Hello from the Selsey Bill

This is not compulsory but if you would like to tell us a little about yourself then post here.
Sputnik01

Hello from the Selsey Bill

Post by Sputnik01 » Thu May 09, 2019 12:05 pm

Hello,

After having wanted a metal detector since early in my youth I have finally got one in my fifties!

The engineering company I worked for decided that they only needed 350 of their 650 staff so I now have a bit of spare time whilst I find a new job. I thought this would be a good time to finally get the detector.

I've only had a few sessions with it so far. These were down the beach at West Wittering as permission is given between the low and high water marks. I enquired in the beach office if I needed a permit but was informed that you didn't.

It has been a learning process. I now know about some of the effects of damp sand and mineralised rocks.

However I have made two finds, a lump of iron from what appears to be a damaged groyne stake and a decomposing bike pump! not historical but it proves the metal detector works and gives me an idea of the type of beeps I want.

I am currently looking into whether I can detect in Chichester harbour, however given the number of restrictions on where you can do various other things I'm not too optimistic.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Cheers,

Chris

sweepstick47

Re: Hello from the Selsey Bill

Post by sweepstick47 » Thu May 09, 2019 12:25 pm

Hello Chris, That's a great introduction ::g Welcome aboard the Forums, I can see you're set on getting things right from the outset and the MDF is the perfect medium from which to obtain up-to date information on virtually every aspect affecting our hobby. It also seems you're well on the way to getting to grips with your machine and have already made some interesting discoveries. 8-|

The Forum Guide Here contains a host of information that you'll undoubtedly find helpful.
Good Luck and enjoy your time with us on the forums. - Regards ss47 ::g
A disservice is no service at all.

JBM

Post by JBM » Thu May 09, 2019 1:09 pm

Welcome Chris.

This hobby of ours has kept me going since retired over 26 years ago.

It exercises the body and mind without a doubt.

I suggest that you try to join a local club/association and that will help you to find land to detect on without the cost of the commercial digs that are on offer plus all the fuel costs getting to some of them.

NCMD when you apply for a card have a list of all their members associations that you could try.

This is good advice to all newcomers to our addictive hobby.

Happy Hunting

Jerry. ::g

FUBAR

Post by FUBAR » Thu May 09, 2019 8:07 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum.Greetings from East Riding.

lewscope79

Post by lewscope79 » Sun May 12, 2019 8:33 am

Welcome Selsey has some great history itself.Try the beach.I had a nice old ring from there once. It was like digging in builders rubble though >:P

Sputnik01

Post by Sputnik01 » Thu May 16, 2019 10:50 am

Thanks for all the comments. I know what you mean about digging in builders rubble at some points.

One other lesson I have learnt is it is not always best to mix detecting with taking the dog for a walk. I got a good signal and started a methodical dig which was quickly ended when doggie decided digging looked like a good game and started to join in, in my hole! There were paws and sand going in all directions. So I'm trying that one again.

Cheers for now. Chris

FUBAR

Post by FUBAR » Thu May 16, 2019 3:50 pm

Hi Chris and welcome to our wonderful hobby and this great forum.Greetings from East Riding.

nubsey

Post by nubsey » Thu May 16, 2019 6:21 pm

Hi there and welcome to the forum. You will find just about everything here you need to get a good start in the hobby. If you want to do coastal detecting then I would suggest you go here.

https://crownestate.maps.arcgis.com/app ... a5aa1660db

This will show you a map of the foreshore where you can detect on Crown Estates foreshore.

As has already been suggested, try to join a club.
By the way out of interest what machine have you bought?
Nox 800
Tesoro silver sabre U max

Return to “Introduce yourself here Forum”