1st Hammered of 2020 : Commonwealth

Please tell us a little about your finds and if possible add a few pictures.
Post Reply
User avatar
Dave8472
Moderator
Posts: 11387
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:52 pm
Location: Kent
Has thanked: 566 times
Been thanked: 446 times

1st Hammered of 2020 : Commonwealth

Post by Dave8472 »

Hi all, been on 16 digs so far this year and had lots of milled silver but no hammered :(

Popped out yesterday to one of my pasture sites, its been well smashed but its in perfect condition at the moment, been well clipped by the horses and they have been moved out to another paddock, so no nosey horses :))

Its a very iron infested site so a very careful slow search and gridded by markers and GPS. I had previously found a gold posy ring in this corner so knew it was a good spot.

Very happy with my first one and its a type that I haven't found before, so another ticked off my bucket list ::g

Equinox 800, Field 1, Recovery 6, Iron Bias 3, Sen 22, GB 0.

Commonwealth Half Groat c.1649-1660 AD

Dave ):=
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.


Minelab Equinox 800 : 15", 11", 6” Coils
XP Deus v3.2 - WS5 : 9" Coil
Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Garmin eTrex 20 GPS
Past Detectors : Explorer Se Pro, CTX3030

User avatar
PinkFloyd
Posts: 733
Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:31 pm
Been thanked: 408 times

Re: 1st Hammered of 2020 : Commonwealth

Post by PinkFloyd »

Great find ::g , love digging up the commonwealth.
Not had that many to be honest, so when one pops out it’s a great feeling

User avatar
ratty
Posts: 558
Joined: Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:42 am
Location: Banbury
Has thanked: 466 times
Been thanked: 338 times

Re: 1st Hammered of 2020 : Commonwealth

Post by ratty »

Very nice, and super pics.. ::g

User avatar
Bors
Posts: 1515
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:24 pm
Has thanked: 186 times
Been thanked: 984 times

Re: 1st Hammered of 2020 : Commonwealth

Post by Bors »

Yes I think they're unique in the fact they are the only coins to have no monarchs head on one side of the coin since 792 of coinage in Britain.Obviously because the Commonwealth coin was not a monarchy. However ,Cromwell had actually come to be the Lord Protector, who was king in all but name,but the Lord Protector "Old Noll " remained in fact ,a military dictator whichever way it was seen, and thank God he had the brains to realize what he had become and eventually called for the reinstatement of the Monarchy which eventually saw Charles 2nd crowned King.
Another little known fact is that upon each succession the monarchs head has always alternated left to right then right to left as each monarchs succession to the throne from the reign of Charles 2nd. But from the day of 1st May 1840 when stamps first appeared ,each Monarchs head on STAMPS have always faced to the left .
Beware of the Man who shoots with only One gun.

User avatar
Blackadder43
Admin
Posts: 11611
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:34 pm
Location: Somerset
Has thanked: 1464 times
Been thanked: 1325 times

Re: 1st Hammered of 2020 : Commonwealth

Post by Blackadder43 »

Well found Dave, nice little coin to be able to hear and winkle out amongst the iron ::g

Actually it is also a good lesson in perseverance and knowledge that your field could and should have more finds hidden in it.
I have detected with folk before who spend an hour on a field and declare it empty and barren
It just shows that conditions and circumstances can change everything
When you are right no one remembers; when you are wrong no one forgets

User avatar
Oxgirl36
Moderator
Posts: 12704
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:54 pm
Location: A Lancastrian living in sunny Oxfordshire
Has thanked: 5187 times
Been thanked: 6003 times

Re: 1st Hammered of 2020 : Commonwealth

Post by Oxgirl36 »

Nice coin. Never found one personally and would love to. Jealous :D
Carpe vinum

XP Deus !!£$ I use the HOT programme on 17khz, reactivity at 2.5 on v5.21 with the X35 11” coil

NoxHunter
Posts: 279
Joined: Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:37 am
Has thanked: 73 times
Been thanked: 138 times

Re: 1st Hammered of 2020 : Commonwealth

Post by NoxHunter »

Nice find well done 👍
🏴‍☠️ Minelab Equinox Dirt Fishing For Gold.Silver.Copper.Bronze 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 Staffordshire 🇬🇧

Wardie94
Posts: 300
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:19 pm
Has thanked: 137 times
Been thanked: 193 times

Re: 1st Hammered of 2020 : Commonwealth

Post by Wardie94 »

I found one in January in great condition I’ve always liked the design of these coins... fantastic find 👍
Equinox 800
Market rasen based
Vice President of LHRG ( Lincolnshire historical recovery group )

User avatar
Mike. T.
Posts: 81
Joined: Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:10 pm
Location: Chester
Been thanked: 67 times

Re: 1st Hammered of 2020 : Commonwealth

Post by Mike. T. »

Nice coin. Only ever found one Commonwealth coin, many years ago. Would love to find another or better still a siege coin, probably got more chance of winning the lottery than that though. :D

A coin from a truly fascinating and turbulent period of British history.

User avatar
fred
Posts: 11424
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:15 pm
Location: Kent
Has thanked: 2949 times
Been thanked: 7052 times

Re: 1st Hammered of 2020 : Commonwealth

Post by fred »

Bors wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:00 am
Yes I think they're unique in the fact they are the only coins to have no monarchs head on one side of the coin since 792 of coinage in Britain.Obviously because the Commonwealth coin was not a monarchy. However ,Cromwell had actually come to be the Lord Protector, who was king in all but name,but the Lord Protector "Old Noll " remained in fact ,a military dictator whichever way it was seen, and thank God he had the brains to realize what he had become and eventually called for the reinstatement of the Monarchy which eventually saw Charles 2nd crowned King.
Another little known fact is that upon each succession the monarchs head has always alternated left to right then right to left as each monarchs succession to the throne from the reign of Charles 2nd. But from the day of 1st May 1840 when stamps first appeared ,each Monarchs head on STAMPS have always faced to the left .

Except for many Anglo Saxon silver pennies, gold Angels and fractions, noble fractions, Tudor silver halfpennies and farthings after Henry VIII, James Ist spur ryals, thistle crowns, groats, half groats, silver and rose farthings, Life is too short to try and remember all the rest but Charles I had several too.

And while we are at it James II issued coins with the head facing both left and right! :D

PS Great photos of a nice coin! The closeup is a masterpiece. ::g
Last edited by fred on Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Equinox 800 x2

User avatar
Bors
Posts: 1515
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:24 pm
Has thanked: 186 times
Been thanked: 984 times

Re: 1st Hammered of 2020 : Commonwealth

Post by Bors »

u;@ touché :D
Beware of the Man who shoots with only One gun.

User avatar
fred
Posts: 11424
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:15 pm
Location: Kent
Has thanked: 2949 times
Been thanked: 7052 times

Re: 1st Hammered of 2020 : Commonwealth

Post by fred »

Bors wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:15 pm
u;@ touché :D

Pedantic me, surely not! :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Equinox 800 x2

User avatar
ratty
Posts: 558
Joined: Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:42 am
Location: Banbury
Has thanked: 466 times
Been thanked: 338 times

Re: 1st Hammered of 2020 : Commonwealth

Post by ratty »

I.D that one easily...

1982 (June 16 1982)
Commemorative

Designed by Trickett & Webb Ltd
Size 41mm (h) x 30mm (v)
Printed by Harrison & Sons Ltd
Print Process Photogravure
Number per sheet 100
Perforations 15 x 14
Gum PVA Dextrin

:)) :))

User avatar
Bargeman
Posts: 2643
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:25 pm
Location: Newbury
Has thanked: 1097 times
Been thanked: 1747 times
Contact:

Re: 1st Hammered of 2020 : Commonwealth

Post by Bargeman »

Oxgirl36 wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:25 pm
Nice coin. Never found one personally and would love to. Jealous :D

Exactly what I thought ::g

Nice find

Equinox 800
Rutus Alter 71

User avatar
Bors
Posts: 1515
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:24 pm
Has thanked: 186 times
Been thanked: 984 times

Re: 1st Hammered of 2020 : Commonwealth

Post by Bors »

fred wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:27 pm
Bors wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:15 pm
u;@ touché :D

Pedantic me, surely not! :D
Well, I can only go by from a similar piece from what it says on the Internet Fred .
I only threw the little snippet of info in ,as it caught my eye being as we were discussing head directions and I didn`t feel the need for me to go about contesting it, either way, I just put it in & I took it for what it was.
Thats what was quoted and thats what I quoted . d;]

" Why does the Queen's head face to the right on coins,
Since the time of Charles II, the direction in which the monarch's head faces on coins has changed with every succeeding monarch. The same does not apply to stamps - the monarch always faces left."
Beware of the Man who shoots with only One gun.

User avatar
fred
Posts: 11424
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:15 pm
Location: Kent
Has thanked: 2949 times
Been thanked: 7052 times

Re: 1st Hammered of 2020 : Commonwealth

Post by fred »

Bors wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:36 pm
fred wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:27 pm
Bors wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:15 pm
u;@ touché :D

Pedantic me, surely not! :D
Well, I can only go by from a similar piece from what it says on the Internet Fred .
I only threw the little snippet of info in ,as it caught my eye being as we were discussing head directions and I didn`t feel the need for me to go about contesting it, either way, I just put it in & I took it for what it was.
Thats what was quoted and thats what I quoted . d;]

" Why does the Queen's head face to the right on coins,
Since the time of Charles II, the direction in which the monarch's head faces on coins has changed with every succeeding monarch. The same does not apply to stamps - the monarch always faces left."

Just shows you why the Internet is so fraught with elephant traps. Don't even start me on the PAS database! :D
Equinox 800 x2

User avatar
Dave8472
Moderator
Posts: 11387
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:52 pm
Location: Kent
Has thanked: 566 times
Been thanked: 446 times

Re: 1st Hammered of 2020 : Commonwealth

Post by Dave8472 »

Oi you lot, stop taking my post off topic x;

Will get me in trouble with the boss =))

Dave ):=
Minelab Equinox 800 : 15", 11", 6” Coils
XP Deus v3.2 - WS5 : 9" Coil
Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Garmin eTrex 20 GPS
Past Detectors : Explorer Se Pro, CTX3030

Post Reply

Return to “Finds - Stories Forum”