Starting up

This is not compulsory but if you would like to tell us a little about yourself then post here.
LeeW

Starting up

Post by LeeW » Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:33 pm

Hey all,

Looking to start detecting here in Somerset before taking it further out... just need to get myself a detector and get going.
If there's anyone near that can point me in the right direction, it would be greatly appreciated

Happy hunting

Lee

sweepstick47

Re: Starting up

Post by sweepstick47 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:24 pm

Hello Lee, It's always a pleasure to welcome new members to the forum ::g You can probably obtain most if not all the information you need to become a hobbyist in the various forums over there l;/ in the blue panel. These guides are considered the essential 'start point' for new members and new detectorists alike:- MDF Guide and the Forum Rules they contain some important legal requirements that you need to be aware of too.

Good Luck and enjoy your time with us on the MDF. Regards ss47 ::g
A disservice is no service at all.

Mickie_76

Post by Mickie_76 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:23 am

Hi Lee
I suppose it depends on your budget really tbh but after much deliberation I got the garret ace 250 pinpointer package from regtons I've only been detecting around a month but I can't believe the coins I've found with it so far
It's a very simple machine to start off with but it does what it says on the tin
The pinpoint on the machine is bang on but a separate hand held pinpointer is a very handy tool to have.
I've just upgraded my coil to a nel too so you always have that option as well.
I've heard mixed reviews on them for beach work but I'm yet to test my machine on sand however I have bought a cs4pi which il be putting through its paces in the next week
Anyway I hope that's been helpful and happy hunting mate.

Oxgirl36

Post by Oxgirl36 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:37 am

Hi Lee and welcome to the forum. If you want help this event might be of interest to you viewtopic.php?f=35&t=108024

Great opportunity to try some machines and get advice on every aspect of detecting ::g
XP Deus !!£$ I use the HOT programme on 17khz, reactivity at 2.5 on v5.21 with the X35 11” coil

Hammered silver 2019 - 13 x;

peds4x4

Post by peds4x4 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:52 pm

Hi Lee,
Always a common question, I would check youtube for reviews, take a look at common/popular makes are listed in the forum menu. Bottom Left Depending on budget , then watch some of the great reviews on Youtube.

peds4x4

Post by peds4x4 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:13 pm

Lee,

Just a further note from my own experience
I find a bit of snobbery around some groups, where you have to have a NOX ( Minelabs Equinox) or XP Deus to be taken seriously, but they are exspensive, although may of course be worth the extra cash, I dont know I never used one.
But personally I opted for a Garrett 400i, it seemed to have the right balance of ease of use for beginers, but with a few extras in custom options and performance, over the Garrett 250/300/euroace.
Watched a lots of videos and there are lots on the Garretts !
Buying wise, it seemed everywhere in UK was at same price, £339, but the shop from this forum was a good bit cheaper, and actually less than second hand ones sold for on ebay ! ( I watched two auctions go above £310 plus postage on top ! Anyway been pleased with it so far, but only used on the beach so far not on farmland !.

Best of Luck.

Tetra73

Post by Tetra73 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:26 pm

The best bit of advice I will offer is BEFORE you spend any money on a detector make sure you have somewhere to use it permisions can be had to get

Dominic2708

Post by Dominic2708 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:16 pm

Hi lee, am a newbie myself. I bought a Teknetic eurotek pro which was about £200. Only done beach detecting so far and found the usual Coins,Jewellery , Plenty of Ring pulls from cans. I have just today got my first permission so will be trying it out on land at the weekend.
Happy Hunting Lee, the bug bit me and i am sure it will be same for you.

Return to “Introduce yourself here Forum”