My Search For French Landowner Flounders But, Good News

Only topics related to permissions being gained in Continental Europe and Ireland in this forum.
minelabmania

Re: My Search For French Landowner Flounders But, Good News

Post by minelabmania » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:51 pm

biro wrote: Perhaps you should ask the same question to yourself.
Biro.............
Well, as I am sure you know, the law up here in Scotland is totally different to the English law.

To keep ourselves right we declare pretty much everything we find, as we have an excellent relationship with the staff at the TTU in Edinburgh.

This really helps us as detectorists as we get a free identification service for all our finds.

I currently have a few nice bits going through the Treasure trove system at the moment, including a very nice James III hammered silver groat.

As it happens, I am indeed fortunate enough to have found quite a few nice items in my time, and guess what...several of them happen to have been claimed and are housed in museums.

Here is my claim certificate from one such find which can be seen in all its glory, housed in Perth museum.

GeoffB was merely sharing his good fortune in getting permission to search some land, and didnt really deserve to be shot down in flames the way you did.

I always find it best not to be too quick to judge others !

Enjoy your evening :)

biro

Post by biro » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:57 pm

We are talking about the french law and detecting. Not UK law.This law states that you must not remove any artifact that may relate historically, You may in France use detectors to find lost keys rings and farm parts but anything else you must leave it where it is. I did not make this law up, it is the French governement who writes the law. Unlike the UK law which as you well know will allow you to take what you find away with you and if in the PAS boundaries, you will need to inform them. It does not matter in France what the value is, any artifact must not be taken away under French law. So please be aware of the different laws of each country before you call me an English thief. I have no regard either way, what people do when detecting in France, it is up to them . What I was trying to point out is, that although you may see a lot of finds being shown on here and a post that says I have a lot more land in France. There is a strict law on metal detecting in France. It seems to me that you would like all the members to go to France and detect without any warning of the french laws and what may happen to you, if you are caught. Well I am sorry if i have offended any one of you, But i will give honest advice to inocent people so that in the future they may use it for their wellfare. Unlike everyone who has had a go at me for mentioning the pitfalls of illegal detecting in france.What it has shown though is the thoughts of others and what they consider right.
Biro.........................

minelabmania

Post by minelabmania » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:11 pm

What is this UK law of which you speak ?

Last time I looked Scotland was part of the UK but has a totally diffeent law than England.

Ireland, most of which is also in the UK, has a different law again.

geoffb

Post by geoffb » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:24 pm

Biro,
The code is open to all sorts of interpretation and is not enforcable. Unless, like in the UK, you are actually caught on an ancient monument or scheduled site without the required permit. A law was passed last September stating that a driver of a car had to carry 2 breathaliser kits in his car. Mototrists had 4 months to buy the kits and were told by the government that prosecutions were to start in February if the motorists failed to carry the kits. February has come, it is still law but the Police & Gendarmes agree that it is not enforcable (for various reasons) and will not enforce it. Althogh the law is statute, it will never be enforced. This is another typical example of poor law making, of which the detecting "laws" fall into the same category.
You go on to state that a visit should be made to the French Internet Detecting Forum sites in order to increase my knowledge on the matter. However, according to your definitions, these forums must be ilegal if detecting is against the law in France. I note your comments that you only detect on beaches and have never taken anything ilegally off land or beaches belonging to someone else. I suppose you go to the Police Station and hand in your coppers, nickel coins, rings and jewellery everytime you find these items on the beach ? After all, even though lost on the beach, these items still belong to someone. In fact, I cant really understand why you go detecting if thats what you do. I bet your local police office love you to bits when you turn up with "another bag full of loose change". Anyway, I live here in France and you live in the UK so I think I am more in the know than you are and resent the fact of being told what I can and cant do by a person who actually resides in another country. Its no wonder Scotland wants independance !!!!! >:P Having taken all Biros comments off board, I will now put this matter to rest as I have lots of research to do as I am off out detecting in the morning. I will be wearing a face mask and gloves. Not to hide my identity, but, because its gone bloody cold.
"One man's trash is another man's treasure."
Teknetics T2 SE, Makro Racer, Minelab Sov, Tesoro Silver Sabre.

minelabmania

Post by minelabmania » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:35 pm

Good Luck Geoffb.

I hope you find lots of tractor parts ::g

forest ferret

Post by forest ferret » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:38 pm

Yep, good luck on your new permission in the morning Geoff ::g
Equinox 800
Stainless steel Black Ada Big foot
Garrett Pro-pointer AT
Evolution Type R Pro
Deteknix Stainless Steel Diamond Digger

Kentish man detecting in the depths of rural France

biro

Post by biro » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:47 pm

Exactly. You adhere to the country's laws in which you live. I will say it again, I pointed out the law as that is what it is in France. If this post is offensive to those who have considered going to France detecting and now know the law then so be it. If I have shown a few members that it is illegal and that you can be heavily pubished and have helped them, good, There is a difference which you well know or perhaps not as you seem to not know about the law that I posted, but you are allowed to remove items in England, where as France you are not. It does not matter how you say it. Any person taking atifacts away from a field in France is breaking the law. I did not make the law the French governement did. also i am not saying it is a good law. I don't think it is. We see posts all the time about detecting on holiday be it Spain Portugal or France. They ask on here what the laws are for each individual country and it would be wrong for anyone to say, yes it is illegal but do not worry about it, that one person who is caught will not be happy about it.
As for my detecting. I do it to keep fit not to find anything. It is a slow walk that helps my heart and lungs stay a bit fitter after my bad health. I suppose i could have taken up indoor bowls, I think thats legal in France,
Biro...................

geoffb

Post by geoffb » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:00 pm

minelabmania wrote:Good Luck Geoffb.

I hope you find lots of tractor parts ::g
Why,,, thank you minelabmania.
Do you know where I can get a good finds bag for tractor parts ? I The other day I found a Fordson Major back wheel and had a right job getting it in my back pocket. It was off a british army 1942 Fordson. I know this because it was dated and in army olive green. I got home and tried to obtain the telephone number of President Hollande from the' Gendarmes. They asked why I wanted it and I explained that I had found a British Fordson WWII tractor back wheel and would like the president to come and collect it, seeing, (as I am informed) that all WWII items belong to the state.
They said they couldnt give me his home number but they would give me his mobile number.
Anyway, I rang him up and told him I had a WWII tractor rear wheel for him, and do you know, he was chuffed to bits. We talked for a while and he insisted I call him Frankie. He said that the wheel was not of historical interest really, but, he wanted it so he could go and weigh it in at the scrappies in Paris. He went on to say that he would put the money in the goverment coffers and it would help reduce the countries deficit. He's coming round on sunday in his renault 5 with a trailor to collect it. I feel as though I have thoroughly "done my bit" in declaring my tractor wheel. :$)

minelabmania

Post by minelabmania » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:12 pm

Nice one GeoffB.

Good to see a fine upstanding pillar of the community doing his bit for the local economy !

As for a Finds pouch, I tend to use an old potato sack, but then I do find huge amounts of priceless artefacts every time I go detecting. :))

midas
Location: Junction27.M62.Nr LEEDS.W.Yorks.Ex Hunmanby.E.Yorks

Post by midas » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:19 pm

all this farting n fanning around.Biro leave them to it.if the wish to act illegally.then hopefully the law will catch up with them!and all thier clever little i do this and i do that.won't count a toss.
perhaps when they are stood in the dock they will have to take notice of the law.
I thank you for putting the legal position clearly.and hope no one falls foul of the law when perhaps on holiday.
The breathalizer is another story,there just wasn't enough approved ones, in france for every motorist to aquire them.so more time was allowed.
BUT TWO WRONGS DON'T,MAKE A RIGHT!
Same old MIDAS,Just been resurrected!!
.Living for the moment,Digging up the past,For the future to see!.

geoffb

Post by geoffb » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:05 am

midas wrote:all this farting n fanning around.Biro leave them to it.if the wish to act illegally.then hopefully the law will catch up with them!and all thier clever little i do this and i do that.won't count a toss.
perhaps when they are stood in the dock they will have to take notice of the law.
I thank you for putting the legal position clearly.and hope no one falls foul of the law when perhaps on holiday.
The breathalizer is another story,there just wasn't enough approved ones, in france for every motorist to aquire them.so more time was allowed.
mon vieil ami, votre grammaire et la ponctuation pourrait faire avec un peu de travail >:P

froggyfagan

Post by froggyfagan » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:11 am

::g Hope the weather's better in Normandy than here for the first day on your new permission,brass monkeys!!! ::g

forest ferret

Post by forest ferret » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:44 pm

-4° and a windchill that feels like -10°, ground like concrete, but the suns out :))

Happy days ::g
Equinox 800
Stainless steel Black Ada Big foot
Garrett Pro-pointer AT
Evolution Type R Pro
Deteknix Stainless Steel Diamond Digger

Kentish man detecting in the depths of rural France

geoffb

Post by geoffb » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:50 pm

froggyfagan wrote:::g Hope the weather's better in Normandy than here for the first day on your new permission,brass monkeys!!! ::g
Hi Froggy,
Weather here is snowing and ground is rock hard so I have not been detecting today. Hopefully, it will improve in the next day or two as I am itching to get out and do a bit.

geoffb

Post by geoffb » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:53 pm

forest ferret wrote:-4° and a windchill that feels like -10°, ground like concrete, but the suns out :))

Happy days ::g
Hi Forest F,
Yes, its bloody cold and has been snowing here too. I am afraid the "pitch" is rock hard so the bad weather has stopped play. :>

midas
Location: Junction27.M62.Nr LEEDS.W.Yorks.Ex Hunmanby.E.Yorks

Post by midas » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:11 pm

geoffb wrote:
midas wrote:all this farting n fanning around.Biro leave them to it.if the wish to act illegally.then hopefully the law will catch up with them!and all thier clever little i do this and i do that.won't count a toss.
mon vieil ami, votre grammaire et la ponctuation pourrait faire avec un peu de travail >:P
What a pompous oaf you are.My grammer and pronunciation.bear no relation to ur illegal acts and encoaraging others to do the same.
"What goes around,comes around"
Same old MIDAS,Just been resurrected!!
.Living for the moment,Digging up the past,For the future to see!.

geoffb

Post by geoffb » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:16 pm

midas wrote:
geoffb wrote:
What a pompous oaf you are.My grammer and pronunciation.bear no relation to ur illegal acts and encoaraging others to do the same.
"What goes around,comes around"
By the way, your spelling is in need of a brush up too !!!!

Return to “Continental Europe and Ireland Permissions”