Hello from Pendle

This is not compulsory but if you would like to tell us a little about yourself then post here.
ScouseMalc

Hello from Pendle

Post by ScouseMalc » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:05 pm

Hi Fellow detectorists, My (real) name is Malcolm and, although hailing from Liverpool, have lived in the shadow of Pendle Hill for over 60 years. I took this great hobby up about 6-7 years ago but have been inactive for about 4-5 due to heath problems, mine and my wife's. I was a newish member of the Preston History Hunters' MD club before it suddenly disbanded just before that.
Suitable permissions seem a little sparse nearby but having just put our caravan on a site at Warton/Lytham, health permitting, I am getting my gear together to take up MD again and hopefully make good use of some time there on beaches, Ribble estuary, common land and any permissions gained. I was lucky to meet up with the local Archivist of Lytham Heritage last week who kindly gave me some leads. Just renewed my NCMD membership - always useful.
I have a Technetics Eurotek (my first basic machine which I love) and an XP GoldMaxx Power (a bit heavy) for which I think I need to buy a new coil - advice on that might be sought later. Thanks to suggestions here, today I got a required new spade for now, £10 at Screwfix. Lastly, would anyone know if I can legally detect on ALL Common Land (the 'uses' include 'recreation activities'?) like the Lytham Lighthouse Green or probably best to check with local councils? Happy hunting Friends. :ml

sweepstick47

Re: Hello from Pendle

Post by sweepstick47 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:42 pm

Hello Malcolm, And welcome aboard the Forum and also upon your return to the hobby.
With regard to detecting on 'Common Land', it's important to know that all land is is owned by someone which includes land termed 'common' or 'common land' - (often this will be owned/controlled by the local council but still needs to be checked).

This link provides advice on how to go about gaining admission from a landowner. Here

Beaches can also be privately owned so It's worth checking with the local council who will advise.
This link will give you an overview of the forum and provide additional important information including the legal responsibilities of us metal detectorists. Here

Good Luck and enjoy your time with us here on the MDF ::g Regards ss47
A disservice is no service at all.

Oxgirl36

Post by Oxgirl36 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:50 am

A warm welcome to the forum :D

The area around Pendle hill is very beautiful, if rather prone to rain! As Eric has already said you can’t detect any common land without permission, it’s a myth that it belongs to all of us. Luckily for you the beach is nearby.

Good luck finding somewhere to go and hope you share with us stories of your adventures :D
XP Deus !!£$ I use the HOT programme on 17khz, reactivity at 2.5 on v5.21 with the X35 11” coil

Hammered silver 2019 - 13 x;

ScouseMalc

Post by ScouseMalc » Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:03 pm

Many thanks to both forum members for the warm welcome and useful advice. I am very aware of the need to do things properly and upholding the (predominantly) good name of the MD fraternity. In a swop of favours with a friend today, it looks like I might get on some ancient unsearched and undeveloped farmland near Bleasdale in the Wyre District/Forest of Bowland area of Lancashire so I look forward to that if so.
I will check usage of any Common Land with local councils, etc, but a Gov.UK guide I found says horse riding is allowed on some for which I would make the case that our hobby would probably have less harmful impact on ground conditions than after horse riding. Even large parts of Pendle Hill are being disputed as being Common Land so will investigate that. Someone said a small gold nugget was found on the surface up there though I doubt it. NCMD card just arrived so nearly all set to go. Best wishes.

FULLTIMER

Post by FULLTIMER » Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:21 pm

Welcome to the forum as said a lovely area up there I have family in Burnley , just remember ALL common land has an owner, commoners only have certain rights to use that land for grazing etc so you will need to find the owner of such land to gain permission which won't necessarily be the local council.
MINELAB SAFARI & RUTUS ALTER 71 teamed up with DETEKNIX WIRELESS HEADPHONES

FUBAR

Post by FUBAR » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:56 am

Hi and welcome to this great forum. Good luck and happy hunting matey.

ScouseMalc

Post by ScouseMalc » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:49 pm

FULLTIMER wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:21 pm
Welcome to the forum as said a lovely area up there I have family in Burnley , just remember ALL common land has an owner, commoners only have certain rights to use that land for grazing etc so you will need to find the owner of such land to gain permission which won't necessarily be the local council.
I have not figured out yet how to reply to individuals (there is a lot to learn here on operating within the forum) except now by including a reply quote. Anyway, Fulltimer, many thanks for taking the time to reply! I went into our Town Hall today, spoke to someone there, only to be told that within the Pendle Council area (Nelson, Colne, Barrowford, Earby, etc) there is NO Common Land! I was quite surprised at that. Also, although there are/were parts of Pendle Hill being disputed as being so, that area is not under Pendle Council. Oh well, I hope for better luck on the Fylde when at the caravan.
Best regards.

Oxgirl36

Post by Oxgirl36 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:52 pm

ScouseMalc wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:49 pm

I have not figured out yet how to reply to individuals (there is a lot to learn here on operating within the forum) except now by including a reply quote.
This might help app.php/mdf-help-guide ::g
XP Deus !!£$ I use the HOT programme on 17khz, reactivity at 2.5 on v5.21 with the X35 11” coil

Hammered silver 2019 - 13 x;

ScouseMalc

Post by ScouseMalc » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:59 pm

FUBAR wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:56 am
Hi and welcome to this great forum. Good luck and happy hunting matey.
Hi FUBAR, Many thanks for your reply and best wishes. Same to you. TBH, I have always enjoyed the outdoor MD activity, the peace and tranquillity, the birds, any animals around, the exercise and anticipation of a surprising find, whether successful or not. I'll be OK as long as I keep a good supply of Voltarol (can I advertise here?) handy. (:|

Return to “Introduce yourself here Forum”