Interested in getting into Metal Detecting

This is not compulsory but if you would like to tell us a little about yourself then post here.
Chris_T

Interested in getting into Metal Detecting

Post by Chris_T » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:49 pm

Hello one and all,

I am Interested in getting into Metal Detecting as a hobbyist. I have never seriously gone detecting, just playing around really. The irony of this is that I used to make them for a living. I was an electronics engineer at Pulse Technology in Abingdon back in the 90's making and servicing Goldscan's, SuperScan and such like. I used to work with Eric Foster (Pulse Power - DeepScan, Sandpiper, etc.) who, as I have found out, is a bit of a legend on the forums. I have a more electronics technical background and can tell you how they work, how to set them up and repair them but do not really know much about the hobby.

I have a P.I. machine that I built myself a long time back, but would like to find out a bit more about the hobby. I thought I may go to a local club to get some more background info. I will trawl the forum for tips and information and look forward to exchanging some emails in the future with some of you.

All the best, Chris_T.

Oxgirl36

Re: Interested in getting into Metal Detecting

Post by Oxgirl36 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:01 pm

Chris, a very warm welcome to the forum. I have absolutely no idea how the things are built or really anything other than the bare essentials of how they work, so you’ll have a head start on quite a few of us. To be honest I’m not that interested (did I just say that =)) ) despite working with electrical stuff as my day job. But using them is wonderful.

You might be interested in the beginners event if you want to know more about to use them viewtopic.php?f=35&t=108024

You’ll be hooked in no time ::g
Carpe vinum

XP Deus !!£$ I use the HOT programme on 17khz, reactivity at 2.5 on v5.21 with the X35 11” coil

Hammered silver 2019 - 20 8=ypr

Blackadder43
Admin

Post by Blackadder43 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:17 pm

Hi and welcome Chris
Eric Foster is indeed a legend and some of his machines command large amounts of money and are very sought after
Anyways, welcome and enjoy your stay here
I anticipate some questions coming your way being as though you have fiddled with some machines before they reach the market place
When you are right no one remembers; when you are wrong no one forgets

Ladybird66

Post by Ladybird66 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:29 pm

Hello Chris and welcome. I can see you’ll be at the top of a few ‘help’ lists in no time.

Look forward to seeing how well you get on. There’s plenty of hands on experience and advise at the touch of a button. Just ask and you will receive ::g

Slapster

Post by Slapster » Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:28 am

Hi Chris, and welcome.

Where about are you? It may be that someone local could assist "hands on", so to speak.

Steve
Regards from The Slapster, Cornwall, UK

Who used to have an open mind, but his brains kept falling out......

Equipment Details:
XP Deus 28RCW5
XP MI-6 Pointer
Shovels, Scoops, Bags, Coats, gloves and shoes.......

garrettoldboy

Post by garrettoldboy » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:25 am

hello Chris, i remember the Company, if your still in the Abingdon area your welcome to give me a PM, cheers

Chris_T

Post by Chris_T » Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:45 pm

Slapster wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:28 am
Hi Chris, and welcome.

Where about are you? It may be that someone local could assist "hands on", so to speak.

Steve
Hi Steve,

I am near Abingdon in Oxfordshire. There are a couple of detector clubs within 25 miles. I shall have to get to one of them. There were a few people in the village who used to go out, but not sure any more.

Regards,

Chris.

Chris_T

Post by Chris_T » Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:52 pm

garrettoldboy wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:25 am
hello Chris, i remember the Company, if your still in the Abingdon area your welcome to give me a PM, cheers
Hi Garrettoldboy,

I am still in the area. Pulse Technology (PTL) was bought out and the company moved to Wales some time ago (2000). Eric Foster of Pulse Power Developments, used to be in one of PTL's units in Abingdon and stayed around for a bit longer. Not sure if he's about here any more?

Regards,

Chris.

garrettoldboy

Post by garrettoldboy » Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:22 pm

Chris_T wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:52 pm
garrettoldboy wrote:
Hi Garrettoldboy,

I am still in the area. Pulse Technology (PTL) was bought out and the company moved to Wales some time ago (2000). Eric Foster of Pulse Power Developments, used to be in one of PTL's units in Abingdon and stayed around for a bit longer. Not sure if he's about here any more?

Regards,

Chris.
hello Chris, i live in town and can remember the Company but that is about it, what sort of information due you wish to know, i started many years ago but do not get out detecting much these days and have other interests, let me know what information you need eg clubs/detectors/getting permissions and i maybe able to help, if your interested in a beginners detecting day there is one being organized with some MDF forum members, venue in Gloucestershire, there is also a club based in Oxford, cheers

garrettoldboy

Post by garrettoldboy » Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:26 pm

garrettoldboy wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:22 pm
Chris_T wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:52 pm
garrettoldboy wrote:
Hi Garrettoldboy,

Regards,

Chris.
hello Chris, i live in town and can remember the Company but that is about it, what sort of information due you wish to know, i started many years ago but do not get out detecting much these days and have other interests, let me know what information you need eg clubs/detectors/getting permissions and i maybe able to help, if your interested in a beginners detecting day there is one being organized with some MDF forum members, venue in Gloucestershire, there is also a club based in Oxford, cheers
note, click on rallies then page 5 detecting for beginners day, May 11th

Return to “Introduce yourself here Forum”