Want to learn all about detecting? Newbie (and others) Training Day 11th May

Please post any metal detecting Events or Rallies here.
Saffron

Re: Want to learn all about detecting? Newbie (and others) Training Day 11th May

Post by Saffron » Tue May 07, 2019 8:25 pm

Sorry but only just catching up with this thread.
Originally said I would help mentor, but seeing both Fred and Bargeman are also down as mentors and use the Nox think I will hide and just listen to what they say instead as I am sure they know a lot more than myself ::g ::g

Should I have put my name down for detecting on both Friday and Saturday as well?, ditto for camping (as 1 night more likely to kip in car than mess around with tent) IF good weather.
If wet or cold will drive home to a nice comfortable and warm bed :D

Evan

WeatherWitch

Re: Want to learn all about detecting? Newbie (and others) Training Day 11th May

Post by WeatherWitch » Tue May 07, 2019 8:59 pm

Dumb newbie question regarding footwear if I may?

I have never detected anything other than beaches and normally wear surf shoes (Summer) or Wellies (Winter)
So wondering what to wear for fields?

I have some hiking boots, wellies, or just trainers?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Mark
CScope CS4PI
Equinox 800

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Tue May 07, 2019 9:07 pm

Hi WeatherWitch, Given the current weather and ground conditions, personally I'd choose to bring good stout boots (should the ground be very hard) and also a pair of wellies in case we are blighted by a sudden downpour, although the weather forecast is quite good..........at the moment!
Look forward to seeing you there. Cheers - ss47
A disservice is no service at all.

Saffron

Post by Saffron » Tue May 07, 2019 9:11 pm

WeatherWitch wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 8:59 pm
Dumb newbie question regarding footwear if I may?

I have never detected anything other than beaches and normally wear surf shoes (Summer) or Wellies (Winter)
So wondering what to wear for fields?

I have some hiking boots, wellies, or just trainers?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Mark
Depends on conditions !
If wet wellies are fine. If dry and on level ground trainers are fine. The bulk of my detecting will be in one or the other.

But if detecting on rough ground or ploughed (that has not been rolled) then some thing giving more support to the ankles can be an advantage. Hiking boots can be fine in this situation BUT you have to be a bit more careful and ensure that when detecting you walk at a slow pace (which is never a bad thing), as if walking faster and therefore taking a longer stride you are apt to detect the metal eyelets in them! ... we have ALL done it at some time.

Evan

WeatherWitch

Post by WeatherWitch » Tue May 07, 2019 9:12 pm

Thank you both :)
CScope CS4PI
Equinox 800

liamnolan
Location: Hemswell, Lincolnshire. originally from Dublin, southern Ireland

Post by liamnolan » Tue May 07, 2019 10:11 pm

NCMD/FID memberships - Just been chatting with Ian and there is no need to be a member of the NCMD or FID, to attend this event. The NCMD rep will be there to explain the benefits and will have application forms for all if you wish. I sent three invites to the FID and never got a reply.
So ... NO NEED FOR FID OR NCMD MEMBERSHIPS TO ATTEND THIS EVENT.
Looking forward to meeting you all, don't forget to bring CASH for payment and raffle tickets, three detecting companies so far have promised some prizes, looks like Tudor Arms is the place for a pint on Fri evening, cheers, Liam OooO

Apologies to those whose posts relating to NCMD/FID memberships I have now deleted as things have now changed re all that.
Deus, WSi's - In the end we will regret the chances we didn't take, the relationships we were afraid to have and decisions we waited too long to make .. Spokesperson Irish Metal Detecting Society IMDS Vice President European Council for Metal Detecting

Bargeman

Post by Bargeman » Wed May 08, 2019 10:33 am

Well here is bad news, we have had a problem arise at work, and I now have to be there this weekend, so I now have to pull out of the rally this weekend B| sorry.

I just can't get a break at the moment, not been detecting for weeks, and was really looking forward to the weekend.

BM :(

Walk that line, torn apart
spend your whole life trying.
Ride that train, free your heart,
it's midnight up in Harlem.

Midnight in Harlem, Tedeschi Trucks Band

nubsey

Post by nubsey » Wed May 08, 2019 11:25 am

Put me down for a cold buffet please. Nubsey
Nox 800
Tesoro silver sabre U max

Saki

Post by Saki » Wed May 08, 2019 11:34 am

Really wish I could make this event.
My hat comes off to you amazing guys/Gals organising this. Its such a well organised and much needed event.
Fair play to you

Enjoy, ::g Enjoy, :D Enjoy :))
Ace400i with Nel Thunder
Garrett Carrot
CScope CS2M
Wish list: MINELAB EQUINOX 800.

"A little inaccuracy sometimes saves tons of explanation."

liamnolan

Post by liamnolan » Wed May 08, 2019 12:28 pm

Thanks, helping friends is never daunting, they would help others in the same way I am sure. ALL monies raised goes to local charities, should be a tiring but rewarding two days, Liam ::g
PS - some spaces still available as some have had to drop out ..
Deus, WSi's - In the end we will regret the chances we didn't take, the relationships we were afraid to have and decisions we waited too long to make .. Spokesperson Irish Metal Detecting Society IMDS Vice President European Council for Metal Detecting

liamnolan

Post by liamnolan » Wed May 08, 2019 12:34 pm

Kevin/Bargeman, thanks for letting us know, you will be missed! Re British Bikes, was chatting with Nigel from Regtons who is providing some raffle prizes and he spotted that I was into British bikes. Turns out he is well ahead f the game and here is what he says ..
"Hi Liam,
Had my bike on the Classic bike show Scott stand two weeks ago, we won best club stand at show……& last year came second in local bike show, last ran in 1960’s been a basket case till May 2 yrs ago when I bought her, took 9 months to get all up & running with correct nickel plated parts (chrome came in 1930), parts from all over world inc. India, brakes are crap, goes very well for age around 20BHP which means can be ridden amongst traffic safely ish, rigid rear end & girder forks means those potholes have to be spotted well in advance though. I’ll get a few bits out to you for delivery tomorrow Liam, good luck with the ‘do’

Nigel is absolutely top class, you two need to chat! (if not already)

Liam :;@

Zyrbalax

Post by Zyrbalax » Wed May 08, 2019 7:58 pm

Cold buffet for me too please.

And I would like to join the Friday detecting session as well if that’s ok, although I won’t be camping/staying over.

Many thanks
Z
Minelab Safari

"There's treasure everywhere!" (Calvin & Hobbes / Watterson)

Best find 2019: Robert III of Bethune - Alost Penny 1305-1322

liamnolan

Post by liamnolan » Thu May 09, 2019 11:47 am

Getting very near now, still places for anyone who wants to attend, just get your name on here, Liam ::g

mousytrap

Post by mousytrap » Thu May 09, 2019 2:38 pm

I'm still OK for the weekend, camping in car at the venue. (I ought to be vacuuming out the car as we speak...) Cold buffet sounds good if not too late to sign up for it, otherwise I will make sure I've got sufficient grub with me.

Glad about the NCMD as mine expired in March and I didn't get around to renewing yet!!!

Paula

Saffron

Post by Saffron » Thu May 09, 2019 3:10 pm

I am in the north of the county.

If purton is getting the same weather as here the good news is that the gound will be much softer to dig than it would have been last weekend .... (its been wet most of yesterday and today!).

Friday evening and Saturday look better, but make sure you have some waterproof gear as there is a chance of rain showers.
However, I do not think you need wory too much about sun tan lotion.

But starting to suspect that a nice warm bed might be calling on Friday night rather than a tent. Yes I know I am a soft whimp.

Evan

Lowland

Post by Lowland » Thu May 09, 2019 3:16 pm

Good luck to everybody attending,have fun ::g
Shiny equinox600- taped up spade-dodgy elbow
.....................deeper bliss......................

WeatherWitch

Post by WeatherWitch » Thu May 09, 2019 4:01 pm

Cold buffet for me too please, if it's not too late?

Sod's law, my new NCMD card arrived yesterday :D
CScope CS4PI
Equinox 800

liamnolan

Post by liamnolan » Thu May 09, 2019 5:41 pm

Hi all, just been on the phone with Eric (sweepstick47) and checking the arrangements for our pilgrimage to the SW tomorrow morning. I have had two boxes arrive with raffle prizes, from C-Scope and Regton, another one has not turned up (yet) Weather seems promising, but do bring extra clothing, not good fun if you suddenly get cold and wet.
I am sure Ian will be busy on site, running around checking everything in advance.
Safe journey everyone, arrive alive, been spending all today organising other international detecting meetings and speakers, but this is one event that I will certainly enjoy, Liam :;@

WeatherWitch

Post by WeatherWitch » Thu May 09, 2019 7:06 pm

A big Thank You to all involved in arranging this.

Can't wait to meet everyone ::g

Kind Regards,

Mark
CScope CS4PI
Equinox 800

coil

Post by coil » Thu May 09, 2019 7:11 pm

Enjoy good luck to everyone going hope you learn loads ::g

Saffron

Post by Saffron » Thu May 09, 2019 8:00 pm

There are TWO certainties for this training day.

The first is that at least one of the lecturers or "experts" will use some terms that you do not know, do not be afraid to ask what they mean!
But for the longer term here is a very good list of Metal Detecting Terminology
https://www.minelab.com/__files/f/5342/ ... nology.pdf

Also on the same Minelab "knowledge" page these look useful (the first is very good for newbies, but the second is a bit "heavier" reading)
https://www.minelab.com/__files/f/12475 ... ration.pdf
https://www.minelab.com/__files/f/11043 ... Theory.pdf

The second certainty is that if I detect for more than 10 minute I will find some junk ;;z

Evan

Kritika

Post by Kritika » Thu May 09, 2019 10:20 pm

See you all tomorrow, cant wait 98;
XP Deus 11' x35, NCMD Member, full of hope and generous nature ::g

paint

Post by paint » Thu May 09, 2019 11:05 pm

looking forward to meeting everyone this weekend can,t promise amazing finds but if everyone learns something and friendships are forged it will be a success
Cheers Paint

IoD

Post by IoD » Fri May 10, 2019 8:35 am

I'm very much looking forward to giving the 11am talk at tomorrow's Training Day. Its great to see such interest in the event, thank you to the organisers for the invite and congratulations on the initiative.
Yours, Keith Westcott
The Association of Detectorists & The Detectorists Foundation

liamnolan

Post by liamnolan » Fri May 10, 2019 8:58 am

Thanks Keith, I am looking forward to listening to your chat. The future of the hobby relies on it being steered in the right direction in regards to how we unearth the finds and then what we do with them afterwards. Weather forecast looks fine ::g
Don't forget to bring cash for the event entry and for the raffle tickets, Liam OooO

Telstar

Post by Telstar » Fri May 10, 2019 3:00 pm

Hi, sorry been away from the computer and this thread for a while, should we have signed up for food?

Cold buffet is ok for me if not too late, no probs if it is as it's obviously cutting it very fine, I'll just pick up something on the way.

Kev

shaggybfc

Post by shaggybfc » Fri May 10, 2019 3:13 pm

Good luck all. Great initiative delivered by some great people. Looks like you have the weather to boot.
Enjoy.
Andi
XP Deus, 11" X35 coil, WS4 back-phones, remote and an empty bank balance. XP MI 6 pin pointer. Garrett Ace 250 wireless MPow set up.
They told me I’d never be any good at poetry, because I’m dyslexic, but so far I’ve made 3 jugs and a vase.

stevechelt

Post by stevechelt » Fri May 10, 2019 3:30 pm

I am really looking forward to it and will partake of the buffet if there is one, but will also bring a bit of grub for good measure.

Plus, I have a new machine to christen as well as a new detecting digger!
Tesoro Silver & Royal Sabres (about 30 years old)
Rutus Alter 71

mousytrap

Post by mousytrap » Fri May 10, 2019 4:54 pm

It's now looking like I'll miss the pub session and have to make straight for the farm to park up later tonight. Still at the hospital and they've decided I've got a clot in my leg. Waiting 3 hrs to see a doc since the scan at half one and no end in site (except to my battery charge!!!!) 24pc and counting...

Paula

PS Fuming...

mousytrap

Post by mousytrap » Fri May 10, 2019 8:21 pm

ETA about 23:00

Return to “Rallies Forum”