Deus constant chattering through earphones

Only for the discussion of the Deus Metal Detector.
pengles

Deus constant chattering through earphones

Post by pengles » Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:40 am

Hi all, just wondered if anyone else has had this problem. Went away on holiday last week to a Devon farmhouse and took the Deus with me. The farmer's family had lived there for 500 years. he told me there was an ancient settlement on his land, believed Saxon and to help myself. Turned the machine on and just got a constant 'chattering' through the phones. Cleaned the coil and cover etc, and it made no difference. It was the same in several different locations around the farm, and still happening now I'm home, so it couldn't have been the farm ground, so the machine is unusable. It is the same on all programmes and reducing sens etc makes no difference. Anyone else have this problem, and if so, any idea what may be causing it?

XP Deus Light
GP pointer

f8met

Re: Deus constant chattering through earphones

Post by f8met » Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:24 am

Which coil and at what frequency were you working at? I used to have the HF coil and I could never use it above 14 as it was too noisy. I sold it in the end as it was not usable on my land.
Dave
Deus, 9" and 11" black coil
2019 24 Hammered
Hit my 200th hammered!

pengles

Post by pengles » Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:34 am

It's the basic 9" coil, and I've tried it at all frequencies, programmes etc, and it makes no difference. Just spoken to Regton and they've asked me to send it back, they'll have a look, upgrade the software to the latest version etc which might be the problem. I have to say, extremely helpful but it will be interesting to find out what's causing it.
XP Deus Light
GP pointer

Oxgirl36

Post by Oxgirl36 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:41 am

I wonder if the coil has been cracked in transit to your holiday destination? I’d look over it carefully. It sounds like a coil fault to me.

Do you have another coil you can test?
Carpe vinum

XP Deus !!£$ I use the HOT programme on 17khz, reactivity at 2.5 on v5.21 with the X35 11” coil

Hammered silver 2019 - 23 B-)

pengles

Post by pengles » Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:13 pm

No, the coil is intact, it was on a car seat all the way and hasn't been mistreated at all. I've tried it again this morning and it started off chattering then suddenly cleared, but there's obviously an underlying problem.
XP Deus Light
GP pointer

Blackadder43
Admin

Post by Blackadder43 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:19 pm

Its not something silly like a phone interfering? or even a smart watch?

I have been out detecting with a good friend who owns a Deus and we have to keep at least 30 foot away from each other as my nox in multi frequency plays havoc with the Deus
When you are right no one remembers; when you are wrong no one forgets

pengles

Post by pengles » Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:30 pm

No, didn't have my phone with me, no power lines etc and haven't got a smart watch. It's nothing in the ground as it's happening everywhere. It's a mystery...
XP Deus Light
GP pointer

Blackadder43
Admin

Post by Blackadder43 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:31 pm

I have never owned a Deus but is there such a thing as a factory reset?..just incase a setting is causing your issue?
When you are right no one remembers; when you are wrong no one forgets

Oxgirl36

Post by Oxgirl36 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:40 pm

pengles wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:13 pm
No, the coil is intact, it was on a car seat all the way and hasn't been mistreated at all. I've tried it again this morning and it started off chattering then suddenly cleared, but there's obviously an underlying problem.
Glad it’s sorted for now. I’d give Regton’s a call if it happens again though ::g
Carpe vinum

XP Deus !!£$ I use the HOT programme on 17khz, reactivity at 2.5 on v5.21 with the X35 11” coil

Hammered silver 2019 - 23 B-)

Bootneck45RM

Post by Bootneck45RM » Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:17 pm

Hi pengles,
Only a long shot, but has the deus overheated recently, or been left with the control unit in the sun.
Any motherboard with a fault or the tiniest defect could if overheated cause problems due to minute expansions, both intermittent and of a similar nature.
Is the deus in a certain position or time of day (ie:when hot like recently) shortly before showing the problem.
Try using it when as cool as possible to see if the fault replicates itself.
Otherwise what a beggar!
Hope its sorted soon.
Len
Go not quietly into the dark night - take a torch and a trumpet! - and cause a rucus!

Junior

Post by Junior » Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:52 pm

A long shòt is it a full dues or a lite...if full have u inadvertent changed the channel on the head phone to a different coil.??? ::g

Buriedbytime&dust

Post by Buriedbytime&dust » Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:49 pm

Blackadder43 wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:31 pm
I have never owned a Deus but is there such a thing as a factory reset?..just incase a setting is causing your issue?

One of the major plus points of the Deus, in my opinion, is that you can play around with any settings and just switch off and on again to reset. If you don't actively save your settings, you have a blank canvas once again.

For a true "factory reset", you need to hook it up to your PC/laptop and reinstall whatever version you're on.

pengles

Post by pengles » Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:56 am

Bootneck45RM wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:17 pm
Hi pengles,
Only a long shot, but has the deus overheated recently, or been left with the control unit in the sun.
Any motherboard with a fault or the tiniest defect could if overheated cause problems due to minute expansions, both intermittent and of a similar nature.
Is the deus in a certain position or time of day (ie:when hot like recently) shortly before showing the problem.
Try using it when as cool as possible to see if the fault replicates itself.
Otherwise what a beggar!
Hope its sorted soon.
Len
Hi, thanks for the advice. It hasn't been left in the car in the heat, I'm very wary of leaving anything with batteries in the car as there have been nasty stories of things going bang etc. The shop seem to think it's a software problem, so it's going back for them to have a look. If anyone else on the forum suffers a similar problem I'll post the result for info. Thanks
XP Deus Light
GP pointer

pengles

Post by pengles » Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:58 am

Junior wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:52 pm
A long shòt is it a full dues or a lite...if full have u inadvertent changed the channel on the head phone to a different coil.??? ::g
Thanks, no it's the lite version, so I couldn't have changed the coil option, just seems like a random glitch at the moment.
XP Deus Light
GP pointer

Pete E

Post by Pete E » Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:10 am

You sending the headphones back as well just in case they are the source of the issue?
Makro Racer 2
Makro Pinpointer
August EP650 Wireless headphones
TaoTronics Wireless Portable Transmitter, (Bluetooth 4.1, aptX Low Latency)

pengles

Post by pengles » Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:51 am

Pete E wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:10 am
You sending the headphones back as well just in case they are the source of the issue?
Oh yes, the lot has now been sent off.
XP Deus Light
GP pointer

pengles

Re: Deus constant chattering through earphones. Solved (hopefully)

Post by pengles » Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:20 am

Sent the coil and puck off on Monday, returned first thing this morning, so a brilliant service.The shop couldn't find any problem with the equipment, but suspected it was a software issue, so they have kindly upgraded it to the latest version. As soon as the field behind my house has been harvested I'll give it a good try out.
XP Deus Light
GP pointer

namrepap321

Post by namrepap321 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:30 pm

Hello pengles,
I have a deus lite and had the same trouble earlier this year. I was detecting a riverbank near where I live, and the deus just started acting up. No matter what I did it would not stop, I tried everything. I had only had the deus for a few months. It was giving out a series of very annoying non-stop tones high to low in the earphones constantly. I had used my AT Pro many times along the same river many times before with no problems. Eventually I rang Regtons, and spoke to marcus, he had never heard of this problem with the deus before and was very intrigued about this. After several of his suggestions, he said if it didn't stop, send the coil back to them. However, once I was out away from that area, the deus acted normally again! It's been fine ever since as well. Very recently, I forgot about this occurrence and went back with the deus lite to the same area, and it started acting up again! There are no power lines visible anywhere either. Something somewhere is affecting the detector, what that is I haven't a clue, so I don't use it there now.

Tomo

Post by Tomo » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:16 pm

Strangely I've just packed up 2 deus to send off for repair and one has this problem, no.matter were I try it :-/
Xp deus

pengles

Post by pengles » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:56 am

Tomo wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:16 pm
Strangely I've just packed up 2 deus to send off for repair and one has this problem, no.matter were I try it :-/
Hmm, at first I thought it might be the location but it was the same in several different ones. Regton's couldn't find anything wrong with the equipment but have now updated the kit to the latest software. haven't had time to try it out in anger yet, but will post when I manage get out again. Thanks for the replies.
XP Deus Light
GP pointer

Bibelot

Post by Bibelot » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:01 pm

you can use the frequency offset with the newest updated version through the headphones., Maybe it'll help. Go to frequency setting on the headphones. Press the menu and hold for 5 seconds, now you will be able to shift the frequency by using the + and - buttons. I hope this helps.
XP deus, Makro racer, Makro Racer 2 , Makro Multi Kruzer, Makro Anfibio

Tomo

Post by Tomo » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:04 am

Hope its sorted. I got one of the deus,s back from repair the other day (deus lite) which had been reflashed and came back with version 5.21 installed but that too came back chattering as if getting constant interference from emi. Rolling it back to 4.1 (what it was originally on before repair,) seemed to sort it.
The other deus in for repair for constant interference chattering has been sent to france for xp to look at.
Xp deus

JunkFinder

Post by JunkFinder » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:01 am

I had this problem with the chatter a few years back. My coil ended up going back to xp in France. Turned out to be a hairline crack inside the coil. Xp fixed it under warranty and had it back to me within 2 weeks. Been fine ever since.
XP Deus Lite 11" Coil
Minelab Equinox 600
Garret Pro Pointer
8 milled silver, 2 Hammered, 1 Roman Denarius, 4 Roman Bronze, 2 Roman Brooches

pengles

Post by pengles » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:09 am

Well, the upgrade to the latest software version seems to have put a stop to the chattering. went out the other and and it was perfect again. I can only presume this was the problem. Fingers crossed, and thanks for the feedback.
XP Deus Light
GP pointer

mrcheeky

Post by mrcheeky » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:02 am

check this guy for the deus on youtube mate MetalDetecting24
South London Metal Detector

Tomo

Post by Tomo » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:35 am

mrcheeky wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:02 am
check this guy for the deus on youtube mate MetalDetecting24
Does he have a video related to the topic of chattering and interference and if so which one mrcheeky.
Xp deus

Return to “XP DEUS Forum”