nox settings

Only for the discussion of the Minelab Equinox series of metal detector within this forum.
ebo2fast

nox settings

Post by ebo2fast » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:14 pm

hi guys
just a quick post to say ive had someone i know rang me up to tell me im better off using
iron bias on 0 . He is telling me im missing coins because ive set my 600 on iron bias 2 or 3 .
What are youre comments on this.
kind regards ian

nox 600 ::g

MPower

Re: nox settings

Post by MPower » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:15 pm

I guess it just depends on the land your on, and how much junk is under the surface. Think you'll gain a bit in depth, but your machine will be chatter more on heavy iron land.
π–•π–Šπ–— π–ˆπ–—π–šπ–ˆπ–Šπ–’ 𝖆𝖉 π–ˆπ–”π–—π–”π–“π–†π–’

Buriedbytime&dust

Post by Buriedbytime&dust » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:25 pm

What the range on the 600?

The 800 Iron Bias ranges 0-9, and I've found enough small non-ferrous targets to be confident that I'm not filtering them out to any degree at a setting of 3 or less.

Bors

Post by Bors » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:56 pm

ebo2fast wrote: ↑
Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:14 pm
hi guys
just a quick post to say ive had someone i know rang me up to tell me im better off using
iron bias on 0 . He is telling me im missing coins because ive set my 600 on iron bias 2 or 3 .
kind regards ian
How does your friend know what you`ve missed did he find them afterwards after going over the same path ? It always amuses me these people that state things like , "your missing things unless you use these settings " .
Does he know what your ground was like & does he know your precise settings your using? The only way to prove such an accusation is to both go over some trashy iron infested ground with your settings and he with his and let's see if his 0 IB will be better then?
If I may quote Gordon Heritage once again,...." I’ve said from day one not to get bogged down in someone else’s settings."
The "problem" is when you use someone else's settings is they might know when to change them when required, but you mightn`t ,then instantly you become using the wrong settings.

fred

Post by fred » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:34 pm

Actually the scale on the 600 is different and two or three on the 600 does seem a bit high. I would have though that one was OK to start with and it would be worth experimenting with zero when you feel happy with the machine. What mode are you using and what are you running the Response Speed at? ::g
Equinox 800 x2

Ten pence!

Post by Ten pence! » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:50 pm

hi guys
kind regards ian
Bury some targets and test, that is what I did so no guessing involved! I also run a 600 and never use iron bias. Basically you'll lose a bit of depth on non ferrous but more crucially you'll start to mask good targets in the vicinity of iron as you up that iron bias, it isn't hard to learn the tones and interpret the signals, train your brain to sift the signals and let the detector do it's thing.

Ten pence!

Post by Ten pence! » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:52 pm

MPower wrote: ↑
Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:15 pm
I guess it just depends on the land your on, and how much junk is under the surface. Think you'll gain a bit in depth, but your machine will be chatter more on heavy iron land.
Not if you notch out all but the biggest iron.

Easylife

Post by Easylife » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:25 pm

Ten pence! wrote: ↑
Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:50 pm
hi guys
just a quick post to say I've had someone i know rang me up to tell me I'm better off using
iron bias on 0 . He is telling me im missing coins because I've set my 600 on iron bias 2 or 3.
What are your comments on this?
Bury some targets and test, that is what I did so no guessing involved! I also run a 600 and never use iron bias. Basically you'll lose a bit of depth on non ferrous but more crucially you'll start to mask good targets in the vicinity of iron as you up that iron bias, it isn't hard to learn the tones and interpret the signals, train your brain to sift the signals and let the detector do it's thing.
u;@ What he said. ::g
Nox 800, 15" coil & Garrett carrot.
White's TDI SL

dirtdigger1

Post by dirtdigger1 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:35 am

To be honest mate, Iron Bias sucks, IMHO.

Try this....put a coin, be it silver, a Β£1 coin or a 2p coin....say...1-2inches away from a 3-4inch rusty iron bolt.

iron bias 4+ you will hear nothing of the good target, just the Equinox doing the brain work for you and saying, "nah, nothing here worth squaking about.

BUT, do same test on iron bias zero....WHAM, reapeatable crisp and clear.

Leave iron bias on zero and let YOU do the working out if it's good or not by the tones.

The amount of coins i've pulled out right next to HUGE pieces of rusty bits of old ship parts on the beach etc is crazy.

Iron bias zero you will hear that there are 2 targets there....loads of times on my local beach ive dug down, found a pile of rust and inside is a coin...lol.

Gotta love the Equinox.

Matt

fred

Post by fred » Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:46 pm

I actually agree with all this. However, I know what effect Iron Bias has and I still find it convenient to use Iron Bias at 1 on my very iron contaminated sites.

Unfortunately on the Nox 600 Iron Bias 1 is actually a higher setting than on the 800. It may well be a good setting when you are learning the Nox but is a bit high once you are experienced with it. I have suggested many times that the limited adjustability of the 600 may eventually become an issue for some users and this is one such scenario. It may well be that you will have little choice but to forego using Iron Bias altogether because you can't turn it down low enough. ::g
Equinox 800 x2

Ten pence!

Post by Ten pence! » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:11 pm

dirtdigger1 wrote: ↑
Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:35 am
To be honest mate, Iron Bias sucks, IMHO.

Try this....put a coin, be it silver, a Β£1 coin or a 2p coin....say...1-2inches away from a 3-4inch rusty iron bolt.

iron bias 4+ you will hear nothing of the good target, just the Equinox doing the brain work for you and saying, "nah, nothing here worth squaking about.

BUT, do same test on iron bias zero....WHAM, reapeatable crisp and clear.

Leave iron bias on zero and let YOU do the working out if it's good or not by the tones.

The amount of coins i've pulled out right next to HUGE pieces of rusty bits of old ship parts on the beach etc is crazy.

Iron bias zero you will hear that there are 2 targets there....loads of times on my local beach ive dug down, found a pile of rust and inside is a coin...lol.

Gotta love the Equinox.

Matt
Ah you are coming round to the TP/Littleboot way of thinking! :))

I always put any new (or potential new!) machine over my extensive test garden, this speeds up the learning process and removes a lot of the guessing, iron bias left me puzzled, I tried to find a situation where I could make use of it, I couldn't, like you I found it masked good targets near iron, it's a rather heavy handed function because it operates right across the range, the way it altered the machine reminded me of an old Explorer I had 25 years ago, it made the Equinox ponderous and slow reacting, not good.

So what to do about iron? Notch of course! This is a precise scalpel like way of knocking out iron, you are simply shutting down the audio for the notched out segments and not throwing a blanket over all of them like with iron bias, I really see no point in running all metal and then using the iron bias function to quieten things down, of course you do not notch all the iron out, you leave three or four segments in to indicate bigger iron, what is the point of hearing it all? Unless of course your sites are very quite and you want to hear something.

Basically set iron bias to 0 and leave it there! :))

Return to β€œMinelab Equinox Forum”