months, and regardless of what I have found, I still finish every session thinking 'that was great, I can't wait to do it again'. For me that makes it quite a special machine. :D
Equinox 800 x2

Metalmickey2359

Post by Metalmickey2359 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:48 am

fred wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:05 am

I am so glad that you mentioned that the Nox is 'fun' Jan. ::g

Virtually my first impression of it was how much fun it was to use. The Nox certainly finds stuff, as most half decent modern detectors will but even after 18 months, and regardless of what I have found, I still finish every session thinking 'that was great, I can't wait to do it again'. For me that makes it quite a special machine. :D
The Nox 800 is new to me and, as a beginner, it's a fun, steep learning curve. Although I have found some items of interest I am getting some cracking signals which once dug out, have ben mainly crushed aluminium drinks cans. ;;z These have all been at 5 to 7 inches in depth almost without exception. The real hum-dinger of a ringing target I had, showed around 32 on the numbers and once I got down to, found it to be a robust old bicycle bell. In fact most of my older finds have been at that depth which has me thinking that my park like permission has been levelled with some imported soil!

Does anyone know what the going price per tonne of aluminium is at the moment!?

Mike
Mike

Nox 800 x2 (won one)
Carrot

Ten pence!

Post by Ten pence! » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:42 pm

Scrap ali is about 70p a kilo at the moment, you are better off collecting copper and brass, "mixed brass" is £2.60 a kilo! :))

Easylife

Post by Easylife » Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:41 pm

Ten pence! wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:42 pm
"mixed brass" is £2.60 a kilo! :))
I know, but I was robbed last time and only got £2.00/kg. I will pre negotiate next time. Still, £120 covers the fuel. :)) ::g
Nox 800, 15" coil & Garrett carrot.
White's TDI SL

bazzerhut

Post by bazzerhut » Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:55 am

Zyrbalax wrote:

It's doing my knees a great unkindness by making me dig so many holes. Life was much more leisurely in my Deus days.

I do sometimes get a bit exasperated by its insistence that I chase every tiny cluster of three or four non-ferrous molecules at ridiculous depths, but it inspires great confidence that I'm not going to miss any goodies, be they ever so small.

Barry
Equinox 800 / XP Deus

"We have left undug those things which we ought to have dug; And we have dug those things which we ought not to have dug; And there is no wealth in us."

garrettoldboy

Post by garrettoldboy » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:54 am

hello, a lot of detectors will give false signals on fresh ploughed fields better once rolled and damp, my C scope m6 did this, littleboots description is spot on,

Mugwamp

Post by Mugwamp » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:52 pm

Having only recently bought the Nox 800 I have only one gripe and that is about how uncomfortable I found the handle. When holding the handle whilst in use I found my hand riding up the grip until the top edge of my hand was rubbing against the control box base and this eventually made my hand quite sore. I have since knocked up a cheap mod by creating a foam stop at the top of the handle and after 4 hours in the field today had no problem at all. I think it's a brilliant machine. Just my take on it guys.

Return to “Minelab Equinox Forum”