Is it illegal to Metal Detect on the Beaches of Majorca?

Only topics related to permissions being gained in Continental Europe and Ireland in this forum.
stephenbeetleman

Is it illegal to Metal Detect on the Beaches of Majorca?

Post by stephenbeetleman » Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:23 pm

Hi Guys,
Recently joined this forum from Ireland here and i think its great to get advice from others in the UK that are clued up on metal detecting. I've recently booked a holiday to Majorca (in the Balearic Islands) in June and was wondering about bringing my metal detector with me to have a go on the beaches with it in the evenings. Do any of you guys on here know whether it is it illegal to detect out there? I know that there is a blanket ban in mainland Spain on detecting but the Canaries is ok. Also i never have brought my detctor abroad with me before so do any of you know about paying to get it put through as oversized baggage or would i maybe be best to pack it folded down in my hold bag?

Many Thanks

Steve

Minelab Sovereign GT

SEF 15 X 12 Coil

Garrett Pro Pointer

Roland Shake-Rattle

Re: Is it illegal to Metal Detect on the Beaches of Majorca?

Post by Roland Shake-Rattle » Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:01 pm

I know it's an old post.
But with no replies & no follow up, I thought I'd bump-it.

Did you take it with you?
Did you have any trouble if you did?
Did you see anyone else using one & wish you'd taken yours if you did not?
Anyone else taken one abroad to a place where it's legal to detect beaches?

I've read the NCMD website on European laws.
Beaches in France are believed to be outside this Law. Anyone tested this?
Last edited by Roland Shake-Rattle on Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ace 250
Vibra-Tector 730

stephenbeetleman

Post by stephenbeetleman » Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:06 pm

Hey Roland,

Yep it sure was an old post lol. I did the err to the side of caution at the time and didnt take the detector with me for the fear of it getting taken off me. Although i did see a detectorist working his Garrett ACE 250 in the dry sand, i can only assume he was local. I never did find out whether it was illegal or not. I have heard from others since that regardless of the law regionally, local police authorities should they dislike detectorists they can make life very difficult for you and confiscate equipment etc. I just at the time didnt think it was worth the risk.

Regards

Stephen
Minelab Sovereign GT

SEF 15 X 12 Coil

Garrett Pro Pointer

Matchie

Post by Matchie » Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:11 pm

I`m going to bring mine with me folded down in july to nice,if I was going to mallorica I would prob chance it early morning 6ish should be ok there should not be too many around then.

stephenbeetleman

Post by stephenbeetleman » Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:15 pm

I'll be interested to hear how the CS4PI performs in Nice Matchie ...you'll have to keep us posted! Are you using a shovel or scoop at the min? I had to get a scoop in the end as the wetsand kept collapsing in on itself leaving me to have to redig the holes over and over lol :))
Minelab Sovereign GT

SEF 15 X 12 Coil

Garrett Pro Pointer

pete@boston

Post by pete@boston » Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:18 pm

Blanket ban in Spain i never knew that i took my Detector there last year.

I am going furventura in March i need a Minelab if anyone wants to rent one out?
My great concern is not whether you have failed, but whether you are content with your failure.
Body of a God, Buddha

Matchie

Post by Matchie » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:44 pm

stephenbeetleman wrote:I'll be interested to hear how the CS4PI performs in Nice Matchie ...you'll have to keep us posted! Are you using a shovel or scoop at the min? I had to get a scoop in the end as the wetsand kept collapsing in on itself leaving me to have to redig the holes over and over lol :))
Hi Stephen,I was thinking of making a long handled scoop as I work in a factory I could make one on night shift,don`t fancy paying £120+ for one.I use a short handle spade and a scoop but in very wet sand if you dont get it first time it can sink in,hopefully the long handle scoop would be a better job.I will let you know how it goes in Nice with the detector,the beaches are very stoney so a scoop would prob not do I may just get a small shovel over there. :)

jonbooker44

Post by jonbooker44 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:22 pm

im off next week...looked on google earth and seen some secluded areas so will be hiring a car and doing a bit on the beaches...while the other half is taning herself!!!!

spanish pirate gold is on my wish list!!!!!!!!!!!
WHAT GOES IN HAS GOT TO COME OUT.....THATS WHERE WE COME INTO PLAY.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/31850817@N07/

radosc

Post by radosc » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:18 pm

Again, an old post but I'm going to Tenerife in a week or so and thinking of taking my new deus on a walk everyday at 5.30. So, is it safe? Or should I be worried? :) Thanks!! [:)
XP Deus v2 + Garrett Pro-Pointer - Divine combo
Past: Minelab Explorer XS + SEF 10x12

Return to “Continental Europe and Ireland Permissions”