Fossil Hunting in Scarborough first time?

Only for the Discussion of Fossil Searching, Hunting, collecting, finding.
Raptorman

Fossil Hunting in Scarborough first time?

Post by Raptorman » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:01 pm

I am planning a short camping trip to Scarborough in August and am hoping to go fossil hunting as well as beach detecting. I have set my sights on Scalby Mills after reading a thread. Is that a decent area? Ideally what would I need for hunting fossils other than my eyes of course?

Any recommendations for a decent campsite wouldn't go a miss too, just me in a two man tent.

FUBAR

Re: Fossil Hunting in Scarborough first time?

Post by FUBAR » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:47 pm

Hi if you get the chance to down to Danes Dyke (North of Bridlington) Good for fossil hunting. Seen people doing this whilst detecting. Good luck and happy hunting matey.

gray724

Post by gray724 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:47 pm

There is an abundance of fossils North of Scarborough in and around Ravenscar, I walk around Scalby mills often but rarely find fossils there myself. The last time at the base of Ravenscar I found lots including many that had a lovely fools gold sheen. I'm sure you won't be disappointed. ::g

Raptorman

Post by Raptorman » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:30 pm

FUBAR wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:47 pm
Hi if you get the chance to down to Danes Dyke (North of Bridlington) Good for fossil hunting. Seen people doing this whilst detecting. Good luck and happy hunting matey.
Thanks for that, I will put it on my list.

Raptorman

Post by Raptorman » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:31 pm

gray724 wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:47 pm
There is an abundance of fossils North of Scarborough in and around Ravenscar, I walk around Scalby mills often but rarely find fossils there myself. The last time at the base of Ravenscar I found lots including many that had a lovely fools gold sheen. I'm sure you won't be disappointed. ::g
Not far from where I am planning to camp so added to my list, cheers mate.

M3T4LH34DZ

Post by M3T4LH34DZ » Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:04 pm

Hi Raptorman, not sure if you've already had your holiday at Scarborough but I know of a real gem for fossil hunting on the east coast North of Scarborough.
The place is called Saltwick bay and is situated about 2 miles south of Whitby. Satnav will take you right to it as there is a caravan park on the cliff tops also called "Saltwick bay caravan park" it is a good half hour drive from Scarborough but well worth it. Take a good comfy backpack with you as the descent to the bay is a good 5-10 minute walk down a steep zig-zag path on the cliff face. Once on the mainly pebble beach head straight over to the left hand side, observe the cliff face and you will see the timelines ascending, simply start searching the ground and it wont be long before you're finding Ammonites, Belemnites, Brachiopods, fossil corals and plants and who knows you might even get lucky and find something special. A hard hat may also be beneficial as debris can drop from the cliffs quite often, usually only dusty debris and gravel size bits but ultimately it is hazardous down there so stay wary of not only of the cliffs but also the tide. We always go on a falling tide to maximize our time limit, tide times are readily available online. It is possible to find HUGE ammonites down there as we have found sections and bits that suggest ammonites of up to a meter in diameter and possibly larger but a whole one is a rare thing indeed. we have never been so lucky on any of our visits.
I don't think you will be disappointed with this location. there is also at least one fossil tree trunk among the rocks and if you wander onto the flat smooth slate sea bed you will find a vein of small pyrite ammonites glistening gold in the grey slate, we tried to extract one and it just shattered so they are probably best just observed and left but it is amazing. Anyway I hope this helps and happy hunting. be sure to let me know what you find if you go :)

RossDG

Post by RossDG » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:49 am

M3T4LH34DZ wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:04 pm
Hi Raptorman, not sure if you've already had your holiday at Scarborough but I know of a real gem for fossil hunting on the east coast North of Scarborough.
The place is called Saltwick bay and is situated about 2 miles south of Whitby. Satnav will take you right to it as there is a caravan park on the cliff tops also called "Saltwick bay caravan park" it is a good half hour drive from Scarborough but well worth it. Take a good comfy backpack with you as the descent to the bay is a good 5-10 minute walk down a steep zig-zag path on the cliff face. Once on the mainly pebble beach head straight over to the left hand side, observe the cliff face and you will see the timelines ascending, simply start searching the ground and it wont be long before you're finding Ammonites, Belemnites, Brachiopods, fossil corals and plants and who knows you might even get lucky and find something special. A hard hat may also be beneficial as debris can drop from the cliffs quite often, usually only dusty debris and gravel size bits but ultimately it is hazardous down there so stay wary of not only of the cliffs but also the tide. We always go on a falling tide to maximize our time limit, tide times are readily available online. It is possible to find HUGE ammonites down there as we have found sections and bits that suggest ammonites of up to a meter in diameter and possibly larger but a whole one is a rare thing indeed. we have never been so lucky on any of our visits.
I don't think you will be disappointed with this location. there is also at least one fossil tree trunk among the rocks and if you wander onto the flat smooth slate sea bed you will find a vein of small pyrite ammonites glistening gold in the grey slate, we tried to extract one and it just shattered so they are probably best just observed and left but it is amazing. Anyway I hope this helps and happy hunting. be sure to let me know what you find if you go :)
Second that - Saltwick Bay is great for fossils, Ammonites and vertebrae (usually Icthyosaur) are common. A bit further to go but well worth the effort, and the climb, is Port Mulgrave. The climb up at the end of the day is fairly hard, first time we went there we were overwhelmed by the volume of fossils - that was 20 years ago, but I understand it is still very productive as access is difficult at times.
Equinox 600
Garrett EuroACE
Pro find 35 pinpointer
Leaky wellies!

Return to “Fossils Forum”