GP Pointer Shell??

Please post all topics related to metal detecting pinpointers, probes here please.
MDF Auction - Metal Detecting Pinpointers
sparksville

GP Pointer Shell??

Post by sparksville » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:28 am

Good Morning,

My Garrett Pro Pointer 2 has a big hole in the end of it now after some heavy use and i have made several attempts to repair it but all failed.

My question is: do the Garrett pro pointers and the GP pointers have identical shells?

Can i remove the internals of my Garrett pro pointer2 and put them into the GP as a straight swap?

i know this maybe frowned upon and unethical to do but need must. I have tried to find a replacement shell for mine but they dont exist.

Any advise will be appreciated.

Sparksville :-)

sweepstick47

Re: GP Pointer Shell??

Post by sweepstick47 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:36 am

Your predicament is not easily answered as I doubt if it's been attempted before but as the saying goes, if you don't try it, perhaps you'll never know and there's nothing to lose. anyway ::g
Good Luck - Regards ss47
A disservice is no service at all.

f8met

Post by f8met » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:40 am

Regtons do genuine replacement shells for the series 1. May be worth calling them?

https://regton.com/pro-pointer-coil-ass ... using.html
Dave
Deus, 9" and 11" black coil
2019 22 Hammered
Hit my 200th hammered!

Fusion

Post by Fusion » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:05 am

Garrett's coil is glued in to the housing, with some kind of potting resin, so it's never going to come out. The GP coil slides out attached to the circuit-board, doesn't it?

sparksville

Post by sparksville » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:45 am

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies.

I have gone ahead and purchased a GP pointer in an effort to try the fix. For £10:99 its worth a try.

I ordered the replacement shell from Regtons but it bounced back with a note saying they no longer stock them ( although it is showing as in stock on the website?).

With regards to the gluey resin. the Propointer 2 does not have the resin on it but the propointer 1 does. Maybe they found a way not to use it or even worse, forgot to apply it to mine!

All the dimensions seem to match up so i will give it a try and feedback.

cheers

pengles

Post by pengles » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:00 pm

Why not just use the GP until it gives up, then change it over. I've been using my GP now for over two years, several times a week and it's still going strong.
XP Deus Light
GP pointer

Pete E

Post by Pete E » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:11 pm

sparksville wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:28 am
Good Morning,

My Garrett Pro Pointer 2 has a big hole in the end of it now after some heavy use and i have made several attempts to repair it but all failed.

My question is: do the Garrett pro pointers and the GP pointers have identical shells?

Can i remove the internals of my Garrett pro pointer2 and put them into the GP as a straight swap?

i know this maybe frowned upon and unethical to do but need must. I have tried to find a replacement shell for mine but they dont exist.

Any advise will be appreciated.

Sparksville :-)
I am pretty sure you can get plastic covers for the probe part of Pro Pointer 2 on that famous auction site..If you can, why not simply glue one in place?
Makro Racer 2
Makro Pinpointer
August EP650 Wireless headphones
TaoTronics Wireless Portable Transmitter, (Bluetooth 4.1, aptX Low Latency)

RossDG

Post by RossDG » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:02 pm

Repair resin then put a work glove finger over it?
Equinox 600
Garrett EuroACE
Pro find 35 pinpointer
Leaky wellies!

Wessexlad

Post by Wessexlad » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:15 am

pengles wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:00 pm
Why not just use the GP until it gives up, then change it over. I've been using my GP now for over two years, several times a week and it's still going strong.
Exactly what I would have suggested, the GP pointer does the job, and if/when it gives out you have a shell to experiment with. What have you got to lose?
You know you've got a weight problem when you put down a bag of salad at the self-service and the voice says "Unexpected item in bagging area".

Return to “Metal Detecting Pinpointers”