Best first detector for a child?

Useful information for anyone New to the hobby of metal detecting and just starting out.
HazzaB

Best first detector for a child?

Post by HazzaB » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:36 pm

Hi All! I'm looking for a very basic, but decent quality model suitable for my 7 year old to try his hand at detecting, but don't really want to spend more than about £70 ideally.
Can anyone suggest anything suitable?
I liked the look of the Joan Allen Coin Shooter Junior (nice simple analogue display) but it's out of stock. Other options I've been looking at are one on Amazon for £59 by 'Meterk' (Chinese?) or perhaps the 'National Geographic' Junior one, also on Amazon.
Appreciate most people on here are a bit more pro and have more serious kit, but does anyone have any knowledge of any of these?

LloydF

Re: Best first detector for a child?

Post by LloydF » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:03 pm

You might be able to get a Garrett ace 150 second hand for around that price! Or maybe one of the Gofind models
Garrett ACE 400i
Garrett Pro pointer AT

mrcheeky

Post by mrcheeky » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:12 pm

Hiya i was watching a video on youtube about someone who bought there child a metal detector from lidls i looked it up and had some awsome reviews i think the price was £49.99 check it out . and good luck to you and your child enjoy it
South London Metal Detector

crldnll

Post by crldnll » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:57 pm

My 5 year old has been asking for one - and after a good chunk of research, I went with the Bounty Hunter Junior. My little lads tiny so the weight was a big thing - the Bounty Hunter is one of the lightest out there at just over half a kilo and simple to use. I also wanted something that would actually be able to find things out in a field in hope that he wouldn't lose interest based on boredom if using a toy detector.

£80 on Amazon - just be careful on the E Bay - plenty of fakes out there!

Hope this helps!

Carl ::g

Blackadder43
Admin

Post by Blackadder43 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:01 pm

Try not to buy the maplins type or chinese type machines
They will frustrate you and your lad massively and would potentially put your lad off the hobby
As mentioned look into the second hand market
Give all the shops a ring and see what they have in stock
Also take a look in our shop as we have a childs detector in there somewhere
Childs detector

I know mrix did a review of this one

When you are right no one remembers; when you are wrong no one forgets

HazzaB

Post by HazzaB » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:55 pm

LloydF wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:03 pm
You might be able to get a Garrett ace 150 second hand for around that price! Or maybe one of the Gofind models
Thanks for the advice - can you recommend a resale website for one of these?

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:11 pm

I personally I would not recommend buying a metal detector from an internet site, new or old.
As said above, contact recognised dealers where you'll get unbiased advice, get the chance to see their s/h range which will also be covered by a guarantee period for peace of mind. ::g
Good Luck - ss47
A disservice is no service at all.

PinkFloyd

Post by PinkFloyd » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:09 am

You are free to borrow an ace250, it's sat doing nothing after my kids lost interest after 15 mins., pay the postages and try it for a week or so .
Offer is there for anyone on mdf ::g

Rayc

Post by Rayc » Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:57 pm

I was recently asked to recommend a metal detector as a birthday present for an 8 year old.
After looking around I opted for a Minelab Go Find 11.
When it arrived I fired it up and did an air test.
My thoughts:
A thoughtful, careful 8-10 year old should be able to set it up after instruction but a hasty, physical kid (or adult!) could easily damage it (all plastic construction; the arm shaft being a push and click is vulnerable).
It is light, balance is ok, and the shafts adjust down for smaller kids.
I think the two find modes are adequate for younger users. Previous experience with children using Minelab 305's (which are too heavy even with a shorter shaft fitted) tells me that absolute beginners delight in finding anything metallic!
It beeped away at silver, copper alloy, and small rusty nails with the icons making a guess at object id.
The beep tone is the same for ferrous and non ferrous.
Sand on the plastic shafts when beach detecting would need to be carefully cleaned off.
This is not a recommendation nor a thumbs down...just my initial impression on first handling.

Davidthomas

Post by Davidthomas » Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:22 pm

Just making the same decision. Had decided on the garret 200i . Any input would also be appreciated 👍

HazzaB

Post by HazzaB » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:36 pm

PinkFloyd wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:09 am
You are free to borrow an ace250, it's sat doing nothing after my kids lost interest after 15 mins., pay the postages and try it for a week or so .
Offer is there for anyone on mdf ::g
Wow thanks for the offer PinkFloyd - sounds great but unfortunately I just clicked 'buy' on Blackadder43's suggestion which looked perfect for our boy. If I catch the bug from him though I might take you up on your offer and give the Ace250 a go, if someone else hasn't snapped it up first!

Return to “Beginners Forum”