Helloooooo

This is not compulsory but if you would like to tell us a little about yourself then post here.
CaptainKlunk

Helloooooo

Post by CaptainKlunk » Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:00 pm

I'm Shaun from Great Yarmouth and I'm looking to get into metal detecting.
I have no idea what is a good beginners detector is. I have about £70 that I'm willing to use to buy one just to start on the local beach. Any suggestions ?

Many Thanks,

Shaun

sweepstick47

Re: Helloooooo

Post by sweepstick47 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:21 pm

Hello Shaun, Welcome aboard the forums and enjoy you time with us on the MDF.
I'd suggest looking at the s/h market to meet your budget and In order to prevent the potential for disappointment, avoid on-line auction sites.

Contacting your nearest dealership would be my advice - Good Luck ::g Regards ss47
A disservice is no service at all.

Oxgirl36

Post by Oxgirl36 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:31 pm

Hi Shaun and welcome. I’m afraid £70, even in the second hand market, won’t be enough to get you a beach detector that will do anything other than make you want to smash it on the rocks within an hour. Sorry :( . If I were you I’d wait till you can afford at least £150 (ideally over £200), even then you are looking at second hand.

I hope you enjoy the hobby when you do get set up ::g
Carpe vinum

XP Deus !!£$ I use the HOT programme on 17khz, reactivity at 2.5 on v5.21 with the X35 11” coil

Hammered silver 2019 - 20 8=ypr

FUBAR

Post by FUBAR » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:37 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum. I agree with Oxgirl,save your money as she suggests and the buy a good quality second hand detector.

metalmania

Post by metalmania » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:31 am

Welcome to the forum and the hobby Shaun,

i have to agree with everyone, you would do better to save up your money,

and as your new to the hobby it is probably best to visit a metal detector shop, if there is one near you,
that way you can have a look at what is available and handle the machines see whats ones are more comfortable for you( your the one that's going to be swinging it for hours on end ) and the ones that you get on with the settings of better, plus you can talk to them most detector shops have refurbished and used machines available, and can you give you lots of helpful advice.

in todays market £70 wont get you a lot maybe one of the garrett machines or maybe if your lucky a 30 or 40 year old used machine.
and as your new to metal detecting definitely dont buy one from an auction site as you wont know if you getting a dud or not, there are some unscrupulous people out there

Hope you do find a machine it can be a great hobby
Cheers Pip

Return to “Introduce yourself here Forum”