Hello,mdf

This is not compulsory but if you would like to tell us a little about yourself then post here.
Pommie Chris.

Hello,mdf

Post by Pommie Chris. » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:16 pm

Hello, new to the forum trying to work out the site, new to detecting in the uk.Hope to get out Saturday for the first time , on the beach. See how I get on with the stones, no sand 😡 . I do a lot of my detecting in the bush ,gold prospecting so it will be different. Thank you mdf , good to read about detecting here. Pommie Chris.😎

sweepstick47

Re: Hello,mdf

Post by sweepstick47 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:31 pm

Hello Chris ::g Welcome aboard the forums. Gold prospecting always attracts interest with our members so a recollection of such a jaunt would go down well in our Finds Stories forum which is over there l;/ in the blue panel (which is where the rest of the forums are located).

"new to the forum trying to work out the site"

The Forum Guide at the top of this page should have you winging your way around the forum in no time at all. Good Luck and enjoy your time with us on the MDF ::g Regards ss47
A disservice is no service at all.

Pommie Chris.

Post by Pommie Chris. » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:42 pm

Thanks ss47 good to be here. Pommie Chris.😎

Ladybird66

Post by Ladybird66 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:17 am

Hi Chris and welcome. I think you’ll definitely find It a bit different over here. It’s raining fir a start :D
If your used to gold prospecting, have you thought about rivers and streams ? I remember seeing something on TV about a geologist, curious about sudden twists and turns had come upon the idea that over time the water washed away the soil, revealing out-crops of a particular stone. This was always associated with (I think) quartz in which gold could be found.
Haven’t a clue who he is but it was him who started the search for gold rich areas in Ireland. They now estimate there are millions of £££ of it just waiting to be dug out.
And, of course, that’s one of the things the Romans came here for in the first place.
Will be interesting to hear how you get on ::g

Saffron

Post by Saffron » Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:53 am

Hi Chris,
welcome to the UK and metal detecting over here, it will be very different to back home.

Realistically I would forget trying to find gold over here, however we have metalic history going back to the Bronze Age which I am sure you will find fascinating and trying to find a suitable challenge.

Like SS47 said we would love to hear some of your stories from gold detecting in Australia.
A couple of good stories about you adventures gold detecting out in the bush would soon get you recognised as a member on here ::g ::g

Evan

Pommie Chris.

Post by Pommie Chris. » Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:21 am

Thanks guys, yes I have done a bit of gold panning ,but I prefer detecting. I use a Gpx 5000 and sdc 2300 minelab and a 800 ,and a new 800 for the uk(Kent) I do love my English history ,to find a Roman or Celtic coin would be great. Pommie Chris.😎

Albus

Post by Albus » Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:29 pm

I've had a 3 ounce nugget from North of Mt Magnet WA with an XLT. It was only a few inches down. Plus we had lots of smaller nuggets.I now pan mostly in the South of France and Italy. The rivers are too damned cold here in the UK.
I usually run two 1 metre manual sluices fed by a hand pump.

Chris55bc

Post by Chris55bc » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:05 pm

Hey , what's up Chris as the others have said, think most of us share a passion in listening of over peoples stories and adventures, the further the better. I don't know what is, but I love watching the videos on Alaskan gold divers, stories about ancient dried-up riverbeds and all the different ways people prospect. Just thought i'd come say hi and welcome and wish you good luck,all the best buddy.

Albus

Post by Albus » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:10 pm

Theres still plenty of gold in rivers across the EU, Scotland and Wales. I much prefer the South of France because the water is warm and very clear, the booze is cheap and the food is good.

Return to “Introduce yourself here Forum”