Sussex - Charity Rally 18th August UNDETECTED cut meadow

Please post any metal detecting Events or Rallies here.
Saffron

Re: Sussex - Charity Rally 18th August UNDETECTED cut meadow

Post by Saffron »

I know where my priorities lie ...

First of all a massive thank you to ............ Tamsyn for the food!.
A charming young lady that does so much to raise funds for the deserving Hamsey old church charity.

Secondly to Tony the landowner, and his wife (sorry I do not remember her name), for letting us detect on the land.
Over the years I have been on many digs and I have never known a land owner spend the vast bulk of the day with the detectorists and show such an interest. Fantastic to see.

The companies and people that provided the prizes for the raffle. I even won a T-shirt (I hope it fits!).

Finally to some Irish chap that organised it.

Obviously you should ignore the above order as to organise an event like this takes a massive amount of time and effort, so a massive thanks to Liam for organising the event. I was on the village club committee for several years, and it was surprising how much time and work that was required for what might seem a "simple event" to the members took to organise. So very many thanks Liam for your efforts in organising this it must have taken a lot of time and work.

There is a reason for saying that the Irish have the gift of the blarney, and I do not know how much Liam used it on Tony. But without Tony there would have been no land and no event. Every weekend there are detecting rallies all over the country where the organisers give the landowner £10 (or what ever sum) per detectorist, and the landowner pockets the money and is never seen. But here firstly the money went to charity, but as said previously he took a real interest in what was found and talking to people. IF only all landowners were like this.

I do feel sorry for Tamsyn, why does she keep letting her father drag her into this type of event?. I think Liam might have summed it up in his speech at the start - she is type of young lady that is willing to put herself out to help others. I could ask ten other ladies of her age what they would like to do on a Sunday, but I bet none of them would say "be in a field cooking bacon baps and hot dogs" (and some know I am willing to have a gamble). Thanks Tamsyn you are a star and any man would be proud to have you as a daughter. I am certain that your efforts helped raise the total towards a good cause.

I said about the companies and people that provided the prizes for the raffle. I suspect that most who attended spent at least £5 on the raffle, so thank you for the generous prizes that added to the amount raised for the charity.

But in the above there is one group that I failed to mention without which the event would have been a total failure. The dectorists. I know that like myself many traveled a significant distance, and sadly a lot found very little (but that is metal detecting). However there is a lot more to metal detecting than just the finds, today was a prime example - out in the countryside in the sunshine (OK I am ignoring the one rain storm at the start!), enjoying a hobby you love, meeting like minded people, and maybe (just maybe) the chance of a great find.

I will be honest, as always, regarding finds today was one of the worst I have ever had on an organised dig. But do I care? - read the above. Very sadly some people only worry about finds - there is so much more to this fantastic hobby, especially when involving a charity.

Today I talked to people with "entry level" detectors, and at the other end of the spectrum people with "top of the range" detectors and thier own youtube channel, but we all had the same interest. So if you have never been on an organised dig if you see a charity one near you why not go?.

Liam, many thanks for organising and do please also thank your "favourite daughter" - she is a bit special.

Evan

Blackadder43
Admin

Post by Blackadder43 »

Great write up Evan, and at such an un-earthly time of the morning too
Glad it all went ok and Liams Daughter sounds like a good and kind girl, and obviously a great bacon and sausage bap maker too =))

Glad all the ingredients came together and made for a great day
Yes there is a lot of organising that goes on in the background that can easily be taken for granted

::g
When you are right no one remembers; when you are wrong no one forgets

Telstar

Post by Telstar »

I would just like to echo Saffron's and the other posters positive comments on yesterday, and say a huge thank you to Tamsyn, Liam. Tony, his wife and all concerned, for all the hard work involved in making such a great day.

I didn’t find anything of significance, but that's of secondary importance to being around like minded friendly people, doing what they enjoy, and for a good cause too.

I was the solo camper and I always think it’s something special to be in beautiful surrounding and be privileged to silently watch one day close and the new begin, so to see a few familiar faces, meet a couple of new ones and have the luxury of food and facilities all day made it rare occasion.

Brilliant day, thoroughly enjoyed it.

Kev

detecting rod

Post by detecting rod »

well as a newbie to detecting this was my first real dig ,it was so well organised and every one i met and spoke to was so helpful and welcoming ,a big thx to all the people who have been listed many times already ,for me it was about being out doing something im enjoying alot and also helping others with the charity side of it ,i didnt find huge mounts ,but i did have a huge amount of fun on the day,the knowledge that some have amazed me ,i found a few strange looking bits and within minutes i had an answer to what item they were and roughly what age ,so the main point here is if you are new to detecting dont not feel you cannot attend these events ,i was made totaly welcome ,was given lots of advice and had a fantastic day

Arch Stanton

Post by Arch Stanton »

I too would like to say a huge thank you to Liam, Tamsin and Tony for a very enjoyable day detecting. It was my first organised dig as I'm a shy guy and a bit of a loner, but it was so close to home I just had to go! I'm so glad I did, I was made to feel very welcome, and it made a nice change to talk to like-minded people. It has definitely been an ideal introduction to these kind of events and I will certainly look to attend more. Apart from finding enough lead to redo Hamsey church roof, I didn't uncover anything of note, but every beep was still as exciting as the first!
Thanks again to all involved and hope to see you again soon. Be lucky and keep those history-sticks swinging.
I've done the 'buckle boogie', the 'musket-ball mambo' and even the 'silver shuffle', but sadly still no 'gold dance'. You're really gonna know it when you see it though!

liamnolan
Location: Hemswell, Lincolnshire. originally from Dublin, southern Ireland

Post by liamnolan »

What a brilliant bunch of folk we have on here!
The forum is a really enjoyable place to share info and chat, make friends etc but meeting up for real is always such a pleasure. This event brought real people and usernames to life and each one contributed so much to making the day a success, so thanks so very much and from what Tamsyn says I think we raised well over £600 for the Hamsey Church and its charity work. As always, the cash will be handed over to those who work so hard for less privileged people.
I think I have to mention a few heroes who made things happen ..
Fred - what a fantastic bloke .. as always he was so knowledgeable and helpful, friendly to all and he also did a brilliant job of squeezing cash out of everyone for the raffle! He is without doubt a detectorist of supreme skill and he shared that knowledge and enthusiasm with everyone throughout the day. We are so very fortunate to have him involved in these events. Many came up to me during the day to express thanks for the help he was imparting. ::g
Alex Bliss (Wuntbedruv) - ex FLO and he knew EVERYTHING!! Its very rare to find a FLO who is also a skilled detectorist and Alex was always on hand to help sort out the finds.
Raffle prizes - I will do a better list later as I don't have the proper at hand but a big thanks to our own blackadder43 who sent along some super gloves, MRIX the MDF owner who has always supported MDF events in so many generous ways, Regtons/Nigel https://regton.com/who sent a box of assorted prizes, as did Tony Hunt of detectinginnovations https://www.detecting-innovations.co.uk/blog/
Tony (the farmer) Tony worked hard behind the scenes to prepare the land, the camp site, made a wonderful BBQ/fire, sorted out the portaloo, the car parking and stayed all day with his good wife to make sure everyone was cared for. He now wants to know when the next event is needed!
Tamsyn - my daughter ... l;. she pretty much organised the whole event, parish councilor, fundraiser, creator of so many good things happening in the local area and of course the fantastic array of food and drinks available all day, catering for all tastes and vegans and veggies. That was the end of my diet :(
Finds were pretty sparse, the land has a good history, Roay Manor next door, but it seems the metal finds were probably a bit deep and on top of clay, though some interesting coins, bag seals, buckles, badges and other bits did manage to see the light of day, pics to follow ..
I will sign off for now but thanks to all who came along, so good to be able to put faces to usernames and chat for real. You are all such a great crowd, a real pleasure to meet up with and lets hope we all manage to do it again later on! Liam :;@
Deus, WSi's - In the end we will regret the chances we didn't take, the relationships we were afraid to have and decisions we waited too long to make .. Spokesperson Irish Metal Detecting Society IMDS Vice President European Council for Metal Detecting

R4RJB

Post by R4RJB »

My wife Chris & I thoroughly enjoyed our day on Sunday. Thanks to Liam for organising such a good event. Thanks also to everyone else involved. Please don't leave it so long before the next one. :D

I found a few bits and pieces but my best was this fine looking barrel tap. The PAS website documents very similar taps and they date them from between 1750 and 1800.
Regards,
Richard
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nox 800 with Standard Coil
Garrett AT Pro-pointer

thefiggis

Post by thefiggis »

Sounds like everyone had a great time and that you can have one even if the finds don't leap out at you every swing if the company is good enough.

Sounds like it was more than good enough ::g
Essential equipment:
Some sort of electrical gubbins(I'm told it's a Deus). In various colours
Jenkins
Gin.

liamnolan
Location: Hemswell, Lincolnshire. originally from Dublin, southern Ireland

Post by liamnolan »

Latest in from Tamsyn; (My favourite daughter)
"Hi Dad,

Thanks for a great event at the weekend. I hope you're not too knackered...

We made a net total of £680 after Giftaid!

Tony managed to get £40 off the portaloo as the flusher ran out (in the morning, but maybe it worked in the day), which meant we made £544 after food expenses were taken out. Then Ronnie is paying it in as a donation and filling out the Giftaid form, so that add an extra 25%.

Please can you thank your brilliant detectorists for the generosity and good humour.

Much love,
YFD xxx

Every penny will get put to excellent use and bring some sunshine into otherwise dark and lonely lives, Liam :;@
Deus, WSi's - In the end we will regret the chances we didn't take, the relationships we were afraid to have and decisions we waited too long to make .. Spokesperson Irish Metal Detecting Society IMDS Vice President European Council for Metal Detecting

detecting rod

Post by detecting rod »

This little lot kept me busy and happy!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Rallies Forum”