Hi to everyone from NWLondon,Brand new to Forum

This is not compulsory but if you would like to tell us a little about yourself then post here.
Jim hawkins

Hi to everyone from NWLondon,Brand new to Forum

Post by Jim hawkins » Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:20 pm

Hi All , I am brand new to this forum and brand new to metal detecting,I haven’t even bought my first metal detector yet but will be doing so in the next week or so. I am going to go for the Garrett 400i,is there anyone on here that started off with this detector?

andiron

Re: Hi to everyone from NWLondon,Brand new to Forum

Post by andiron » Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:44 pm

Hi,

I'm from SE London and started recently with Garrett 300i, works great - although so far used it in my garden and on dry sand beaches :) So your one is a better version and works better.

One thing I would do before buying is to read about permissions and trying to get some as they really hard to get (even my partner parents said no to me searching their garden as they don't want their lawn to be damaged B-) ) - the only place I know you could search in London is river Thames in some places after applying for £80 permit.

Good luck though!

littleboot

Post by littleboot » Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:18 pm

Hi and welcome.
You have made a sound choice of machine. Lots of people start with Garretts that are less powerful versions of yours. The 400i is very capable mid-range machine that can serve you far beyond the 'newbie stage. In the end it isn't the changing up machines that makes you a successful detectorist...its how much you learn from the machine you have and how well you master it.
Drop in to the Garrett thread ( l;/ scrolldown the side-bar to the Metal Detectors section) and you will find more specific topics there as well as hints and tips from those experienced with that model.
Equinox 600, GMP, wellies.

Ladybird66

Post by Ladybird66 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:39 pm

Hello and welcome. As previously said check for somewhere to detect, first and foremost. Can’t be anything more demoralising than having a shiney new machine and nowhere to go. I’ve seen a few reports from members on this subject.
There are always organised digs but it ends up being an expensive way to detect.
The Garrett has always been a very popular first machine but the 400i is relatively new and more sophisticated than its early brothers .
Many a great find has come up, even with the 250.

Personal question ! Is Hawkins your real name or wishful thinking ? :D

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:16 pm

Hello Jim Hawkins. A warm welcome aboard the forums ::g (I'll spare you the obvious sea faring comments). You've already gained some excellent advice from our members above so that just leave me to recommend taking a look at our very informative Forum Guide which contains essential reading for both new members to the forum and newcomers to the hobby. You'll find it at the top of this page together with the Forum Rules. You may be interested in the excellent section which covers searching the Thames Foreshore together with the legal requirements.

Good Luck and enjoy your time with us on the MDF ::g Regards ss47
A disservice is no service at all.

FUBAR

Post by FUBAR » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:02 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum. I started off with the Garret Ace 250A long time ago and it was a great tore machine. I now use the ctx3030. Anyway good luck and may the Gods grant you many finds. Greetings from East Riding.

pengles

Post by pengles » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:38 am

Welcome to an addictive hobby

I started off with a Garrett Ace 250 and it was a brilliant machine. Found some good stuff with it. You won't be disappointed. Good luck with permissions and enjoy your machine.
XP Deus Light
GP pointer

Bradrick

Post by Bradrick » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:49 am

Hi and welcome Jim

As said above, the 400i is an excellent machine and will serve you for a long time, without the need to 'upgrade' unless you want to.

I lived in NW London for 30 years, so just to reiterate the point about permissions: NW London is a very difficult area to find them, and I would work hard to secure one asap if I were you (or be willing to travel a bit).

Brad
Equinox 800
Garrett Ace 400i
C-Scope 1220b

“My life has been full of terrible misfortunes most of which never happened.”

mrcheeky

Post by mrcheeky » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:00 am

Hello mate i started with the 400i great machines and some easy to use features also some great videos of it on youtube . good luck enjoy
South London Metal Detector

Jim hawkins

Post by Jim hawkins » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:34 pm

Thanks to everyone for the replies,I would like to thank everyone individually but I’m not too sure how to do it, I’m just getting the feel of the forums workings at the moment,so I will thank everybody eveveryone eventually once I get to grips with the site👍👍👍

Jim hawkins

Post by Jim hawkins » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:40 pm

sweepstick47 wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:16 pm
Hello Jim Hawkins. A warm welcome aboard the forums ::g (I'll spare you the obvious sea faring comments). You've already gained some excellent advice from our members above so that just leave me to recommend taking a look at our very informative Forum Guide which contains essential reading for both new members to the forum and newcomers to the hobby. You'll find it at the top of this page together with the Forum Rules. You may be interested in the excellent section which covers searching the Thames Foreshore together with the legal requirements.

Good Luck and enjoy your time with us on the MDF ::g Regards ss47
Thanks mate, I will give all the info a good read,cheers 👍

mrcheeky

Post by mrcheeky » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:49 pm

great machine youll have lots of fun with it. works awsome on the beach to good luck mate
South London Metal Detector

Return to “Introduce yourself here Forum”