New Carbon Fibre collapsible shaft for the Nox

Only for the discussion of the Minelab Equinox series of metal detector within this forum.
Bors

Re: New Carbon Fibre collapsible shaft for the Nox

Post by Bors » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:22 am

The collapsible shaft probably has three draws to it, without doubt, it`s lighter than the original, but it's not a lb lighter, just a few grams or ounces whichever.
Its draw feature in the main I should say will be the collapsible part of it. The other, and least thing is ,the "novelty" side to it, we all love a new gizmo don`t we.
Its different by being collapsible which as already been mentioned is only relative if you would like that to be the main reason to buy this shaft. I do feel it will be beneficial to me so that plus the even lighter part of it is enough to have made me get one, and so far I do like it, but I haven't detected with it yet so we`ll see.
If you feel you're not bothered about the collapsible part, or a bit lighter then maybe it's not worth it to those who aren't bothered about it being collapsible or lighter. But hey ho, It`s the old adage of "horses for courses". :D
Last edited by Bors on Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bors

Post by Bors » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:12 am

Tony has informed me that the weight difference between the two shafts is 200gms lighter .

Ten pence!

Post by Ten pence! » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:32 am

Saffron wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:12 am
Ten pence! wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:05 pm
I'll answer my own question! :))

Someone over on another forum (who did have a wobbler!) did some weighing, upper shaft 90g, middle 106g, and lower with nylon bolt and two rubber washers 108g, total 304g.
Ten pence, some times thats the quickest way to get an answer :))

However, in fairness much higher up the thread in a "half answer" to my question about the weight Oxgirl had said that this carbon fibre shaft was 300g. ::g

But my question was "What is the weight of the carbon shaft?, (I could not see it on the link) and how much lighter is this than the standard shaft?."

I am even willing to do the maths to work out the difference if somebody could say what the original shaft weighs please.

Evan
I think you've misunderstood me! The total weight of the ORIGINAL shaft is 304g the information came from the US Findmall forum, therefore there is virtually no weight saving, it seems that the early Equinox's suffered from "shaft wobble" and broken camlocks, hence the Stateside interest in alternatives, my own machine has been fine in this respect but the anodizing is very thin and if I was into beach detecting and wading about in salt water I'd dump the ali shaft as the salt would make short work of the anodizing.

Bors

Post by Bors » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:46 am

I`ve just weighed my original shaft and I got it to 300.03 gms. I cannot be bothered to take the Coil, the arm cup and the Control handle off the new shaft now I`ve assembled it as its too much messing about ,when all we have to do is get someone who buys a new collapsible shaft to weigh theirs. ::g

onions

Post by onions » Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:22 am

There is another thread running regarding a collapsible shaft, and it says the weight saving is 200g. I hope someone in the know can clear this up!
Happy hunting peeps

Bors

Post by Bors » Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:13 pm

Quote easeylife,...." or maybe just like the bling look of them? "

I think if truth be known there`s a big element of precisement in that as well Ian . :D
But that`s not a bad thing.

fred

Post by fred » Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:24 pm

The way that the coil is fitted to the stem is different too. It used a CTX type round washer rather than the rubber tear washer. I think that this is likely to hold the coil a bit better. I will give the new setup a swing on the beach this evening. ::g
Equinox 800 x2

Easylife

Post by Easylife » Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:17 pm

Certain other 2-section carbon shafts for the Nox weigh 162g and 176g. The standard stem is claimed to weigh 279g. So as this one is a 3-section shaft It's logical to assume that it will actually weigh about 200g, still a slight weight saving though. ::g
Nox 800, 15" coil & Garrett carrot.
White's TDI SL

Ten pence!

Post by Ten pence! » Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:36 pm

Easylife wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:17 pm
Certain other 2-section carbon shafts for the Nox weigh 162g and 176g. The standard stem is claimed to weigh 279g. So as this one is a 3-section shaft It's logical to assume that it will actually weigh about 200g, still a slight weight saving though. ::g

After checking the weight of carbon fibre tube v aluminium tube I'd say you'd get a weight saving of around 20-22% substituting like for like, however the aftermarket one appears to have substantially bigger tube clamping devices to hold it all together, the stock clamps are clearly less bulky and more streamlined, this is the most likely reason stock and aftermarket tubess weigh roughly the same, buy if you like the looks and most likely better durability but don't expect noticeable weight reduction....................

Bors

Post by Bors » Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:38 pm

Like I said the main difference is in its ability to collapse down in itself. The bonus is there`s a weight reduction, and there`s the appearance, added bonus that Carbon fibre is more attractive to have than an aluminium shaft. So we have three positives & pluses there out of three.
It`s either going to appeal to you or it`s not.......C'est la vie

Iron Mask

Post by Iron Mask » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:20 pm

Hello
I have designed this shaft. The original shaft with armrest weighs 407 grams. The prototype shaft I weighed with the armrest is 295 grams but the production one is shorter than the prototype so it is possibly around 200 grams. I don't have a production one to weigh.
Thanks for any feedback.

Ten pence!

Post by Ten pence! » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:36 pm

Is that weight excluding the clamps? These are clearly much larger than the stock cam lock type variants that are very minimal indeed, and someone has already weighed one of your nicely made shafts and reckons it weighs around 300g complete? :-/

I have some 22x1.2mm carbon fibre pole here that we sometimes use at work and it weighs 130g per metre, checking the Eural website the very similar 22x1mm dural tubing (as on the Nox) comes in at 178g per metre, unless the new clamps are as light or even lighter than the stock ones I cannot see where the 100g has been lost from?

Iron Mask

Post by Iron Mask » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:58 pm

Hello
The feedback I just received puts the original complete set up at 1350 grams
and the Tele Knox complete set-up at 1230 grams.
Complete set-up ( machine, standard coil, armrest, locks, etc.)
So 120 grams lighter.

Easylife

Post by Easylife » Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:27 am

Iron Mask wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:58 pm
Hello
The feedback I just received puts the original complete set up at 1350 grams
and the Tele Knox complete set-up at 1230 grams.
Complete set-up ( machine, standard coil, armrest, locks, etc.)
So 120 grams lighter.
Well Scotty, that is quite a difference from the near double 200 grams lighter that Tony claimed it to be? It looks a great product that you have designed and will no doubt sell well. ::g
Just lucky that you weren't on Dragons den when they asked for any weight figures? =))
White's TDI SL

Spectra

Post by Spectra » Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:11 am

Looking for some advice on the Tele Knox telescopic shaft folks ,
Now that it’s been out a while and seen some use are problems repeating themselves ,
Got mine 2 days ago , after one session lower camlock came clean off shaft , seen other designs
on other Branded shafts and some have 2 allenkey type bolts on them rather than what looks like
A thin resin or nothing at all to keep camlock in shaft , also the thin ridge inside lower camlock isn’t holding firm to groov in shaft looks way to narrow and isn’t as thick nor pronounced as upper camlock, hence movement left and right and eventually falling off ,
Also wouldn’t recommend this to anyone above 5 ,8 as it’s way to small , go for the bigger lower shaft version save you the upgrade later , from reviews some flame that it the same size as standard
Coil due to Arm cup slotted back further , no chance , If you don’t swing close your losing a lot of inches out there , and swinging like a newbie ,
Would like to hear honest reviews after a few months use please
as I would rather nip this in the bud and contact supplier for full refund this week than have a fix
The same thing happens a few months down the line
Thanks for any replies advice

Easylife

Post by Easylife » Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:39 am

Gee this old thread has resurfaced again where the sellers had initially claimed double of the actual weight saving! Well I'm 6' and the shaft is okay lengthwise until it starts to wobble to alert you that the shaft is about to fall out. x;
Last edited by Easylife on Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
White's TDI SL

Badger1935

Post by Badger1935 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:50 am

I have had the Tele-Knox shaft since it was first released.Apart from a few minor adjustments to the locking clamps I have found it to be a first Class idea if you want a collapsible shaft system.What I find amazing is the number of people whose only concern seems to be how many grams it is lighter.do we really notice 100gms spread over the length of the shaft,does it really matter.

Bushwacker

Post by Bushwacker » Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:01 pm

I have been using the teleknox for 2 months, every weekend inc. detectival. I have had no problems whatsoever and think it is a first class piece of kit. I am 6'3" and had the sense (as with most detectors I have had including a deus) to buy the longer bottom extension. When I ordered from Tony he kindly swapped the long one for the shorter one before sending...(cost the same) I have since bought a 15in coil and another longer bottom piece at detectival (brilliant deal by crawfords) for quick changing.
As far as I am concerned the carbon shaft makes the machine more rigid and has no wobble whatsoever. It took me a trip out to get the lock nuts at the correct tension but I always carry the allen keys with my kit incase.

Return to “Minelab Equinox Forum”