'Old coal pit' on map.

Post your topics related to useful resources and research.
Easylife

'Old coal pit' on map.

Post by Easylife » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:28 pm

My mate has just acquired a rather large pasture permission. A late 1800's map shows at least seven of the fields to have had “Old coal pits” on them. I'm not sure whether that just refers to surface mining or shafts also, but the map appears to show both?
Edit: A map 10 years later shows then as "Old coal shafts".
Old coal pits.png
So would I be right to think that any overburden should just be local to the “Old coal pits” and older targets should not be buried beneath several feet of extra earth spread over the entire fields?
Any ideas of what is likely to have actually happened to the land during and after the mining process?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Nox 800, 15" coil & Garrett carrot.
White's TDI SL

BazButtons

Re: 'Old coal pit' on map.

Post by BazButtons » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:47 pm

It might be referring to bell pits,these were shallow shafts that widened put at the bottom,this was a common form of mining in medieval times.
If the mines were later deep shaft mines there might be pit spoil spread out around the area.

coal digger

Post by coal digger » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:52 pm

Tell your mate to turn around and walk away and forget he ever had that conversation with the land owner :D . =)) .But seriously from the local social history side of things it should be good in respects to finds such as pit and lantern checks. Parts of my main permission have much the same as your mates with early viccy shafts and i find lots of checks etc.

The downside is he won't get deep enough to find any major age related finds due to the bi-product (slag )which will cover the area to at least 6 inch deep and his detector will sound like it's dropped an acid tab.

Good luck with it though,cd ::g
Never wish this day gone, as this day can never be replaced

Pete E

Post by Pete E » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:07 am

Easylife wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:28 pm
My mate has just acquired a rather large pasture permission. A late 1800's map shows at least seven of the fields to have had “Old coal pits” on them. I'm not sure whether that just refers to surface mining or shafts also, but the map appears to show both?
Edit: A map 10 years later shows then as "Old coal shafts".

Old coal pits.png

So would I be right to think that any overburden should just be local to the “Old coal pits” and older targets should not be buried beneath several feet of extra earth spread over the entire fields?
Any ideas of what is likely to have actually happened to the land during and after the mining process?
One of my permissions has old workings like this..They they seem to go back to the late 1700's and 1800's, but I haven't done any serious research to see exactly what was there.

What I do know is that the fields in the immediate area are full of scrap iron of various sorts and are a nightmare to detect over.

We have only had one hammered off there and that was on a footpath route well away from the shafts..everything else that has come up as been Victorian, give or take a few years..

Strangely we have not found any pit related items (expect maybe harness buckles) nor is there a lot of coke, but the scrap iron from the remains of buildings/ structures ect is a major PITA.
Makro Racer 2
Makro Pinpointer
August EP650 Wireless headphones
TaoTronics Wireless Portable Transmitter, (Bluetooth 4.1, aptX Low Latency)

Return to “Research Section Forum”