Hello from Surrey

This is not compulsory but if you would like to tell us a little about yourself then post here.
Barzi

Hello from Surrey

Post by Barzi » Sat May 18, 2019 8:40 am

Hello everyone,

I'm another metal detecting newbie and I live near Guildford, Surrey. I've been interested in history and metal detecting for a long time now but never really had the time along with other hobbies & working so I've been lurking on the forum for a while and longing to take up the hobby.

I've recently been early retired from work so now I finally have time to take up metal detecting myself. I bought a Garrett 400i and am looking forward to learning how to use it as well as the opportunity to spend more time outdoors.

I have asked around and got three permissions fairly local from me sorted out, so now to get out and practice! I've looked at joining clubs too and that will be the next step.

Have fun :)

BigDan

Re: Hello from Surrey

Post by BigDan » Sat May 18, 2019 9:23 am

Hi Barzi

Welcome to the world of metal detecting. It is a great hobby just getting out and about and finding something that’s been lost for years.

I’m over in Hampshire/surrey boarder where permissions are hard to come by so congratulations in getting a few already you’ve already overcome the biggest hurdle.

Good luck on the hunt, will be looking out for your posts ::g

Dan

tigtog

Post by tigtog » Sat May 18, 2019 8:37 pm

good luck grew up not too far from guildford
xp deus

garrett pointer (2nd one) now a makro pointer no falsing
roughneck shovel (4th one) now use a sniper spade
jeff digger

WVAM

Post by WVAM » Sun May 19, 2019 7:11 am

Welcome - whereabouts near Guildford?

You've done well to get permissions as Surrey is a difficult area. You would think the area has loads of history but there's a real gap in the record around the Romano-British era. There are bits around but most of it misses Guildford. Plenty of small WWII bits and bobs pop up as there were loads of troops in the area.
Two big land owners in the area between Guildford and Dorking are the Duke of Northumberland (Albury Estate) and the Wotton Estate. There's good history on Wotton but both estates don't allow detecting ;;z And Guildford Council says no too ;;z
If I can help with any research as I know the area well just shout and we look forward to seeing your finds on the forum.

Barzi

Post by Barzi » Sun May 19, 2019 9:15 pm

WVAM. I'm Burpham/Merrow way. The permissions obtained so far are down near Ash and over towards the east of the county so around 30-45 mins away. I'm really pleased to have got them though and don't mind the drive at all. I don't hold out much hope of getting much any closer as you have already pointed out! There is a lot of WW2 history near here but permission seems almost impossible and GBC are anti metal detecting.

Barzi

Post by Barzi » Sun May 19, 2019 9:22 pm

Thanks BigDan,

Yeah permissions seem to be hard to get around here. I did manage to get one in Ash so not a million miles from you. Looking forward to getting out and having a look around now!

FUBAR

Post by FUBAR » Mon May 20, 2019 11:01 am

Hi and welcome to the forum.Greetings from East Riding.

BigDan

Post by BigDan » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:54 pm

Barzi wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 9:22 pm
Thanks BigDan,

Yeah permissions seem to be hard to get around here. I did manage to get one in Ash so not a million miles from you. Looking forward to getting out and having a look around now!
Hi Barzi

How are you getting on with things?

Sorry haven’t been on for a while so thought I’d check to see how your are getting on

Barzi

Post by Barzi » Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:38 am

Hi BigDan

It has been very good so far, very relaxing and good for mental health (I have PTSD). I'm lucky enough to be in a position where I have been able to put the time in and learn the machine. One of my permissions has brought quite a bit up, mainly Victorian era. I've found what appears to be a dump site from when they must have renovated one of the farmhouses as old taps and door handles are coming up. I found an old regimental cap badge identified to a 20 year period from 1880 so I have been able to research who it might have belonged to by going through the various records, all interesting stuff for me. One hammered coin too which I was pleased with although I didn't realise what it was at the time. At my other permission it is mainly farming items that have come up along with buttons and buckles. I did find a horse boss that I was pleased with. I still have a lot of land to search there though. I do have a 3rd permission but waiting to get on the land and don't want to pester the landowner. It has been hard finding other permissions in Surrey, so many rejections but I keep trying!

I have started using Facebook too which has been good for joining groups. I've been out with a few different groups now and people have been very friendly and helpful. I'd encourage anyone starting off to join similar groups and have the opportunity to detect in other areas.

The 400i has been a good machine to start with. I've tried out a few others on group digs and have a feeling I will upgrade at some point.

steve1faith

Post by steve1faith » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:06 pm

hi im fairly new to detecting also and im from woking with plenty of time on my hands , i would happily come out with you to try our luck , I went for the entry level garrett ace and its very easy to use.
regards
steve

Return to “Introduce yourself here Forum”