NEW - TELE KNOX Minelab Equinox Carbon Fibre Telescopic Stem

Only for the discussion of the Minelab Equinox series of metal detector within this forum.
Iron Mask

Re: NEW - TELE KNOX Minelab Equinox Carbon Fibre Telescopic Stem

Post by Iron Mask » Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:05 pm

Hello
Posted this in the other thread as well.
The feedback I just received puts the original complete set up at 1350 grams
and the Tele Knox complete set-up at 1230 grams.
Complete set-up ( machine, standard coil, armrest, locks, etc.)
So 120 grams lighter.

Saffron

Post by Saffron » Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:36 pm

mrix wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:25 pm
Easylife wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:16 pm
Sorry but I'm quite skeptical of that claim also. Could you please clarify the actual weight of the shaft?

Hello I rang Tony this morning and he confirmed it to be 200grams lighter, maybe fred or bors can weight theirs to confirm this ?
I will be having a thorough inspection of these shafts next Monday / Tuesday ::g
Thanks
mrix
Blackadder43 wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:50 pm
I have just taken one for the team and stripped down my Nox 800 and weighed the shaft for ya!
295 grams
Mine is the original shaft for the record and comes in at 295 grams

(video clip removed).

Sorry folks but ......

Above mrix has confirmed that the carbon fibre telescopic shaft is "200grams lighter", a statement that others have made.

Above Blackadder43 confirmed that the orinal shaft was 295grams, others have also said 300 (which I will use as very easy maths).

So this means the new telespic shaft is only 100grams in weight (300 - 200).
That is only 3 1/2oz for in old school terms.
Which is even less than the weight of a lot of the fish I catch!.

I am far from convinced that this is correct as it seems too light.

I suspect that the problem is that people are weighing different things. x; x;

I believe that some are weighing the shafts and levers, clamps, nuts, bolts, and washers (all of these might be different weights to the original). While others are weighing just the shafts.

I think I will wait for mrix to get the new shaft and try, and weigh including all the required bits I listed above, and compare that with the orginal shaft and bits.

Evan

fred

Post by fred » Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:35 am

Saffron wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:36 pm
mrix wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:25 pm
Easylife wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:16 pm
Sorry but I'm quite skeptical of that claim also. Could you please clarify the actual weight of the shaft?

Hello I rang Tony this morning and he confirmed it to be 200grams lighter, maybe fred or bors can weight theirs to confirm this ?
I will be having a thorough inspection of these shafts next Monday / Tuesday ::g
Thanks
mrix
Blackadder43 wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:50 pm
I have just taken one for the team and stripped down my Nox 800 and weighed the shaft for ya!
295 grams
Mine is the original shaft for the record and comes in at 295 grams

(video clip removed).

Sorry folks but ......

Above mrix has confirmed that the carbon fibre telescopic shaft is "200grams lighter", a statement that others have made.

Above Blackadder43 confirmed that the orinal shaft was 295grams, others have also said 300 (which I will use as very easy maths).

So this means the new telespic shaft is only 100grams in weight (300 - 200).
That is only 3 1/2oz for in old school terms.
Which is even less than the weight of a lot of the fish I catch!.

I am far from convinced that this is correct as it seems too light.

I suspect that the problem is that people are weighing different things. x; x;

I believe that some are weighing the shafts and levers, clamps, nuts, bolts, and washers (all of these might be different weights to the original). While others are weighing just the shafts.

I think I will wait for mrix to get the new shaft and try, and weigh including all the required bits I listed above, and compare that with the orginal shaft and bits.

Evan

It really is very light indeed. :D
Equinox 800 x2

Easylife

Post by Easylife » Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:20 am

Gee this just shows how bored we all are, what a response this topic has received on both threads while we're waiting for the rain to soften up the ground so many of us can get out.
It seems that the designer nor the sellers even know the weight of their product, but surely that is a key selling point worthy of a mention at least?
So just to add another weight related fact to this saga, on his FB page Tony stated that his Nox with a 15” coil but with a shorter prototype shaft weighed 1385 grams, my same set up with the standard coil weighs 1509 grams so that calculates to the new shaft being 124 grams lighter, but it was originally made too short so there will be less of a saving now. I completely agree with BA that anybody selling a product should know the full specs of it, and especially if they have designed it. I'm sure it's a great product and wouldn't completely rule out getting one myself at some stage, but as weight saving is such a key selling point these days it's not exactly rocket science to get the specs right upon launch guys, or is it? x;
Last edited by Easylife on Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nox 800, 15" coil & Garrett carrot.
White's TDI SL

Bors

Post by Bors » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:44 am

Let's say for argument's sake it's ended up 100gms lighter now. That for me is fine! It's lighter, and that's what counts. It`s made something already light, LIGHTER still.
The fact it now compacts down to a mere 24" is another big advantage for me.
Plus it looks nicer in Carbon Fibre if that counts for anything at all.

A possible impending problem no ones mentioned up to now is, when you lighten the shaft or the control box etc, "OVER a certain amount ", it can then accentuate the weight of the coil,
" giving the feeling of " BOTTOM HEAVINESS to the coil. So, we have to be aware that you can only
go so far in reducing the weight before you can possibly end up causing problems in another way ,which you didn`t have before.
Adding as well as taking can become problemental if overdone either way. My thoughts are, the new CF shaft Iron Mask has designed, is just about right, and as far as I`m concerned, I like it, and what anyone else `s view on it is, is irrelevant to me , as long as I`m happy with it. ::g

Tony Hunt

Post by Tony Hunt » Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:50 pm

With a witness in my shop I weighed my two Equinox 800s, The old original ( cleaned and spruced up) against the brand new 800 I had just put together with the new Tele Knox Red / Black version, both with 11" coils on. I weighed each one three times and each time my parcel scales said the new one was 200 grammes lighter. Whats 200 grammes, a fifth of a bag of sugar. Cant understand what al the fuss is about especially after I gave all MDF members the chance to buy one with a 5% discount which is 5% more than even my own website customers are getting. At the moment I have sold one stem on the MDF as against dozens and dozens on my own site. Its up to you guys to take advantage while its there, Enjoy the new Telescopic stem, its a brilliant design from Scott Ellis and put together well by the factory in China. We have even given everybody a free bag of spare parts inc washers, clamp screws, clamp levers in two colours, plus two Allen keys.

Bors

Post by Bors » Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:02 pm

Well said Tony, It just goes to show that the saying ,.....you can please some of the people some of the time ,but you can`t please all of the people all of the time ,is still alive and kicking.
You could have given a dozen chicken eggs away with it free, and you STILL would have got the quibbling about it. :))
Last edited by Bors on Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tony Hunt

Post by Tony Hunt » Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:21 pm

When we get the new Equinox secondary battery unit thats going to fit under the armrest I would imagine the whole unit is going to balance brilliantly making even the 15" coil feel better.
The Battery unit is hopefully only a month away.
You are going to ask me what this is all about. Joe Cooper at RNB-Innovations has design and built a second battery unit that will sit under the armrest, fixed one end by the armrest screw, the other end by a spring clip. The battery is identical to the one Minelab uses on the Equinox so double the power available. It will be connected by your charging cable twisted around the handle and then into the magnetic charging port on the control box.
Using the new usb cable Joe will be providing to plug into the back of his battery you will charge both batteries up at the same time. There will be a series of LCD lights on the side of his battery pack indicating whats charging, which battery is being used and the state of the charge left.
The new battery pack will take over as the Primary battery pack always being used first before switching to the Onboard Minelab pack. This will mean that the Minelab original pack will last a lot longer before needing to be replaced in the handle.
I think this is going to be a very useful addition to the Equinox, especially for people who like to go to 3-4 day rallies. The new battery pack joe claims will be very water resistant but he wont claim its completely waterproof for obvious reasons.
Price you ask ? We are going to try and keep it cheap and under £50. MDF members are the first to get all the details from me. Once joes final testing is finished and he is happy with it it will be going into production full blast and available once again on this forums Auction and store sites.

fred

Post by fred » Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:25 pm

Bors wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:02 pm
Well said Tony, It just goes to show that the saying ,.....you can please some of the people some of the time ,but you can`t please all of the people all of the time ,is still alive and kicking.
You could have given a dozen chicken eggs away with it free, and you STILL would have got moans and quibbling about it. :))

I swung it around with the stock coil for 3 hours last night and it seemed very light indeed. The weight distribution is a little different but not unpleasantly so. Also the coil was held firm and did not flatten like it does with the stock shaft.. I am presuming that the red areas indicate the limit of the extension of each part of the stem? :D I will do a proper writeup on it after I have a few more sessions under my belt. The weather is a bit miserable so I'm not sure when I will get out next though. ::g
Equinox 800 x2

mrcheeky

Post by mrcheeky » Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:01 pm

be great to use if the nox had a wireless coil

Bors

Post by Bors » Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:35 pm

mrcheeky wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:01 pm
be great to use if the nox had a wireless coil
The only trouble with that is MORE replacement battery shenanigans when the battery eventually dies. Given the choice right now I think I`m happy with the Status Quo.
::g

mrcheeky

Post by mrcheeky » Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:00 pm

yes mate im tempted to get 1 they look pretty cool

dirtdigger1

Post by dirtdigger1 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:20 pm

Guys....my father is 81 years old.

He has the stock Equinox shaft and the 15" coil and he can swing on the beach for 5 hours with no problems whatsoever.....so I think stressing out about whether the telescopic shaft is 100g lighter or 200g lighter is a bit nuts!

The fact is, in my opinion the shaft is lighter, looks stunning, zero wobble and being telescopic is amazing!!

If i had the money id buy one right now!!

This shaft is a game changer.

Before this telescopic shaft came out, there were sooo many others....pluggers, detected, anderson, cmd and stacks of others...none were telescopic.

I used to think...how do i choose???

Now, it's simple...when i get the cash its gonna be this telescopic one!!

Matt.

THE MOLE

Post by THE MOLE » Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:50 pm

cant see what all the fuss is about the weight, if it was heavier then fine something to moan about.
if its the same or less weight then that's a bonus, to me the point is do you want a collapsible shaft or don't you :-/
Just using the Force Image

Bors

Post by Bors » Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:43 pm

THE MOLE wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:50 pm
cant see what all the fuss is about the weight, if it was heavier then fine something to moan about.
if its the same or less weight then that's a bonus, to me the point is do you want a collapsible shaft or don't you :-/
Sometimes, we take BT`s advice........ "It`s good to talk" :))

detectorman5050

Post by detectorman5050 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:57 pm

This is embarrasing but I seem to have temporarily 'lost the plot.' Trying to put my Tele Nox shaft together, and have a few questions.

Where is the hole in the shaft for the control box? I can only see one hole as marked (for the armrest.)

Also, I've now got 2 brackets. Obviously one is for the bottom of the control box, what is the other one for!?

Sorry for being incredibly stupid - I am not normally like this (honest.)

Minelab Equinox 800. CTX 3030. Intey Pinpointer.

detectorman5050

Post by detectorman5050 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:16 pm

Apologies, this is now sorted. I've realised that one of the 2 brackets came with the tele nox shaft, and there is no need for a control box hole, as it fits into a groove on the bottom of the shaft.

Doh!

x;
Minelab Equinox 800. CTX 3030. Intey Pinpointer.

Bors

Post by Bors » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:18 pm

Pull the second shaft out further (middle shaft) which will expose the hole to then attach your arm cup. Its the middle shaft thats still too far in stopping you from being able to attach it, just pull it and you`ll see the red part go in enough.! ::g
You probably (like me and Fred) have to use a rat tailed file to make the hole slightly bigger as some and mine and Freds were two of them ,that the holes hadn`t been made big enough. Do NOT try to drill it though, just gently ream the hole with a rat-tailed file ,until the hole becomes bigger.
trust me it will go in by doing that.

fred

Post by fred » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:22 pm

Bors wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:18 pm
Pull the second shaft out further (middle shaft) which will expose the hole to then attach your arm cup. Its the middle shaft thats still too far in stopping you from being able to attach it, just pull it and you`ll see the red part go in enough.! ::g
You probably (like me and Fred) have to use a rat tailed file to make the hole slightly bigger as some and mine and Freds were two of them ,that the holes hadn`t been made big enough. Do NOT try to drill it though, just gently ream the hole with a rat-tailed file ,until the hole becomes bigger.
trust me it will go in by doing that.

I just turned a 9mm file held in my hand for more control rather than use it on a drill. ::g
Equinox 800 x2

Easylife

Post by Easylife » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:44 am

fred wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:22 pm
Bors wrote:
You probably (like me and Fred) have to use a rat tailed file to make the hole slightly bigger as some and mine and Freds were two of them ,that the holes hadn't been made big enough.
I just turned a 9mm file held in my hand for more control rather than use it on a drill. ::g
That doesn't sound very good at all, but maybe it was just a bad batch? x;
So are the holes undersize or just need finishing better?
It's no wonder that there's a fiver off. :)) But seriously, I'd ask for the seller to check the item before posting to save having to modify it yourself. ::g
Nox 800, 15" coil & Garrett carrot.
White's TDI SL

Bors

Post by Bors » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:41 am

Easylife wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:44 am
fred wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:22 pm
Bors wrote:
You probably (like me and Fred) have to use a rat tailed file to make the hole slightly bigger as some and mine and Freds were two of them ,that the holes hadn't been made big enough.
That doesn't sound very good at all, but maybe it was just a bad batch? x;
So are the holes undersize or just need finishing better?
It's no wonder that there's a fiver off. :)) But seriously, I'd ask for the seller to check the item before posting to save having to modify it yourself. ::g
I`d say it was just a rouge batch because Tony said his fitted Ok.
The hole in the CF shaft was definitely too small because I compared the two shafts side by side
and there was a definite size difference.
The 5% is only off if you buy the CF shaft set up from MDF , I bought mine direct so paid the full retail price. Tony`s aware of the undersize hole now so I would assume he`s checking them before they go out now. ::g

mrix
Founder

Post by mrix » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:16 am

Hello all, there was a slight hole size issue this is true but this has now been resolved, many people who had this issue and it was not everyone simply used something like a piece of sandpaper to open the hole very slightly ::g
When a New product is released you can often have issues like this unfortunately.

Having just spoken to our dealer he has assured me the issue has now be resolved and there will not be any problems with the present stock or any future batches ::g B-)

As mentioned the 5% Discount is only from the MDFShop ::g

Thanks all
mrix

SuperRed

Post by SuperRed » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:41 am

I think that this shaft looks like a good innovation... especially if reducing the length for transportation is important to you. I much prefer the stem locks to the supplied ones. The weight difference isn't really an issue for me, but the only reason I haven't bought one is that I prefer to have the covers on my stems and the clamps wouldn't allow that.

Big companies are reluctant to develop these little additions for financial reasons, so all hobbies rely upon innovative small outfits to offer these. I don't thing a teething problem such as the size of the hole is anything to quibble about... especially as easily rectified (and Tony would probably sort it for you if you are nervous about doing it).

Brad
Brad

Equinox 800
Garrett Ace 400i
C-Scope 1220b

“My life has been full of terrible misfortunes most of which never happened.”
"It doesn't matter what you do, just do something: Don't just kill time whilst time is killing you"

Bors

Post by Bors » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:14 am

SuperRed wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:41 am
I think that this shaft looks like a good innovation... especially if reducing the length for transportation is important to you. I much prefer the stem locks to the supplied ones. The weight difference isn't really an issue for me, but the only reason I haven't bought one is that I prefer to have the covers on my stems and the clamps wouldn't allow that.

Big companies are reluctant to develop these little additions for financial reasons, so all hobbies rely upon innovative small outfits to offer these. I don't thing a teething problem such as the size of the hole is anything to quibble about... especially as easily rectified (and Tony would probably sort it for you if you are nervous about doing it).

Brad
Oh , I quite agree with you. it wasn`t any big deal, just a minor annoyance. But it was quickly & easily rectified.
I think the new CF shafts really well worth getting, and it looks good as in nice `n neat when collapsed & hanging up .

Tony Hunt

Post by Tony Hunt » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:10 pm

There will be no more problems with the hole size. I have drilled out all my remaining stock to 9.0mm. Some of them were barely a Gnats whisker too small it seemed some were slightly more or less, lol. Nothing a bit of a rub with a knife blade or grit paper didnt quickly solve. All the ones coming from China from now on will be correct size.
I got some really nice screen graphics coming any day to go over the buttons which will include the settings in English also in easier to read. They will be sold in pairs and will let you cut off minelabs foreign languages and just put the plain bit on to mach up We got them coming in red/black or a nice grey. Will put them on MDF auction site when they turn up. Price will be a pair of either colour for £9.50 to include postage and vat. They look really cool.

Dangerous Norman

Post by Dangerous Norman » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:33 pm

After several days thinking about this I've made my mind up and purchased one from the MDF shop. Just wondering what the delivery time is as nothing mentioned in the email, anyone know?

mrix
Founder

Post by mrix » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:51 pm

Dangerous Norman wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:33 pm
After several days thinking about this I've made my mind up and purchased one from the MDF shop. Just wondering what the delivery time is as nothing mentioned in the email, anyone know?

Obviously depending on the time of day purchased Delivery is normally very quick and normally next working ::g

Thanks
mrix

Devonboy

Post by Devonboy » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:38 pm

Dangerous Norman wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:33 pm
Yes delivery is fairly quick, I ordered one on Sunday and it was delivered on Tuesday.
Nice bit of kit.

Tony

Return to “Minelab Equinox Forum”