Detecting in France

Only topics related to permissions being gained in Continental Europe and Ireland in this forum.
Emily

Detecting in France

Post by Emily » Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:25 am

Good morning my fellow detectorists.

I went to Devon last week and detected on the beach everyday with my 400i and a borrowed Scuba Tector. Unfortunately NOTHING interesting came up. :( I was a little disappointed, but then again, I was there out of season, so it wasn’t completely unexpected.

However, I am going to France at the end of next week, and wondered if anyone on here knew the rules about detecting there?? I know that on one day we’ll be kayaking down the Dordogne, which I think would be a prime place to find lost jewellery etc. My borrowing of the scuba tector has been extended (thank you Clint) but will all be wasted if it’s not allowed.

p.s. I NEED TO KNOW BY THIS SATURDAY

Does anyone know the rules?? Thank you very much :)
Emily.

Live long and prospect 🖖🏻

sweepstick47

Re: Detecting in France

Post by sweepstick47 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:10 am

I can't help Emily :( but enjoy your excursion and most of all, stay safe ::g Regards ss47
A disservice is no service at all.

GeorgeMK

Post by GeorgeMK » Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:28 am

Tizabi

Post by Tizabi » Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:31 am

France. Searching for archaeological finds requires permission. Beach metal detecting is allowed.
found this on web site https://md-hunter.com/list-of-countries ... wedbanned/
hope this helps
Tizabi 98;

littleboot

Post by littleboot » Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:58 pm

Oh the oft quoted 'searching for archaeological finds' thing.
But we are not, are we.
Most of the time we have no idea what we will find.. We hope...but that is not the same.
Searching for archaeological finds from a French standpoint means: going to a place with established or highly suspected sites of archaeology and detecting there. Kind of akin to having a waft round Stone Henge. Not cool.
Whereas hobbyist detectorists are usually detecting farmland that has no recorded history and looking for things that are often...but not always...random losses. And that, dear reader, is as legal in France as it is in the UK.

Of course, once you take all the bull out of it you are left with entirely the same situation as in te UK...gaining permission from the landowner. And the whole 'land always belongs to someone' thing.
I am familiar with the Dordogne and have canoed down it many times. Very tempting to detect the odd islet and river beach. However...same applies as in England. The banks are owned. Its not that private especially in high summer the dordogne is heaving with canoes (far better to visit when the French do..September.) So zero chance of detecting even if you DO get permission without being pestered to death by a load of gawpers.
Best chance of detecting in France as a guest is to get in contact with a local club via a french detecting forum, Detecteurnet etc, Or speak to the landowner if you are staying at a gite.
Equinox 600, GMP, wellies.

Devonboy

Post by Devonboy » Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:13 pm

Excellent info and advice from Littleboot.

Tony

Oxgirl36

Post by Oxgirl36 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:27 pm

Tizabi wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:31 am
France. Searching for archaeological finds requires permission. Beach metal detecting is allowed.
found this on web site https://md-hunter.com/list-of-countries ... wedbanned/
hope this helps
Tizabi 98;
Please be careful, I believe this site's permission is not very accurate. Just double check anything it tells you ::g
Carpe vinum

XP Deus !!£$ I use the HOT programme on 17khz, reactivity at 2.5 on v5.21 with the X35 11” coil

Hammered silver 2019 - 23 B-)

Emily

Post by Emily » Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:51 am

littleboot wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:58 pm
Oh the oft quoted 'searching for archaeological finds' thing.
But we are not, are we.
Most of the time we have no idea what we will find.. We hope...but that is not the same.
Searching for archaeological finds from a French standpoint means: going to a place with established or highly suspected sites of archaeology and detecting there. Kind of akin to having a waft round Stone Henge. Not cool.
Whereas hobbyist detectorists are usually detecting farmland that has no recorded history and looking for things that are often...but not always...random losses. And that, dear reader, is as legal in France as it is in the UK.

Of course, once you take all the bull out of it you are left with entirely the same situation as in te UK...gaining permission from the landowner. And the whole 'land always belongs to someone' thing.
I am familiar with the Dordogne and have canoed down it many times. Very tempting to detect the odd islet and river beach. However...same applies as in England. The banks are owned. Its not that private especially in high summer the dordogne is heaving with canoes (far better to visit when the French do..September.) So zero chance of detecting even if you DO get permission without being pestered to death by a load of gawpers.
Best chance of detecting in France as a guest is to get in contact with a local club via a french detecting forum, Detecteurnet etc, Or speak to the landowner if you are staying at a gite.
Wow!! How knowledgeable you are!! I wasn’t expecting quite so much information this early in the morning. 😂 So, after all your wise words, would your ultimate opinion be to not bother and just enjoy the holiday?? ☺️
Live long and prospect 🖖🏻

littleboot

Post by littleboot » Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:58 am

In a nutshell: Yes.
You don't have enough time to get into it properly...it needs planning ahead. Its getting into High Season now and everything is busy and there will be lots to see and do. Enjoy.
Equinox 600, GMP, wellies.

Return to “Continental Europe and Ireland Permissions”