metal detecting rally in Conwy 25/26 may?

Please post any metal detecting Events or Rallies here.
eskimodigger

metal detecting rally in Conwy 25/26 may?

Post by eskimodigger » Sun May 19, 2019 10:27 am

Hi all,
Has anyone heard of a metal detecting rally in Conwy County next weekend? I had a facebook link sent to me by a friend and sounds good (150 acres around roman fort at Caerhun) but Im a bit sceptical as it doesnt seem to appear anywhere on the web, pay upfront (only£20 for the weekend). I have messaged the organiser this morning but no reply yet (it was only an hour ago). It sounds legit but you never know these days..... x;

Bors

Re: metal detecting rally in Conwy 25/26 may?

Post by Bors » Sun May 19, 2019 10:31 am

Its an unusual time of the year to hold a Rally. !! x;
Crops are shooting up ,Grass is rocketing up, not the best of times methinks unless its on a fresh cut silage field..

Guppy

Post by Guppy » Sun May 19, 2019 10:40 am

Interesting... very interesting.

Please keep this post updated as Its not a million miles from me, and I'd be up for it also ::g

Koala

Post by Koala » Sun May 19, 2019 11:26 am

Bors wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 10:31 am
Its an unusual time of the year to hold a Rally. !! x;
Crops are shooting up ,Grass is rocketing up, not the best of times methinks unless its on a fresh cut silage field..
I wouldn't be worried about the grass

its unlikely the 4 legged mowers will let it grow more than a few mm

Koala

Post by Koala » Sun May 19, 2019 11:33 am

eskimodigger wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 10:27 am
Hi all,
Has anyone heard of a metal detecting rally in Conwy County next weekend? I had a facebook link sent to me by a friend and sounds good (150 acres around roman fort at Caerhun) but Im a bit sceptical as it doesnt seem to appear anywhere on the web, pay upfront (only£20 for the weekend). I have messaged the organiser this morning but no reply yet (it was only an hour ago). It sounds legit but you never know these days..... x;

I take its not literally around the Fort. But a mile down the road ?

the Fort and surrounding area is a scheduled monument ? with a shrine, long house, bathhouse Dock, cemetery and settlement

Machinist

Post by Machinist » Sun May 19, 2019 12:16 pm

Facebook link passed on, money up front, Roman Fort and not generally advertised. Lots of big red flags there, personally a 10 foot barge poll would not be long enough to keep me away from that. Hope I am wrong.

Ray
It's all the Headless Hunters fault !!

Member of South Yorkshire MDC

Oxgirl36

Post by Oxgirl36 » Sun May 19, 2019 12:44 pm

With the rise of organised professional digs the reports of dodgy rallies where the organisers run off with the money have all but dried up. I have heard tails of all sorts of dodgy schemes in the past, leaving the detectorists involved ripped off, embarrassed and potentially in a very bad postion legally.

I hope this isn’t the case here ::g
XP Deus !!£$ I use the HOT programme on 17khz, reactivity at 2.5 on v5.21 with the X35 11” coil

Hammered silver 2019 - 13 x;

lonecoiler

Post by lonecoiler » Sun May 19, 2019 1:06 pm

Only£20.00 for the weekend! If it sounds to good to be true............... :;@
Garrett Ace 250 with NEL Tornado coil.
C.Scope CS4PI

So many fields, so few permissions

GeorgeMK

Post by GeorgeMK » Sun May 19, 2019 1:11 pm

Facebook links not allowed on here, but this is what I found on a Facebook search.

It is listed on the “Llandudno and areas, Buy, Sell and swap (no rules and no limitations)” page.

The following is the description,

“Metal detecting event
Open to everyone
Event will be on 25th & 26th may
Option to camp the sat for £10 then £10 per day detecting
150acres approx will be split between the 2 days
Great land very close to caerhun roman fort in conwy valley
Some fields ploughed in passed and roman horse accessories found by farmer
Click going on event and pay by PayPal to secure your place”

There is then a link that does not work!

eskimodigger

Post by eskimodigger » Sun May 19, 2019 2:40 pm

Hi all,
Thank you for the advice. No response yet but wasnt going to pay up front anyway. In terms of detecting, I have a few small permissions in that area and have never really found anything interesting anyway (my permissions are within a mile or less radius of the SAM fort/church).

eskimodigger

Post by eskimodigger » Sun May 19, 2019 11:00 pm

Just had a reply and an invite to join the facebook group, some people are paying on the day so nothing to loose by turning up as its only down the road for me - will let you know what happens.

Bors

Post by Bors » Mon May 20, 2019 9:50 am

eskimodigger wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 11:00 pm
Just had a reply and an invite to join the facebook group, some people are paying on the day so nothing to loose by turning up as its only down the road for me - will let you know what happens.

Hmmm ,Good Luck ! I live in that Area too, and it`s never been very kind to detectorists to my knowledge .Well, It cannot be compared by any means on the same scale as to some of the more lucrative Southern English sites in the UK anyway .
But !! you never know, you can only give it a whirl and see what your lucks like on the day .

Dr Quayle

Post by Dr Quayle » Wed May 22, 2019 11:37 am

I am a member of this club and yes there is a dig on the 25/25 May, no doubt it will not be the fort it's self but fields around it, also you can pay on day
Last edited by Dr Quayle on Wed May 22, 2019 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Saffron

Post by Saffron » Wed May 22, 2019 2:27 pm

There is a certain amount of protection as its pay by PayPal. Unlike BACs transfer where you do it at your own risk (and this was the method used by some of the scams in the past).

Especially in view of the post by Dr Quayle and the fact that they now say you can pay on the day it now sounds legit.

Low cost, (compared with digs in England as I do not know the norm for that area), might be because as others have said finds in that area might be limited (largely due to Edward I helping himself and bringing anything of value back to England).

IF I was local I would certainly give it a go at that price.

Evan

Guppy

Post by Guppy » Wed May 22, 2019 9:03 pm

Saffron wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 2:27 pm

Low cost, (compared with digs in England as I do not know the norm for that area), might be because as others have said finds in that area might be limited (largely due to Edward I helping himself and bringing anything of value back to England).

Hopefully he dropped some booty in the process :D

Saffron

Post by Saffron » Sun May 26, 2019 12:54 am

I have just done a long post on this thread. So long that while doing it the system logged me off the forum so it was lost B| B| B| B| B| B| B| B|

So I will try again and keep submitting then editing, as at "supid o'clock" I doubt if many will see it before I have finished anyway.

Guppy and myself attended this event today (Saturday).

Due to some negative and cynical posts on the thread I would like to give an update, and those that know me will confirm that I am cynical!.

It was a last minute decision to go to this event. So like the OP I tried the link provided, and it failed. So I contacted Samantha on FB late on Friday night and she could not have been more helpful.

The event was run by a FB group "North Wales - Metal Detecting" and the about page says -
"Brand new detecting group for 2019
Everyone welcome
Feel free to make discussions show your finds ask for advice etc make buddies to go out with.
Once we have established group I will organise so digs on some permissions we have."

Samantha is an admin.

First issue raised on this thread was that the link did not work. I had the same problem!. This seems to be because the FB group is a closed group. Samantha quickly added me to it and I could then see all the details for the event, including a map of the site.
She will look into this.

As for the "pay up front via paypal" this ensured your place. Nearer the time they allowed "pay on the day" but if you had used paypal it guaranted your place and if the event had sold out pay on the day would not have been allowed. Very logical.

As for the time of year this is all on grass pasture with sheep, so crops are not an issue, nor is the length of grass because as Koala said "the 4 legged mowers" ensured it was not too long.

With it being a Bank Holiday making it a weekender was also logical, and the event had both toilets and running water.

The cost was also raised, to me £10 per day seemed very cheap (but I know that costs vary around the country). However this is NOT a commercial set up and ALL the money goes to the landowner. Unlike a lot of £15/£20 events where only £10 goes to the land owner.

"the Fort and surrounding area is a scheduled monument ?" was said, I did not check but I suspect and hope that it is. However the map clearly showed that it was very close to the fort but not on it.

I am willing to be corrected but hopefully the above has explained and clarified all the issues raised.

As for the day itself.
It could have been sign posted, myself and another couple of detectorists spent 30 minutes driving around in circles B| . I was told "The signs kept falling off!". A local also said that in that area a post code covers a large area (I had worked that out!). Anybody knowing the area and using the map could have found the exact location OK but for "outsiders" it was not easy.

As for the briefing before detecting .... I have no idea due to the above!.
But when I arrived the marshal explained where we could detect.
Samantha and the marshals, one wearing a "First Aider" high viz top were all very friendly.

There was masses of ground for everybody (I think 52 on FB said "attending" and others "maybe", but this was over the weekend and some would have attended on one day only (there were less than that there on Saturday)). In total there were 150 acres, some of which had been held back for Sunday. Certainly a lot better than on most "commercial" digs.

As for finds it was obvious to everybody who even glanced at the map that this was rather "out in the wilds" so you would not be "tripping over finds" and that was confirmed by earlier post from locals in this thread. So the Roman Fort was the attraction (why do you think I went?).
I only spoke to some of the detectorists so do not know the full story, however I am aware of the following:-
A Roman fibula.
A selection of Roman coins (although those that I saw were in very poor condition).
Some "Very nice (Roman) pottery"
At least 4 hammered coins (I suspect slightly more), and the James I (tbc) shilling I saw was nice.
Lots of Georgian / Victorian / unidentified coppers.
Several milled silvers.
Buckles and all the normal "Odds and sods".

As for Guppy and myself.
He had a small hammered, fair condition by detecting standards, and a 1837 William IV groat (not that the young whippersnapper knew that there was a 4 pence coin) which I really liked.
As for me?. Come on play fair folks!. It was potentially a Roman site, you could go to a monastry in Outer Mongolia and mention Roman finds and my name and the monks would roll around on the floor laughing because everybody knows I NEVER find Roman, so my best was a QEII sixpence.

So to the bottom line.
Do I trust this group .... YES.
Will I go with them again .... YES (but due to a 4 hour drive each way probably have to tie it in with something or make at least a few days in the area).
Do I think the dig was value for money .... YES, despite my limited finds.

Guppy,
really good to meet you today and talk.
I hope you do not mind me stealing your thunder with those finds, but I wanted to respond to this thread. Do please put up photos of that hammered as I am certain that you will get a full ID of the monarch and date (to at least a narrow range) and probabaly a bit more information.
Do get a copy of "Spinks", the book I showed you. No need for the current version as one a couple of years old can be got for only a few pounds. They are great for helping get IDs but also contain lots of very valuable background information.

Evan

Blackadder43

Post by Blackadder43 » Sun May 26, 2019 8:51 am

Fantastic write up Evan, and certainly what was needed on this thread
Its always better when members of the public give feedback like this ::g

Regarding your logging off:
If on a PC then when logging in you can click the keep me logged in box and you should be cool, phones and tablets are different and will log you out in 1 hour if you are not active (writing a post doesnt count as being active apparently lol )
Get into the habit of highlighting and copying your text after each paragraph, then should the worst happen just paste it back in, but i am 100% sure you know all that and it was just an late night/early morning thing ::g =))
When you are right no one remembers; when you are wrong no one forgets

Bors

Post by Bors » Sun May 26, 2019 10:14 am

Yes, a very concise and informative write up. Actually, I enjoy reading such posts as they are actually doing what a Forum is intended to do and that's to exchange views and be informative all in one.

Quote saffron,..." Will I go with them again .... YES (but due to a 4 hour drive each way probably have to tie it in with something or make at least a few days in the area)."

Well I did say.......
"Hmmm, Good Luck ! I live in that Area too, and it`s never been very kind to detectorists."

So for a traveling time of 8hrs, I would be certainly wanting a better return for my time and petrol money, (at the astronomic price it's getting) as It has to be said through the experience of doing it for 40 years, this area sadly is notoriously stingy in what it gives up out the ground. :)) But saying that, I suppose it all depends on what one sees as a good return. Some can find very little but see it as a Good days detecting. Its all down to how you see it as we all see things differently.
Last edited by Bors on Sun May 26, 2019 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Guppy

Post by Guppy » Sun May 26, 2019 10:49 am

Saffron wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 12:54 am

Guppy,
really good to meet you today and talk.
I hope you do not mind me stealing your thunder with those finds, but I wanted to respond to this thread. Do please put up photos of that hammered as I am certain that you will get a full ID of the monarch and date (to at least a narrow range) and probabaly a bit more information.
Do get a copy of "Spinks", the book I showed you. No need for the current version as one a couple of years old can be got for only a few pounds. They are great for helping get IDs but also contain lots of very valuable background information.

Evan

A great write up Evan. It was great to meet yesterday Also, hopefully if you plan on attending any future rallies nearer your neck of the woods? then it would be great to catch up with you again.

This was my first rally/club meeting and I had a thoroughly good day... not just in finds but also rubbing shoulders with fellow detectorists who were both friendly and helpful. A well organised event (I found the location no problem :P) and a good turnout for such a new group... I'll definitely be attending more!

As Evan states, there were some good finds on the day and having seen the photos on the FB group page there were many more than i realised.

Happy hunting for those of you who are also detecting today ::g

Saffron

Post by Saffron » Sun May 26, 2019 11:55 am

Blackadder43 wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 8:51 am
Fantastic write up Evan, and certainly what was needed on this thread
Its always better when members of the public give feedback like this ::g

Regarding your logging off:
If on a PC then when logging in you can click the keep me logged in box and you should be cool, phones and tablets are different and will log you out in 1 hour if you are not active (writing a post doesnt count as being active apparently lol )
Get into the habit of highlighting and copying your text after each paragraph, then should the worst happen just paste it back in, but i am 100% sure you know all that and it was just an late night/early morning thing ::g =))
BA, Glad you appreciated the write up.

Good advice about the logging off issue. ::g ::g
Its that "writing a post doesnt count as being active apparently" which caught me out, it has before so I was aware of it ;;z ;;z
But time of night after 8 hours driving and walking around fields all day meant brain was not at its best ;;z ;;z

Evan

eskimodigger

Post by eskimodigger » Mon May 27, 2019 7:28 pm

Just to say thank you to all for their replies. Yes, it did happen, yes it was a good event! First impressions on Facebook made it seem a bit dodgy but nothing to worry about in the end. Finds came up thick and fast on the first day. Not so many detectorists the second day and the finds mirrored that (but a lot more ground). I think someone mentioned signage wasnt great, didnt affect me as I am semi-local but can imagine it would be difficult to find digs if you didnt know the area. Overall a good event with friendly detectorists in a good area.

Saffron

Post by Saffron » Mon May 27, 2019 11:08 pm

eskimodigger wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 7:28 pm
Just to say thank you to all for their replies. Yes, it did happen, yes it was a good event! First impressions on Facebook made it seem a bit dodgy but nothing to worry about in the end. Finds came up thick and fast on the first day. Not so many detectorists the second day and the finds mirrored that (but a lot more ground). I think someone mentioned signage wasnt great, didnt affect me as I am semi-local but can imagine it would be difficult to find digs if you didnt know the area. Overall a good event with friendly detectorists in a good area.
I looked on FB and saw that a fair bit more was found on Saturday than I knew about, including a gold ring, and it looked a fairly similar mixture on the Sunday.

It looks as if on both days some nice finds were made by some while others struggled finds wise, but Bors had warned us that the general area was "not kind to detectorists". I certainly would have liked more finds but on the other hand I am certain that Guppy was very happy with his, I would have been if they had been mine!. Its largely the luck of the draw, there was plenty of land and items in it ... I did find "junk" so it was not like there was nothing there or it had been detected to death.

What everybody, including those that found little, is saying on both FB and here is about it being a good event and how friendly it was.

It was me that mentioned (the lack of!) signage, there was actually a post put up on FB on Saturday morning giving better information about directions that made the site very easy to find .... but it was put up AFTER I had left home. My issue was not helped by running the post code through AA route planner at home, so I thought I had a fair idea, but then my in car SatNav had a different location for the same post code. Also IF I had printed the map of FB and taken rather than rely on the postcode that would have made it much easier.

Evan

Blackadder43

Post by Blackadder43 » Tue May 28, 2019 9:07 am

Will close comments on this one now as we have started to drift into off topic territory
This rally was a success by the sounds of it, well done to the organisers ::g

Note:
Some off topic comments have been removed
When you are right no one remembers; when you are wrong no one forgets

Return to “Rallies Forum”