Hi from Plymouth

This is not compulsory but if you would like to tell us a little about yourself then post here.
Pilgrimrob

Hi from Plymouth

Post by Pilgrimrob » Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:07 pm

Hi guys. Just to introduce myself. I have spent many years reading about metal detecting with interest but never tried it but I have decided it’s time to have a go myself. Bought a second hand Garrett ace 250 last week so been reading instructional reviews and video but still not actually used it. Any advice about where to go nearby. I live new beaches and moorland. Any advice most welcome. Thanks in advance.

sweepstick47

Re: Hi from Plymouth

Post by sweepstick47 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:54 pm

Hello Pilgrimrob ::g Welcome aboard the forums. All land is owned by someone including moorland and beaches, my advice would be to have a good browse of The Forum Guide Here as it will provide information you need to be aware of, including the legal obligations of a detectorist, and how to obtain permission from a landowner to detect etc.etc. A good search through the forums over there l;/ will also provide answers to questions that detectorists frequently ask.

Good Luck and enjoy your time with us on the forum ::g Regards ss47
A disservice is no service at all.

Timmy 64

Post by Timmy 64 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:43 am

Hi and a warm welcome from sunny Cornwall B-)

john Colin

Post by john Colin » Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:40 am

Hi Pilgrimrob, welcome to the forum from a fellow Plymouthian.

Most of the beaches on the South Devon coast are Crown estate and as such detecting is permissible. There are however exceptions, these are National Trust and privately owned beaches, have a gander at the Crown Estate map found on their website for a guide.

Over the border in Cornwall there are no Crown Estate beaches but some public beaches do exist where detecting is accepted, have a look on the Cornwall Council website for a list.

Dartmoor is of course a national park and as such detecting is not allowed but it is possible to get permission from some of the farms/landowners that flank Dartmoor.

Good luck with your new pastime and finding permission.

JC

FUBAR

Post by FUBAR » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:05 pm

Hi and welcome to the hobby and this great forum. Advice on getting started? Get out and get some permissions from landowners then start detecting. Good luck and happy hunting. all the best from East Riding.

Pilgrimrob

Post by Pilgrimrob » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:14 am

Thanks guys for the warm welcome and advice. Much appreciated.

Pilgrimrob

Post by Pilgrimrob » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:29 pm

john Colin wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:40 am
Hi Pilgrimrob, welcome to the forum from a fellow Plymouthian.

Most of the beaches on the South Devon coast are Crown estate and as such detecting is permissible. There are however exceptions, these are National Trust and privately owned beaches, have a gander at the Crown Estate map found on their website for a guide.

Over the border in Cornwall there are no Crown Estate beaches but some public beaches do exist where detecting is accepted, have a look on the Cornwall Council website for a list.

Dartmoor is of course a national park and as such detecting is not allowed but it is possible to get permission from some of the farms/landowners that flank Dartmoor.

Good luck with your new pastime and finding permission.

JC
Hi John Colin ,thanks for the warm welcome. Could you tell me if Bovisand beach is ok to detect on. Also what areas do you use (beach or field or both),I have been driving around the Elfordleigh/Cann woods area hoping to see a farmer in his field so I could ask permission but no luck yet. Thanks in advance.

john Colin

Post by john Colin » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:36 pm

If you are free this Sunday and would like to come as my guest on our club dig in the Plymouth area PM me your email address and I will send you details.

Return to “Introduce yourself here Forum”